Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guns and shooting advice?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Good for you Kitty. I especially like your attitude toward learning about safe, proper use.

My dad is a lifetime NRA member and always had firearms in the house when I was a kid, although I knew better than to go near them. Once when I was about 12 I found a pistol in my parents room. I didn't touch it and realized then that I should learn how to handle it safely. My dad always promised to "upgrade" me from the BB gun to a .22 when I turned 18, but my mother promptly nipped that one in the bud.

My dad is SO excited about this. I never knew until today that he did competition shooting in high school (his school had a shooting range in the basement!) He recommended that I take the NRA course and has offered to help me pay for it if I choose to go that route, because these are skills that he really wants me to have.

In any case, many, many thanks to everyone here for the kind words and sage advice. It is much appreciated!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
KittyT said:
A friend of mine has convinced me to join her Second Amendment Sisters club and learn how to shoot. I won't go into my political views on guns here, but learning to shoot is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and I think it's important to learn proper gun use and safety, even if you never intend to own one. So... I'm going to go and I'm sure it will be a ton of fun.

Cool! Shooting is fun. I don't shoot recreationally as of right now (although I hope that'll change!), but I've been able to learn how to shoot, use a gun safely, and got to shoot a bunch of different guns. Very fun. Knowing how to safely use a gun is something everyone should know, in my opinion - whether they like them or not.

Ear protection. Eye protection. Oh, and wear a high-necked shirt. Covering skin is a Good Thing when hot brass is flying around. :)

Starting out with a .22 is a good idea - at least, to get the hang of things. But don't let it stop you if you can't. I think if you know you want to shoot and you know you want to have fun, just try everything. Some you'll like, some you won't like, but you won't know until you try!

Feraud

Bartender
KittyT said:
My dad is a lifetime NRA member and always had firearms in the house when I was a kid, although I knew better than to go near them. Once when I was about 12 I found a pistol in my parents room. I didn't touch it and realized then that I should learn how to handle it safely. My dad always promised to "upgrade" me from the BB gun to a .22 when I turned 18, but my mother promptly nipped that one in the bud.

My dad is SO excited about this. I never knew until today that he did competition shooting in high school (his school had a shooting range in the basement!) He recommended that I take the NRA course and has offered to help me pay for it if I choose to go that route, because these are skills that he really wants me to have.

In any case, many, many thanks to everyone here for the kind words and sage advice. It is much appreciated!
It is nice to read this experience may open up a new avenue of communication/bonding between you and your dad. Many of us can tell of similar stories of bonding with parents over shared hobbies.

Naphtali

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I know there are a lot of gun enthusiasts here, so here I am asking you all for a little advice.

A friend of mine has convinced me to join her Second Amendment Sisters club and learn how to shoot. . . . Club members will provide guns and ammo for the beginners, as well as a safety class, but I'm sure I won't regret any additional information or prep I can get beforehand. . . .

1. Join the National Rifle Association.

2. Buy solid ear [canal] plugs, plus fluid-filled shooting muffs.

3. While you can use your existing spectacles as "shooting glasses," you may wish to acquire polycarbonate shooting spectacles that fit over your prescription spectacles.
4. If the gun club you mentioned is not NRA affiliated, through the NRA (See #1) identify a local NRA-affiliated gun club. Ask them to arrange for firearms training. There is no substitute for initial training -- with an interested and qualified human being -- to assure you acquire desirable, safe shooting habits and avoid unsafe ones.

I have no confidence nowadays in training acquired from dilettantes versus people trained as NRA firearms instructors. This is very important for you -- receiving useful initial instruction.
5. If you find you enjoy shooting, now is the time to begin thinking about purchasing a firearm of your preference.

Just some thoughts.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Hi Kitty,

It was sort of said here before, and goes along the lines of Following the range rules; Listen carefully to the range officer. Be aware of what's happening and why, like a couple of taps on a microphone for the PA indicating two minutes to a cease fire, what to do during a cease fire, etc. There are even rules about entering and exiting the range. Sounds like you'll be with someone but if ever alone and unsure, find the range officer and ask him what's expected of you.
Have fun, I'm going shooting sporting clays this weekend. I'll be too ashamed to say how I did, but I think we'd all like to know how you did.:)

I teach kids the basics of shooting in my backyard with a pellet gun. (I like to treat it as if we were at a range when they're shooting.) The last thing we do is shoot a soda can so they have that and the best paper target they shot to take home and show off. Maybe take your best target home, scan, and post it.:eusa_clap

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Naphtali said:
1. Join the National Rifle Association.

I was hoping to avoid this topic, but here it is - I would consider taking their safety course but I will never become a paying NRA member because I just flat out don't agree with their legislative agenda and do not want my dollars supporting it. This is not a judgment I've made, it's merely a personal preference. SAS seems a bit less of an issue for me, since the cost is $25 and that won't go far supporting anything.

4. If the gun club you mentioned is not NRA affiliated, through the NRA (See #1) identify a local NRA-affiliated gun club. Ask them to arrange for firearms training. There is no substitute for initial training -- with an interested and qualified human being -- to assure you acquire desirable, safe shooting habits and avoid unsafe ones.

I'm pretty sure SAS is NRA affiliated. Their state director (who is affiliated with this particular club) is a certified NRA instructor. Also, in MA, in order to purchase, own or carry a firearm, you must have a license from the state, and one of the requirements for said license is completion of a certified training course. I know SAS pushes heavily for NRA training.

EDIT: my mom read my dad's email yesterday, saw my emails to him about this and sent me a pretty nasty one. This is what I have to deal with :-(

RIOT

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I was hoping to avoid this topic, but here it is - I would consider taking their safety course but I will never become a paying NRA member because I just flat out don't agree with their legislative agenda and do not want my dollars supporting it. This is not a judgment I've made, it's merely a personal preference. SAS seems a bit less of an issue for me, since the cost is $25 and that won't go far supporting anything.

You don't have to be a member of the NRA. But if you frequent the range enough you will find that the discounts alone are worth joining. ;)

Safety On! Mag Out!

der schneider

One of the Regulars
My mother and step dad have been against firearms since I was a kid.

I have been a avid shooter since age 14 I shoot competively and I have also been a firearms instructor and range officer. It is too bad about your mother have fun and be safe.

I started doing SAS stuff a while back it is a fun crowd it is very family friendly

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know everyone agrees on, and comends you for, your intiative to learn gun safety. :eusa_clap

Guns, although simple tools, are still a personal issue. Your mother may not agree with your choice to use and, perhaps one day, own firearms, while your dad promotes it. Like so many things, don't forget that this is your choice, and currently your right, as a US citizen.

If your only motive for shooting is fun, starting with a .22LR is fine. However, if you intended to learn for self-defense, a .38 would be the most appropriate to start.

1. Eye and ear protection is required.
2. No alcohol or drugs (only prescriptions that do not impair you in any way) prior to handling weapons.
3. Do not accept or offer a loaded weapon - always check the chamber, or just leave the chamber/cylindar/breach/etc. open with no magazine loaded.
4. When accepting a gun, treat it as if it were loaded and check the chamber to verify status.
5. If offering a gun, point the gun in a safe direction (usually down), verify it's unloaded and advise the person the gun is empty.
6. If at any time you are trying to offer someone a loaded weapon, make sure to point it in a safe direction, advise the person the gun is loaded and make sure not to hold the gun by the trigger (this should really only be done at a shooting range with an instructor when you have a jammed slide - which won't happen with a revolver anyway).
7. Look, Listen, Learn. Look at what you're shooting and make sure you're backstop is safe. Listen for any instructions or warnings. Learn how to handle the weapon safely; learn how to shoot accurately; learn about the gun.
8. Don't load the gun unless you plan to pull the trigger.
9. Don't touch the trigger unless you plan to shoot the gun.
10. Don't point a gun, loaded or otherwise, at anything you don't want killed.

Yeah, I know, that seems like a ton of tedious rules but it only takes one accident to end a life.

And by the way, those rules have been burned in my mind by deputies, instructors, gun enthusiasts and former military folks; all in good faith. You should definitely have fun shooting and those rules will allow you to come home in one piece afterwards.

And in case you're interested, here are some guns owned by fellow board members: Show us your Guns!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Kitty, sorry to hear about your mom, but I can tell you and your dad are having fun with this already. Don't let it spoil your fun! When you get to the range, I will bet a lot of folks there will be happy to let you try many different types of guns. Enjoy and be safe. If you enjoy it, check these out, they are inexpensive electronic shooting muffs, and are NOWHERE near as good as the best electronics, but I bought 2 pairs for my range back and they work pretty well. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=142725

Foofoogal

Banned
Just want to add to be a responsible gun owner and lock up the guns even if you do not have children in the home. When I was about 14 I was babysitting at a ladies house. She had a gun sitting on the night stand. I picked it up to put it away as I was trying to be responsible. Somehow it went off and shot in the mattress of the bed about 2 inches away from a kid sitting on the bed. Still gives me shudders to this day that nothing bad came from it. I do believe in right to bear arms though and will defend it. Just be smart.

Now sitting in Arkansas without my business yet till I figure it all out. Moving out of a home of 15 years is quite a daunting task to say the least. Found stuff I had never seen before. (like a free shopping spree lol )

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Does anyone have any safety tips and advice for rifles, specifically flintlocks? After a lifetime of not owning a gun, my husband will be buying a Brown Bess for living history demonstrations. I imagine there are different safety considerations to consider when you are dealing with powder cartridges and the like. I'm especially concerned with proper storage and operating safety. You can't exactly sign up for a musket safety class now a days, so any advice would be appreciated.

Feraud

Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
Does anyone have any safety tips and advice for rifles, specifically flintlocks? After a lifetime of not owning a gun, my husband will be buying a Brown Bess for living history demonstrations. I imagine there are different safety considerations to consider when you are dealing with powder cartridges and the like. I'm especially concerned with proper storage and operating safety. You can't exactly sign up for a musket safety class now a days, so any advice would be appreciated.

All of the safety issues for firearms should apply to handguns and longarms of various actions.
Does your husband need to fire the Brown Bess for the living history demo? It would be safe enough to keep the flintlock without any powder and ball at your home. I've found my flintlock to be a finicky gadget and tend to go for the cap and ball revolvers or a milsurp rifle for shooting.

warbird

One Too Many
You should talk to some other re-enactors or mountain men era and some of the old west shooting competitors. They can really help you. Flintlocks, and anything with external flashes are more dangerous to the eyes and learning all of the particulars first are important.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Had loads of fun today! Shot a S&W .22 revolver, a S&W .357 revolver and a S&W .22 semi-auto. Preferred the semi-auto by far.

The main problem that I had was that my hands are very small and my fingers are short, so it was hard to find anything comfortable. I had a fair amount of trouble getting a smooth trigger pull (except on the semi-auto) so for the revolvers, I got a much better shot shooting single-action. The other big problem that I had was that I kept breaking at the wrist and slightly dropping the muzzle after pulling the trigger, so I was always hitting low. I was able to compensate for that in my aim, but I know it's something to work on.

Maybe I'll scan and post my targets when I get a chance, but it probably won't be til after the holidays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn