Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, don't forget to size three sizes up!
I have to hand it to them: the Heavy Americans are my "go-to" jeans, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Zimbabwes this week. They've done a good job establishing their business. I wonder how much the closing of Cone Mills will affect them (and the prices for the rest of us).

I have to hand it to them: the Heavy Americans are my "go-to" jeans, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Zimbabwes this week. They've done a good job establishing their business. I wonder how much the closing of Cone Mills will affect them (and the prices for the rest of us).
Still my goto jeans as well. Can't try the Zim's as they don't make them big enough to accommodate the shrinkage for me, but I guess I could get a pair and never wash them like the real denim heads do :)

El Marro

That's the only thing that keeps me from ordering these jeans. I wear a size 38 in Gustin so I would not be able to go up three sizes since they top out at 40. I thought about taking a chance on it but I am not going for the painted on jeans look or anything close to it.
Too bad because I would love to try some of the more esoteric styles such as the loomstate.

tropicalbob

Still my goto jeans as well. Can't try the Zim's as they don't make them big enough to accommodate the shrinkage for me, but I guess I could get a pair and never wash them like the real denim heads do :)
What I'm looking forward to with the Zims is actually trying to see how long I can go without washing them. The website description says they're very soft and comfortable right out of the box, so I'm going to give it a shot. I've tried doing this with several other pairs but never made it past about a month. When my cat starts avoiding me I'll know it's time.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many

I have a pair of Zimbabwe and they never shrank, they’re sanforized denim.

I was quite happy with these jeans but since I lost weight they have been sitting at the bottom of my closet, just like a pair of Momotaro jeans.

El Marro

Ton, I I think you will be happy with your purchase. Best thing you can do now is to forget about it again until you get the notice it has shipped and is on its way to you. With my first Gustin purchase I was checking the order status every other day and working myself into a tizzy when they went past there projected shipping deadline. Now, I often forget that I have bought something from them until I see it on my front doorstep.

Ton, I I think you will be happy with your purchase. Best thing you can do now is to forget about it again until you get the notice it has shipped and is on its way to you. With my first Gustin purchase I was checking the order status every other day and working myself into a tizzy when they went past there projected shipping deadline. Now, I often forget that I have bought something from them until I see it on my front doorstep.
It's the epitome of the opposite of my tendency while waiting for a new jacket. Refreshing!

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't familiar with Gustins before looking at this thread. Do i understand correctly, if you like something you put up the $. If it gets funded you get the product, if it doesn't you get refunded? Price points look nice. Disappointed to not see any Raw denim. At that price point two other brands I like to support are Tellason's "stock" line and Dearborn denim.

ProteinNerd

Yes, that’s how it works. If it doesn’t fund, they don’t charge you. It’s a great model if you have the patience to wait....I think my shoes took 7 or 8 months from funding to delivery....

El Marro

Bfd70,
Depending on your definition of raw denim, that is precisely what Gustin sells. True, most of it is Sanforized, but not all of it. The loomstate which is up for sale right now is unwashed and unsanforized.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Bought a lot of their stuff a few years ago, I still wear the Okayama and Zimbabwean denim ones, but I felt their quality control was slipping a little - a couple of pairs came up very slim-fitting compared to others of the same size - and the buzz had gone out of their stuff. I still think they're a good place to start with selvage denim and part of me is tempted by the loom states, but I've got plenty of jeans for the time being.

I think a lot of us were early buyers, and now suffer from Gustin burnout. Id go to ebay for your first pair. You can find them for $25-35. They don't number the size like most brands, so you need to measure yourself carefully and not assume you "regular" size will fit.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Bfd70,
Depending on your definition of raw denim, that is precisely what Gustin sells. True, most of it is Sanforized, but not all of it. The loomstate which is up for sale right now is unwashed and unsanforized.
Yep, I needed to look further. They post worn and washed pictures and at first glance I assumed they were selling predistressed jeans.

I don't understand this statement. I wear a 36 in Eddie Bauers and I ordered the same in Gustin. Washed them once so far, they fit me fine. A little lower rise than my Bauers but the rest is about the same. If I went up three sizes I could probably get both legs in to one.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I don't understand this statement. I wear a 36 in Eddie Bauers and I ordered the same in Gustin. Washed them once so far, they fit me fine. A little lower rise than my Bauers but the rest is about the same. If I went up three sizes I could probably get both legs in to one.

This comment was offered with regards to the Loomstates which are funding right now. From Gustin's own description, "Note: We recommend going up 3 sizes compared to your standard Gustin size owing to the denseness of the weave and the shrink-to-fit nature of this fabric."

I quit buying Gustin because I bought a couple pair that fit great and then the next three I ordered were all slimmer than my first in the same size. Sloane mentioned the same experience.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
i have one pair of tan that I wore a few times before abandoning them - they were 29”, so I wasn’t up for attempting any weight loss plan to slip into them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21