Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greeley Hat Works

I just stumbled upon this hatter
http://greeleyhatworks.com/gallery.cfm

They make really cool custom hats that are outside of what I've seen from typical hatters. Does anyone have experience with them or information to share? Their products range from traditional western to fedora to absolute custom where your imagination is the limit

I have one of their rabbit westerns. It’s an entry level hat that retailers for about $350. It’s decent, but nothing special. Based on my very limited exposure, I’d say they are not the value that VS, Gannon, Phoenix, Northwest, etc. are.

I seem to recall that @bowlerman has one or two of their hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was in Sisters Oregon last August and Greeley Hatworks was having a trunk show at a local western store. He had many hat samples, colour swatches and a conformateur to measure your head. I looked at his offerings as I really liked the colours of felt he had available. He makes a nice hat but the stopping point for me were his price points. If you have a style you like, most hatters can replicate it for you to your specifications. Just send them a picture.

His hats, while good quality, were no better than any of the other custom hatters I have commissioned hats from over the years. Yet his prices were upwards double of many of the custom hatters. While I was curious I just could not justify the extra $$$ he was asking for his hats.

I just stumbled upon this hatter
http://greeleyhatworks.com/gallery.cfm

They make really cool custom hats that are outside of what I've seen from typical hatters. Does anyone have experience with them or information to share? Their products range from traditional western to fedora to absolute custom where your imagination is the limit

I forget the exact number but while it is a custom house I think they operate closer to a production facility. The number of hats he produces is staggering compared to the "one off' that the hatters we know produce. I think it was upwards of 10 a day. So he has many elves working for him it would seem. The sales rep would not disclose the source of his felts but based on the colours they are def not Winchester unless he commissions his own colour palette. Which is entirely possible based on his numbers..

I have a "Competitor" that I picked up used (for less than $15).

http://greeleyhatworks.com/clothing...r/greeley-hat-works/competitor-black-pid-6014

greely_competitor-jpg.140286

Cowboy stiff, but with a nice hand. It runs smaller than the stated size (so will be up for sale soon). Not sure I'd pay full retail for one (but I've only paid full retail for one hat in my life anyway).

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I was in Sisters Oregon last August and Greeley Hatworks was having a trunk show at a local western store. He had many hat samples, colour swatches and a conformateur to measure your head. I looked at his offerings as I really liked the colours of felt he had available. He makes a nice hat but the stopping point for me were his price points. If you have a style you like, most hatters can replicate it for you to your specifications. Just send them a picture.

His hats, while good quality, were no better than any of the other custom hatters I have commissioned hats from over the years. Yet his prices were upwards double of many of the custom hatters. While I was curious I just could not justify the extra $$$ he was asking for his hats.
Good to know thanks for your input!
I was wondering if the higher price point = better. Not always the case and photos never show the details clearly for hats

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I forget the exact number but while it is a custom house I think they operate closer to a production facility. The number of hats he produces is staggering compared to the "one off' that the hatters we know produce. I think it was upwards of 10 a day. So he has many elves working for him it would seem. The sales rep would not disclose the source of his felts but based on the colours they are def not Winchester unless he commissions his own colour palette. Which is entirely possible based on his numbers..
if it's not Winchester and they're American, I wonder what felt they use then

JessieJames

One of the Regulars

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
... or something. A "local" auction in Minnesota that allowed online bidding. @Short Balding Guy was a huge help in getting them shipped to Missouri.
I wanna come across a really great find.
I found a Resistol 4x self conforming at an antique store recently in my size, but the brim ( a true western) was too long so even if I reshaped it wasn't my style and the felt didn't look great quality, looked very "wooly" so it just wasn't worth the hassle. But I'm hoping one of these days I'll get lucky!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I wanna come across a really great find.
I found a Resistol 4x self conforming at an antique store recently in my size, but the brim ( a true western) was too long so even if I reshaped it wasn't my style and the felt didn't look great quality, looked very "wooly" so it just wasn't worth the hassle. But I'm hoping one of these days I'll get lucky!
Resistols are good hats to rework. I've reworked a lot of them. They can easily be reblocked and the brim can be cut down to a width that you like and reshaped. In fact, when it comes to doing conversions I prefer a Resistol ten times over a Stetson of that era.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael