Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey topcoat Vs. Grey herringbone

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I want to buy a new topcoat and J. Banks is having a sale that ends today, so I'm going to order online. My question is this: is a plain grey wool coat 'dressier' than a grey wool with a herringbone pattern? Discuss.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I want to buy a new topcoat and J. Banks is having a sale that ends today, so I'm going to order online. My question is this: is a plain grey wool coat 'dressier' than a grey wool with a herringbone pattern? Discuss.

I have a strange feeling they'll have another sale! That being said, I agree with Philalethes. Solid is dressier, but herringbone is just fine (and my preference).

carldelo

One Too Many
You may have already made your choice - if not, you might consider this herringbone overcoat from J. Peterman:
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Outerwear/Herringbone-Caped-Coat
The fabric should be good - the Donegal fabric on the tweed suit is nice and heavy, and with the 16% discount from the banner ad at the lounge the price is pretty good. Luckily the shoulder cape unbuttons, so you don't have to look like Sherlock Holmes, unless you want to, of course.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Thanks for the discussion, gentlemen. I decided to go with the Herringbone pattern. My thoughts were this: The Herringbone probably hides the dirt better (Yes, this was how I decided which coat to buy. I'm serious.). Here in Rhode Island, and especially this winter, we are getting snow every other day. With snow comes salt and sand. And as a result of that mix, I'm always finding my sleeve or the back of my coat with the white patches that go along with trying to get in the car, in the winter, while holding a briefcase, coffee, etc. And, I do have an occasional cigar in the car, from time to time, and if I drop some ash here and there, my coat won't be revealing my secret. If you want to check out the two I was hung up on (and if you want to pick up a nice coat at a really good price), hit the J. Banks website and take a look at products 14404 and 14408.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo