Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

h-e-l-p. Palm beach linen suit..

1on1

One of the Regulars
wow- the one that got away..dunno how it slipped past me. I've even set up alerts too.
I thought the patch pockets were strictly 30's..havent seen a patch pocketed 40's PB before (especially not a patched chest pocket).

So, the hunt resumes in earnest.

1on1

One of the Regulars
funny to get your alert..i had just finisheddruelled over that blazer when i got your email..it's a tad too long (i'm 5-6") but afraid to contemplate how high it would eventually go (there is no question it will get a hit, thats a given). All things being equal i would have preferred a suit, that way i dont need to run amuck trying to find/match with a pair of pants. Did you ever buy PBL suit you had posted to inquire about authenticity ? My ideal PBL is a 3-POCKET PATCH configuration as opposed to 2 patchs and a slit chest pocket, but at this point in the game, one has to revise one's fantasies.
Thanks for the heads up tho!

MondoFW

Practically Family
funny to get your alert..i had just finisheddruelled over that blazer when i got your email..it's a tad too long (i'm 5-6") but afraid to contemplate how high it would eventually go (there is no question it will get a hit, thats a given). All things being equal i would have preferred a suit, that way i dont need to run amuck trying to find/match with a pair of pants. Did you ever buy PBL suit you had posted to inquire about authenticity ? My ideal PBL is a 3-POCKET PATCH configuration as opposed to 2 patchs and a slit chest pocket, but at this point in the game, one has to revise one's fantasies.
Thanks for the heads up tho!
I never got that PB suit I was skeptical about--got snapped up soon after I sent that message. i'm still kicking myself about it to this day. As for this auction, I would honestly not mind bidding if it were a full suit, but the thing is, so would many other bidders. This auction will still see some traction eventually (there are already 6 watchers!). Investigator1947, in general, is a very popular seller, and auctions off some pretty desirable items. It's no use trying to buy anything from him :D

about the height thing--I'm about your height, maybe a little shorter, and I'm fine with a 28'' back length. A longer jacket was very popular back then, anyway.

1on1

One of the Regulars
how does your 30's wardrobe look..do you own any beltbacks ? Another seller that is a "suits guy" is Reeses Vintage Pieces, he does the vintage fairs, and he's another likely dude to come across a linen suit...or other beltback suits. Are you looking elsewhere besides ebay/etsy ?

MondoFW

Practically Family
how does your 30's wardrobe look..do you own any beltbacks ? Another seller that is a "suits guy" is Reeses Vintage Pieces, he does the vintage fairs, and he's another likely dude to come across a linen suit...or other beltback suits. Are you looking elsewhere besides ebay/etsy ?
I will be flying to NY in a week and will remain there for a majority of summer vacation. Initially, I thought I could strike gold at local shops, but knowing how some of the best vintage shops price their stuff, I might as well just use Etsy, which I absolutely abhor. They, more often than not, have a wider variety of vintage than the 'Bay, but the prices are ridiculous! Doubt I'll be able to AFFORD anything too fascinating during pilgrimage in NY. I live near Portland, OR, so in theory there would be a lot of gems coming into local shops, as it is a very exclusive and fashion-forward city. I have yet to explore local shops, because I cannot legally drive and no one likes shopping with me. For now, it's eBay or the highway. What sources do you approach for goods?

The only belt back I have is my dad's 1970's Brooks Brothers overcoat. I haven't even been into vintage for a full year, so my collection is rather sparse.

1on1

One of the Regulars
just came back from NY..where in ny are you going ? The vintage scene is almost non-existant in NY..for newyorkers, 90's gear is vintage..nyc -a city of 13 million and you'll be hard pressed to find a handful of guys in proper vintage gear. Most Newyorkers are fad driven..it gets really retarded after a while, I felt like I was in another country, they simply don't relate to older vintage..but when you see it dangling on a hanger somewhere, it'll cost a fortune. Try "stock" vintage in manhattan..she got the best gear I think, tiny store but she got a wharehouse in Brooklyn so she can find what you're looking for. There are others that do the "by appointment only" thing..part time vendors.

1on1

One of the Regulars
re: pickin..forget about it, you wont find shiyyt in NYC..maybe out in the sticks but I've hit flea markets out there and there is mostly rif-raf low end stuff.

1on1

One of the Regulars
you should make it to Brimfields tho if you still out there when it commences.

MondoFW

Practically Family
just came back from NY..where in ny are you going ? The vintage scene is almost non-existant in NY..for newyorkers, 90's gear is vintage..nyc -a city of 13 million and you'll be hard pressed to find a handful of guys in proper vintage gear. Most Newyorkers are fad driven..it gets really retarded after a while, I felt like I was in another country, they simply don't relate to older vintage..but when you see it dangling on a hanger somewhere, it'll cost a fortune. Try "stock" vintage in manhattan..she got the best gear I think, tiny store but she got a wharehouse in Brooklyn so she can find what you're looking for. There are others that do the "by appointment only" thing..part time vendors.
Well, that's disheartening. It does seem like the bar has been lowered for what's ACTUALLY considered vintage. I have noticed "vintage" is very much coming back, especially for women, but most of the chit they wear doesn't even predate the Reagan era, so I hardly call it so. During my time researching shops in the area, I noticed a lot of them were revered among locals, but then I would find out they only carry 90's "grunge" and "trendy" stuff. It's really a sad sight. I will be in Manhattan while I'm there, and I have seen many blogs comment on Stock Vintage--the Golden Era military stuff, right? I thought about hitting that place up, but now you say I will not find anything good! Should I really just give up the search?

I can't wait for some huge Netflix period drama that's set in the Golden Era to come out, when everybody will suddenly be obsessed with pre-1960's goods instead of mom jeans that Karen or Barbara wore when waiting for their hubby to come back from the Gulf War.

We have no plans to reach Massachusetts, so I won't be at that Brimfields event. It does seem more promising than the environment I'll be patrolling for vintage. Do you know of any domestic locations that would be good for a good ol' searching?

1on1

One of the Regulars
Here's what few people will tell you (assuming they even know it in the first place) about vintage in NY.
The people (pickers/dealers/rag mill operators) are very well informed, in other words, almost nothing slips through their nets, plus the fact that BECAUSE New York is the "contemporary fashion capital of the States" there are plenty of designers that will pay you for good vintage pieces...either for shop display or for modern inspirations..RRL is a good example, go to their store in manhattan or Brooklyn and you will see there made-in-china repro pieces next to the real Americana miltaria, hawaiiana, western etc. and they will pay big bucks for 30's gear.

The Sunday Flea market at Dumbo is nice, hit or miss but the vibe is cool, and i did find a 50's two tone western gab shirt actually for $15.00. Its where the hipsters hang out on a nice sunny sunday, plus Its right under the vintage manhattan bridge which is really cool.

There's this chain vintage shop called " L train vintage", they have locations everywhere (manhattan/Brooklyn), I did walk away with some vintge 40's gear on a number of occasions and there prices are actually low... I recommend this for your first plan of action(to avoid sticker shock right off the bat).

Then ofcourse there are some "vintage" shops in Williamsburg..again if not for vintage, a nice walkabout area.
Edit: Stock is not strictly militaria..infact I didn't see any when I was last there..BTW she does strictly mens, which is nice..but she HAS gear for sure..30's/40's workwear, shawl collar lettermans, tour jackets, pleated denim, haven't seen suits tho' but she may have PB in her arsenal..i wouldn't be surprised.
Re: films, funny you should also mention that..last night my girl sent me a youtube clip about "the making of" that 30's CUBA scene on broadwalk empire, i actually thought they shot it at an exoctic location somewhere but infact it was not. They rigged that whole scene, that "beautiful "PBL infested scene" at one of my favorite parks, prospect park in Brooklyn.

Last edited:

MondoFW

Practically Family
Here's what few people will tell you (assuming they even know it in the first place) about vintage in NY.
The people (pickers/dealers/rag mill operators) are very well informed, in other words, almost nothing slips through their nets, plus the fact that BECAUSE New York is the "contemporary fashion capital of the States" there are plenty of designers that will pay you for good vintage pieces...either for shop display or for modern inspirations..RRL is a good example, go to their store in manhattan or Brooklyn and you will see there made-in-china repro pieces next to the real Americana miltaria, hawaiiana, western etc. and they will pay big bucks for 30's gear.

The Sunday Flea market at Dumbo is not too bad, hit or miss but the vibe is cool, its where the hipsters hang out on a nice sunny day, plus Its right under the vintage manhattan bridge which is really cool.

There's this chain vintage shop called " L train vintage", they have locations everywhere (manhattan/Brooklyn), I did walk away with some vintge 40's gear on a number of occasions and there prices are actually low... I recommend this for your first plan of action(to avoid sticker shock right off the bat).

Then ofcourse there are some "vintage" shops in Williamsburg..again if not for vintage, a nice walkabout area.

So, I could bring some of my true vintage stuff and sell it to dealers and get big bucks for it? Sadly, since most are so well-informed they won't buy my 40's ties (which are so ubiquitous you could probably get a few just by surveying your neighborhood) for $30 a pop :D.

L Train is another name I have seen. Would I really find what I want here? Seems like a lot of more recent stuff. A very well known shop in Manhattan is David Owen's Vintage Clothing. They get some damn good stock sometimes, but their prices are outrageous. $175 for a 1920's boater, $125 each for two 1940's sport shirts they had. Have you heard of Star Struck? It definitely seems like a less luxurious place than others in the city, but they frequently carry some old stuff. I just want a selection of stores in mind for the hunt.

1on1

One of the Regulars
you know I heard of David Owens but I don't thing I made it to his shack..Oh another interesting shop is "the general store", run by a Japanese crew in Dumbo..they do have some sweet gear in there, I actually bumped into a PBL suit but it was not a belt back, just plain..so I passed on it. Prices are interesting, some of the gear you would think should be higher is not, then other gear that should be lower, is higher, again a cool spot to hang on the weekends in general.

1on1

One of the Regulars
I'm still on the hunt for a 40's pinup tie..snappygabs had a bunch but they all had pronounced issues.

MondoFW

Practically Family
you know I heard of David Owens but I don't thing I made it to his shack..Oh another interesting shop is "the general store", run by a Japanese crew in Dumbo..they do have some sweet gear in there, I actually bumped into a PBL suit but it was not a belt back, just plain..so I passed on it. Prices are interesting, some of the gear you would think should be higher is not, then other gear that should be lower, is higher, again a cool spot to hang on the weekends in general.
Foolish of you to pass on that PBL suit. I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat. Will be sure to check out this store, though. Thanks for the tip.

1on1

One of the Regulars
One thing about NYC..i did get the odd compliment here and there, but it was in the way of " I like your style" or "that's a cool outfit"..you could tell they had no clue what the look represented..albeit they liked it, but to think these people are living in the biggest most metropolitan most fashion-conscious city in America yet have no clue about vintage AMERICAN looks, is quite sad really..

1on1

One of the Regulars
in retrospect I've been foolish on a number of occasions..always waiting for the perfect "one"..then one is left holding the empty bag, it finally dawns on you that there's just a finite supply out there. To be fair I do, do 40's/50's as well, that's the stuff I'm decently stocked with.. the gear that needs fixin.

MondoFW

Practically Family
One thing about NYC..i did get the odd compliment here and there, but it was in the way of " I like your style" or "that's a cool outfit"..you could tell they had no clue what the look represented..albeit they liked it, but to think these people are living in the biggest most metropolitan most fashion-conscious city in America yet have no clue about vintage AMERICAN looks, is quite sad really..
Would love to see pics of your best outfits. I'm assuming you make your style inherently vintage, so I don't see why NYC pedestrians wouldn't recognize it.
in retrospect I've been foolish on a number of occasions..always waiting for the perfect "one"..then one is left holding the empty bag, it finally dawns on you that there's just a finite supply out there. To be fair I do, do 40's/50's as well, that's the stuff I'm decently stocked with.. the gear that needs fixin.
Yes, it is sad when you think about the fact that this true vintage gold won't last forever. That's why I'm trying to treasure the bits of it I can get. Let's hope NY enhances this process.

1on1

One of the Regulars
There is so much repro/fad driven cheap vintage in NY that I don't think the average (new yorker) Joe knows whats coming or going..ofcourse tthe connoisseur would easily weed out the good from the ugly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo