Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GW Bronco Pocket Snap Fastener Repair Advice

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The pocket flap snap fastener on my A-2 came with United-Carr snaps one of which broke recently. Any suggestions on sourcing another United-Carr snap, and/or any suggestion on who could do the repair. I am pretty sure that the pocket flap needs to be opened at the seem, and would like to keep true to the design of the original jacket, with stitching and hardware.
Peace,

Bronco Snap Fastener.jpg

Dang man! Shame about having to open the flap! Otherwise setting those snaps is a breeze. Joann fabrics sells a $9 kit you can do it with. Is the cap just floating in the pocket flap then?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Dang man! Shame about having to open the flap! Otherwise setting those snaps is a breeze. Joann fabrics sells a $9 kit you can do it with. Is the cap just floating in the pocket flap then?
Yeah, I can feel the cap floating around inside the pocket flap, and it doesn't seem to have a post attached (not too sure about the terminology).

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Jonesy, that's too nice of a jacket for a DIY project. Sorry to read the mishap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No way I'm going to try to fix this myself. I have contacted Johnson Leather (JL) and they say that they can put a new lign 24 snap in once they open up the pocket flap. Since it is a hidden snap it doesn't make much difference to me personally if it is not a vintage snap since I have decided to keep the jacket. I had JL replace the main zippers on 2 of my other jackets, an Aero and a Simmons Belt, and they pretty much hit the same stitch holes spot on. However, these jackets did not have as high a stitch count as this GW, but I suppose it is only a different setting on the machine over a pretty small area. Although it is in a pretty visible location.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Setting a snap is easy but you will want to use a heavy-duty snap so there is less likely to fail again. The hole in the leather will be weakened. I would guess a maker like Johnson Leathers uses a press rather than a mold to hold the snap cover and a hammer and punch to set the snap. My experience tells me, Johnson Leathers "women" as Alan calls them will use the existing holes to restitch the pocket flap.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Considering you are one of JC's chosen ones, i would just send him an email and ask him if he can fix it...

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
@jonesy86 .. Good Wear have always recommended Great leathers for jacket repairs:

https://www.greatleather.com/

I had them re-stich the buttons on my LVC Einstein jacket.. Deena is a nice person to work with

Thanks for the tip @Boyo. I contacted Dena at Great Leather and am trying to track down a replacement snap and matching thread in order to stay in keeping with the original design. I am going to send it to her for a quick repair.

Peace!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo