Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is all starting to sound like all of the reasons for not buying stuff sight unseen. If and when I get the indigo/indigos they are not as described on their website, I'm going to want replacements. I thought I was ordering a pair of dark blue jeans, not black pants of some mystery material with "tonal" stitching and a "weird, waxy-like substance". Now would be a good time for them to do some explaining.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I still like the idea and cant wait for new and exotic flavours. You just have to understand that not all products will be exactly as you thought (color/feel). It would be great if one could swap bad sizing tho and that is all I ask for now.

Will015

Familiar Face
Agreed. I have both the light Italians and the sixteeners, neither of which seemed anything like the pictures of the samples on the website. But, if you're flexible about what the denim looks like, they are very well made and good fitting jeans.

But seriously, sweatshirts? Is that really supposed to be happening?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have been wanting a sweatshirt and have been looking at Aeros but its not exactly what I want, and the Nudie ones are great but too pricey.

This came in a mail from Gustin in the beginning of August:

teaser_1_zps78b618dc.jpg

tropicalbob

I still like the idea and cant wait for new and exotic flavours. You just have to understand that not all products will be exactly as you thought (color/feel). It would be great if one could swap bad sizing tho and that is all I ask for now.
Yes, but if the product isn't remotely like what I was expecting from their description, I've every right to ask for a substitution. From what I understand from reading the blogs of those who have received this fabric, it doesn't feel like denim, has some sort of coating, and doesn't bleed at all --even after a soaking. This doesn't sound like indigo. I just read, too, that unlike the other jeans this one doesn't come with a denim description on the label. If I start to put all of this together, espeicially the delay in shipping and absolute refusal to answer emails or even post an explanation to customers on their website, it seems to me like they've run into some real production problems. It would make very good business sense on their part to come forth with some with some news at this time.

tropicalbob

I think it's best to wait. They've got some growing pains for sure. But there is always risk in this sort of model.
You're right, and I'm probably just being a pain the the ass. Still, I was involved in the Mark Moye debacle at Aero, and when, after six months of waiting, he wasn't answering my calls or emails, I emailed Aero directly. The next day I got a very pissy email from Mark, which I answered in kind, but I received a notice a few days later that my jacket was going into production. I got it about two weeks later.
Sure, they're going to have problems, but there's no excuse for the lack of communications. Why would it be a problem for them to send a message to the customers who are waiting?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I agree, some notification is the right thing to do.

I just dont trust some random dude that its not denim.....if they are coated then this will feel different and its a normal procedure on some expensive dark denim. It goes away with some washes so its not permanent. But yeah, it should have said so in the description.

If my initial orders don't meet my expectations, I'll be done with them. I'm willing to experiment with a small amount of money, but not much more.

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
I'm waiting for a pair of "fifteeners" that were funded on July 2. Was told a couple weeks ago that they were finishing up Aug shipments, then was told they would be sent out by last week, then was told that they were behind and were inspecting and folding and general quality control. Still waiting. They sent out an e-mail last week stating how they were starting on stuff due for Oct. deliveries. I would think they would have all hands on deck working on stuff that was past due before starting on future deliveries.

tropicalbob

I asked them on their website to kindly respond to another blogger's comments re the indigos, and someone from the company (I think) said that the proper place for such discussions was via email. I wondered why that would be true. I then sent another comment saying that I had already emailed them a number of times and gotten no response. Guess what, no response.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
After exchanging mail with Gustin it turns out my shirt is the size they advertised. I just hadnt stretched it enough since there is a pleat on the backside.

They will give me storecredit so I can back a Large.

Its wierd, i measured my usual shirts and this one was supposed to be bigger so it should have fittet....oh well, it isnt easy to get it right.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I received my shipping message this morning, so hopefully the jeans will be with me in a few days - 10 days over their despatch date, but not enough to scare the horses, I suppose.

Dav

One Too Many
Received an email this morning regarding shipping, so hopefully soon I should find out if their jeans are any good or not.
Quite looking forward to them actually!

winterland1

Practically Family
Thanks for showing yoru belts.
I haven't decided if I like the natural color belt with darker jeans or not. I have a natural belt coming so I hope I do. I have been used to black belts. I do see Gustin have had black belts for sale in the past.

mattface

Practically Family
Thanks for showing yoru belts.
I haven't decided if I like the natural color belt with darker jeans or not. I have a natural belt coming so I hope I do. I have been used to black belts. I do see Gustin have had black belts for sale in the past.

The belt should develop a nice honey patina with age and wear.

frussell

One Too Many
What was the cost on the belt? Looks like good leather, but if they are getting their blanks in bulk, even with the hardware, they should be pretty cheap to make. Once you have all the equipment, you can turn out lots of belts for very little investment, especially if people are buying the "natural color." I'd like to see a more glossy, burnished edge on these, but some of that will occur naturally, sliding in and out of belt loops. Can you guys tell if these have any treatment or shellac-type coating on the outer surface, because if they don't they will stain quite easily. Just curious, like the width as well. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner