Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice colour! Mind you, I have the feeling I'm going to be using a shoe horn to get into them on the first couple of wears... :eeek: :D

Mlech415

New in Town
More pictures of the indigo/indigo if you like. Yea it looks pretty jet black to me. I am really happy Gustin opted for the tonal stitching instead of contrast.
bGuw43Ul.jpg
NKK5h2nl.jpg
YUnxEkIl.jpg
tDGCGYal.jpg
g7UzPeQl.jpg

I'll have more pictures for you as my Greyxgrey, super heavy, and blue OCBD come in

winterland1

Practically Family
More pictures of the indigo/indigo if you like. Yea it looks pretty jet black to me. I am really happy Gustin opted for the tonal stitching instead of contrast.
bGuw43Ul.jpg
NKK5h2nl.jpg
YUnxEkIl.jpg
tDGCGYal.jpg
g7UzPeQl.jpg

I'll have more pictures for you as my Greyxgrey, super heavy, and blue OCBD come in
Thanks for the pics.
Looks nice but I could go for white contrast stitching myself.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Gustin need to stop being so 'free and funky' with how they present their stock and start doing decent pics of their denims done up as jeans. Having now seen these, I would happily buy a pair the next time they come up - the toning stitching is a brilliant touch - but they guys behind the company keep giving us just 4" x 4" squares of the stuff. All it needs is a snap of a complete pair of jeans made from each denim as a record for when the cloth comes back in. It'd take the guessing out of ordering. [huh]

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Or if its hard to do since they make the jeans afterwards I think they could name one of their fabrics "standard jeans color" and then use this against every fabric they sell as a comparison.

I got the indigo/indigo and Im not as thrilled as the rest of you since I really wanted indigo and not black. But I need a dark pair anyways so its ok. They havent shipped yet tho ...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If one looks at the color spectrum, ROYGBIV, indigo fits in between blue and violet. Knowing next to nothing about selvedge (I probably can't even spell it correctly:eeek:), I am unable to decide even what size to order. [huh] I generally wear a size 36 Bill's khakis jean but noted the measurement to be 39" after washing and wearing. The fit is not tight and HATE a tight fit in the waist. So, should I order a size 36 or a size 38 to be on the safe side? Any input from my peers on this forum would be appreciated.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I am in a similar quandry to Fanch .... a pair of modern levis 501's (34 x 30) which actually measure 36 x 30 fit quite trim in the leg and a little loose in the waist ( just like I like them ) .... 1954 501XX shrink to fit 36 X 34are almost perfect after a wash or two. Real waist at belly button is 36" and inside leg 29 1/2".

So what size Gustins ???? My issue really is the leg which at 36" needs considerable shortening but would you guys get a 35" or a 36" waist ????

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am in a similar quandry to Fanch .... So what size Gustins ???? My issue really is the leg which at 36" needs considerable shortening but would you guys get a 35" or a 36" waist ????

Since Gustins are in 1" increments through size 36 but next size is 38, your choice is easier than mine. I imagine you would go with a size 35 (actual waist of measurement 35.75"), whereas, I would go with a size 37, not available. Since size 36 (actual waist of measurement 36.5") might be too tight for me, I will likely need to order a size 38 (actual waist of measurement 38.5") to be on the safe side. For me, a bit too loose would be much better than a bit too tight. I dunno? [huh] Inseam is a much easier thing. I would need no shortening at all since I am 6'2" whereas you can have a tailor adjust the inseam for you, or simply roll up at the bottom as everyone did many decades ago.

mattface

Practically Family
So what size Gustins ???? My issue really is the leg which at 36" needs considerable shortening but would you guys get a 35" or a 36" waist ????

A size 34 straight fit is actually 35" at the waist, 24.5" at the thigh, 18" at both knee and cuff as per Gustin's fit guide. https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide Slightly trimmer in the leg than modern Levis 501 in my experience, but not hugely so. Some say their straight cut is very close to 514. I would not know, since I've never tried 514s.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If one looks at the color spectrum, ROYGBIV, indigo fits in between blue and violet. Knowing next to nothing about selvedge (I probably can't even spell it correctly:eeek:), I am unable to decide even what size to order. [huh] I generally wear a size 36 Bill's khakis jean but noted the measurement to be 39" after washing and wearing. The fit is not tight and HATE a tight fit in the waist. So, should I order a size 36 or a size 38 to be on the safe side? Any input from my peers on this forum would be appreciated.

I measured my Nudie jeans, emailed Gustin about what I should do with this figure and they recommended a slice an inch off them to allow for stretch. I'm slightly apprehensive about it - currently starving myself in advance of their arrival soon (possibly this week) - and this does feel a bit of an experiment, but I'll be able to give you an 'as it happens' report when they wash up on my doorstep.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It also matters if you like the jeans to fit comfortably straight after a wash, or if you want them to be tight after a wash and be comfortable after some wear.

I rather have them comfortable after wash and then slightly looser after wear so I did not slice anything off.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It also matters if you like the jeans to fit comfortably straight after a wash, or if you want them to be tight after a wash and be comfortable after some wear.

I rather have them comfortable after wash and then slightly looser after wear so I did not slice anything off.

Josh Gustin recommended that I order my usual size 38 as size 36 would likely be too tight, and that is what I did. Last night I ordered The Heavy and this morning ordered one of the last of The American.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
What I mean is that people will recommend different things based on how they feel. There is no right or wrong here. So as a start I suggest looking at oneself and finding out how *you* like a pair of jeans to fit.

Nowdays it is more normal to wear jeans for a longer period between washes, not only before first wash, but also for the rest of the jeans-lifetime. This is both to spare the threads and fabric (since washing will "eat" some on the jeans) and also to enhance fading. If this fits your wear-pattern then the first 2 days of uncomfortableness wont matter if you go for lets say 3 montsh until next wash.

If you however, wash the jeans after 3-days then most of your experience will be uncomfortable.

Based on this, you can now measure what you have at home and how it behaves and feel, and then get the near-same experience with the new pair.

winterland1

Practically Family
Gustin need to stop being so 'free and funky' with how they present their stock and start doing decent pics of their denims done up as jeans. Having now seen these, I would happily buy a pair the next time they come up - the toning stitching is a brilliant touch - but they guys behind the company keep giving us just 4" x 4" squares of the stuff. All it needs is a snap of a complete pair of jeans made from each denim as a record for when the cloth comes back in. It'd take the guessing out of ordering. [huh]

I see some styles they have posted pics of the actual jeans and even ones that are broken in. https://weargustin.com/store/175
I just saw an email announcing GreyXBlack and they are already sold out. Wow must be popular. https://weargustin.com/store/178
Here is the customary $20 off coupon for those who haven't signed up. https://weargustin.com/invite_from/6029

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn