Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guns and shooting advice?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Shot about 250-300 rounds this weekend and had a fantastic time. Just wanted to share this one with you! S&W .357 Magnum 6 shot (.38 rounds)

1_20_357.jpg

green papaya

One Too Many
I started with a bb gun / pellet gun

pellet guns make good trainers for beginner shooters so you learn the fundamental before moving up to firearms

pellet pistols / rifles are good for practising proper safe handling, sight alignment, shooting positions, trigger pull, etc

lots of foreign military train on pellet rifles before they use real firearms

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I also started with a BB gun. I got it on Christmas morning and got it taken away Christmas morning when I was a kid. I immediately turned on a cowboys and indians movie on TV and shot the screen.

Kitty, looks like you're a better shot than I am! (Then again, we're probably "playing" two different "games", too...) Geez, if we're ever on the same range I may have to ask you for a "handicap"...:eek:

Forget some skinny little bleached airhead, that is "hot". You know what they say...
"You can't beat a girl who shoots.":D

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Shot about 250-300 rounds this weekend and had a fantastic time.

Great job, congratulations.

As you've had a brief introduction to Smiths, one aspect you don't often get to see is all 4 basic sizes of classic Smith for comparison. You may be more comfortable with a smaller revolver.

352079558.jpg

From the top:

An N-Frame .45 Triple Lock with 7 1/2" barrel.

An I-Frame .32 Safety Hammerless with 3 1/2" barrel. No longer made.

A K-Frame .22 K-22, the .38-sized frame that's most common.

A J-Frame .38 Chief's Special with 3" barrel. Probably the best choice for small hands and one of the easiest to handle and shoot. Barrels shorter than 3" are difficult to master and the larger K-Frames like your .357 are heavy in comparison.

I heartily recommend the revolver because any novice or child can tell it's loaded just by looking at it....and can usually unload it safely without tutoring, too. And although they aren't made any more many ladies preferred the Colt to the Smith product. Colt's were generally a bit lighter than their Smith counterparts with slightly lighter trigger pulls.

Good shooting.

Kermez

A-List Customer
indycop said:
I also started with a BB gun. I got it on Christmas morning and got it taken away Christmas morning when I was a kid. I immediately turned on a cowboys and indians movie on TV and shot the screen.

Well, for goodness sake at least you didn't shoot your eye out! :p

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Just piling on...

Kitty, your experience--while, sadly, not surprising--is still very saddening and, in this day and age, a bit shocking. Please accept my apologies as another shooter, and a male at that. :eek:

I'm in MA as well, just on the NH border (near Haverhill). Before we moved from Saugus, my wife and I shot at Danvers Fish & Game in...wait for it....not Danvers, but Middleton. It's off 114. We mostly shot trap and skeet, and I can speak with confidence about the shotgun element: you will be welcomed. Women are a small percentage compared to men, but not rare. How things are in handgun land...can't say. But it's a large and good club.

I'm not a very avid handgunner myself...my wife is much more so. If heading this far north is not an issue, there may be a few other possibilities. Drop a PM if you'd like.

Sincerely,
"Skeet"

irb

Familiar Face
carebear said:
You left out the "L" and "X" frames Bob. :)

I do quite enjoy S&W L-frame revolvers. Maybe I'll put up a couple pictures to flush out the images a bit. About the only thing worse than a wheelgun obsession is when you get your first 1911....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn