• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Green Acres is the place to be

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Caity Lynn, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Caity Lynn

Caity Lynn Practically Family

2. tortswon

tortswon Practically Family

Funny, I like those that Lisa (Eva) is wearing, especially in that first link.

3. OddSteve

OddSteve Familiar Face

Looks like a tyrolean hat to me. If my eyes don't deceive me, it has that stringy thing around the crown instead of a "real" ribbon.

4. Yes, they are usually in a plush/velour/velvet finish and have a two layer "rope" band with huge feather

5. Caity Lynn

I believe you guys are right, alpine/Tyrolean hat. I looked them up, and they seem to be almost a novelty hat, like one would pick up in a tourist attraction, but they don't really wear...[huh] I still like it, and would like to find one, that's not in cheap felt lol, well, preferably still cheap, but doesn't' look it :rolleyes:

6. OddSteve

OddSteve Familiar Face

Hats like these are actually worn over here, but mostly by older folks or as part of a trachten outfit.

7. Jauntyone

Jauntyone Practically Family

I've always loved Oliver's hat, too. I've got a vintage one very similar to his, and I wear it often (in cooler weather):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a great winter hat. I saw an ad once for a straw Tyrolean; I wish I could get hold of one of those.

8. Jauntyone

Jauntyone Practically Family

9. People wore that style hat here in the US. They were imported and made by US hat companies. The best vintage ones in my opinion are Habig, Hückel and the Italians (Borsalino, Barbisio, Cervo, Panizza).

This page from German - Austrian thread has a bunch of Alpen hats.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33795&page=4

Juantyone way to go!

Selentino (TONAK) would be a good choice. Bittner, Guerra, Biltmore and Zapf are some others. Zapf is probably the best made of the current production hats. You can also find vintage ones on eBay for little $. For vintage I would go with Habig, Hückel , Borsalino, Barbisio and Panizza.

10. OddSteve

OddSteve Familiar Face

Hey Jauntyone,
    that one really suits you :eusa_clap

11. Caity Lynn

Kewl! those hats are great! the only ones I could really find were, costume pieces, guess I just don't know where to . Unfortunately I don't have a hundred bucks to spend at the min...so, I'll be looking wistfully until I do. :D

also, how tall are they generally? I look dreadful in tall crowns.

12. The crowns heights vary but in general they are under 5 inches. Like I said you can find a nice vintage one for little $$ on eBay. What size do you wear?

13. OddSteve

OddSteve Familiar Face

14. Caity Lynn

I'm not sure what size I need really, I have a hat that fits nicely, so I paper clipped the tape measure to the inside band and it was 21 3/8 ? so...whatever that translates to (if it even does, It's a really cheap hat) [huh]

15. Should be able to find a nice vintage one on eBay in your size (6 7/8, 55cm) for little $$. If I see a nice one I will send you a PM.

16. Caity Lynn

I'd appreciate it!

17. munchausen

munchausen One of the Regulars

Lots of these hats on eBay

He's right Caity Lynn. Trolling the bay, I see a lot of these hats usually listed as fedoras and they go cheaply. Nice construction though, just not to some people's tastes.