Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings Gents...new on here and just ordered my first custom fedora

Angeleyes

New in Town
Just wanted to start by saying Happy New Year to all and I look forward to meeting and chatting with some of you! I just ordered my first custom fedora--decided to go with an Optimo, which I believe to be a fine choice. Kevin and everyone there have been a pleasure to work with thus far.

I have a question for some of you guys, however, and I have done some research but am still somewhat unsure of the answer. When I had my head measured locally (and by myself), I was essentially a size 7 (22 Inches), however, a Stetson 7 was too small and tight for me--plus, I know that the felt shrinks, especially in HOT weather. The 7 1/8 was much better, as I was almost swimming in the 7 1/4. Should I go with the 7 1/8 then, which had a little comfortable room for potential shrinking or go slightly higher in size? Just not sure of how much an Optimo might shrink ultimately...

Thank you for the guidance and help, it is much appreciated! I look forward to researching the site even more.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Tell the people at Optimo how large your head is and ask them to make the hat to fit your head. Being experienced hatters they should hopefully take into account how much the hat is likely to shrink and what size it should be made to get a good fit.

At least when I spoke to Art Fawcett (considering the hat I will buy one day when I have more investable income) he told me just to tell him my head size and that he would make sure the hat is made to fit. As in I am 59.5cm but he would make sure the hat fits me, which doesn't mean the hat will neccessarily measure that much but shrinking would be accounted for.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
So you bought an Optimo from "the other Optimo" - Optimo Hat Works in AZ? I don't believe that I've seen any of Kevin's hats since he left Chicago. I hope you'll post photos when you get the hat.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Angeleyes

New in Town
LOL. I am in Chicago often, and have also been working with Kevin over the phone. Thanks for the welcome.

Angeleyes

New in Town
I figured that they would account for shrinking of the hat, but I suppose that I just wanted to know for my own personal knowledge. I will likely ask Kevin when we speak next. Thanks! I need to get back to a vintage straight razor that I am restoring with beautiful custom abalone scales! Should come out beautifully!

Everybody have a nice evening...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Custom hatters will have blocks between the commercial sizes of the 6`s and 7`s. I think they have them in 1/8`s of inches - so ignore the 7`s and give them your inch size to the exact 1/16th...or 1/8th.

Angeleyes

New in Town
daizawaguy said:
Custom hatters will have blocks between the commercial sizes of the 6`s and 7`s. I think they have them in 1/8`s of inches - so ignore the 7`s and give them your inch size to the exact 1/16th...or 1/8th.

Great, thanks so much for the suggestion! I appreciate it. I have had several fedoras, of various brand, age, and quality, so the sizes on them are slightly varying (mainly due to age and use) from a hair over 7 to 7 1/4 or even 7 1/2 on one of my vintage Italian lids.

Angeleyes

New in Town
I was glad to catch Kevin this past Saturday at Optimo (he has been a great help, as well as Tiffany). Anyway, many thanks to everyone there for all of the guidance and assistance. Very professional and friendly--beautiful hats and store!

4and1

One of the Regulars
Angeleyes said:
...vintage straight razor that I am restoring with beautiful custom abalone scales!

I'm sure some of us would be interested in seeing pictures of that. If you can, please post some in 'General Attire and Accouterments'.

Angeleyes

New in Town
4and1 said:
I'm sure some of us would be interested in seeing pictures of that. If you can, please post some in 'General Attire and Accouterments'.

That would be my pleasure--I had a wonderful source help me with the green abalone scales, and the blade is from the late forties and is literally like new now. Was barely ever used! It's a Filarmonica Doble Temple 13 (Spanish company) with beautiful, spotless gold wash on the blade. It was a great find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay