Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green Acres is the place to be

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Looks like a tyrolean hat to me. If my eyes don't deceive me, it has that stringy thing around the crown instead of a "real" ribbon.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, they are usually in a plush/velour/velvet finish and have a two layer "rope" band with huge feather

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I believe you guys are right, alpine/Tyrolean hat. I looked them up, and they seem to be almost a novelty hat, like one would pick up in a tourist attraction, but they don't really wear...[huh] I still like it, and would like to find one, that's not in cheap felt lol, well, preferably still cheap, but doesn't' look it :rolleyes:

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Hats like these are actually worn over here, but mostly by older folks or as part of a trachten outfit.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I've always loved Oliver's hat, too. I've got a vintage one very similar to his, and I wear it often (in cooler weather):
Picture433.jpg

usa001.jpg

It's a great winter hat. I saw an ad once for a straw Tyrolean; I wish I could get hold of one of those.

Caity Lynn said:
I believe you guys are right, alpine/Tyrolean hat. I looked them up, and they seem to be almost a novelty hat, like one would pick up in a tourist attraction, but they don't really wear...[huh] I still like it, and would like to find one, that's not in cheap felt lol, well, preferably still cheap, but doesn't' look it :rolleyes:

People wore that style hat here in the US. They were imported and made by US hat companies. The best vintage ones in my opinion are Habig, Hückel and the Italians (Borsalino, Barbisio, Cervo, Panizza).

This page from German - Austrian thread has a bunch of Alpen hats.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33795&page=4

Juantyone way to go!

Selentino (TONAK) would be a good choice. Bittner, Guerra, Biltmore and Zapf are some others. Zapf is probably the best made of the current production hats. You can also find vintage ones on eBay for little $. For vintage I would go with Habig, Hückel , Borsalino, Barbisio and Panizza.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Kewl! those hats are great! the only ones I could really find were, costume pieces, guess I just don't know where to . Unfortunately I don't have a hundred bucks to spend at the min...so, I'll be looking wistfully until I do. :D

also, how tall are they generally? I look dreadful in tall crowns.

The crowns heights vary but in general they are under 5 inches. Like I said you can find a nice vintage one for little $$ on eBay. What size do you wear?

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'm not sure what size I need really, I have a hat that fits nicely, so I paper clipped the tape measure to the inside band and it was 21 3/8 ? so...whatever that translates to (if it even does, It's a really cheap hat) [huh]

Caity Lynn said:
I'm not sure what size I need really, I have a hat that fits nicely, so I paper clipped the tape measure to the inside band and it was 21 3/8 ? so...whatever that translates to (if it even does, It's a really cheap hat) [huh]

Should be able to find a nice vintage one on eBay in your size (6 7/8, 55cm) for little $$. If I see a nice one I will send you a PM.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Lots of these hats on eBay

mayserwegener said:
Should be able to find a nice vintage one on eBay in your size (6 7/8, 55cm) for little $$. If I see a nice one I will send you a PM.

He's right Caity Lynn. Trolling the bay, I see a lot of these hats usually listed as fedoras and they go cheaply. Nice construction though, just not to some people's tastes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass