Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haggis

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Haggis is made from sheep's offal (or pluck). The windpipe, lungs, heart and liver of the sheep are boiled and then minced. This is mixed with beef suet and lightly toasted oatmeal. This mixture is placed inside the sheep's stomach, which is sewn closed. The resulting haggis is traditionally cooked by further boiling (for up to three hours) although the part-cooked haggis can be cooked in the oven which prevents the risk of bursting and spoiling. - too sick making I was thinking of a healthy burger with oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs, a Mc Haggis

Mav

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Anyone got a...recipe?
Steam chopped guts and barley in a sheep's stomach.
That's pretty much it, but it slides down easier if you douse it in Tabasco, or, as I previously mentioned, fry it and make a mayo- smeared burger out of it.
It's pretty good, but in that Whitecastles- if- you're- really- drunk kinda way. The first taste is a choker, but it's not bad after that.
Hey- it's food. Kinda- sorta.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can here it from years ago...

Ayee MacGregor, I bet yee we can get the Damned English to eat our bloody sheep guts if we boil it funny and call it a Royal Delicacy.

Naughhhh MacDonald, it'll never work, bet you a lamb it won't...

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Berlin said:
I'm always willing to try everything. But I have my doubts about haggis. :eek:

Yeahp, I pride myself on trying most foods, but I, too, have my doubts about this stuff. I guess I'd have to see/smell/touch-it-with-a-fork on a plate. Reading about it is too abstract.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Monty Python Poem (edited a bit)

Horace

Much to his Mum and Dad's dismay
Horace ate himself one day.
He didn't stop to say his grace,
He just sat down and ate his face.
"We can't have this his Dad declared,
"If that lad's ate, he should be shared."
But even as he spoke they saw
Horace eating more and more:
First his legs and then his thighs,
His arms, his nose, his hair, his eyes...
"Stop him someone!" Mother cried
"Those eyeballs would be better fried!"
But all too late, for they were gone,
And he had started on his *...
"Oh! foolish child!" the father mourns
"You could have deep-fried that with prawns,
Some parsley and some tartar sauce..."
But H. was on his second course:
His liver and his lights and lung,
His ears, his neck, his chin, his tongue;
"To think I raised him from the cot
And now he's going to scoff the lot!"
His Mother cried: "What shall we do?
What's left won't even make a stew..."
And as she wept, her son was seen
To eat his head, his heart, his spleen.
And there he lay: a boy no more,
Just a stomach, on the floor...
None the less, since it was his
They ate it – that's what haggis is.

Effingham

A-List Customer
God, but I love haggis. When I lived in Tokyo, the local British restaurant, "1066," occasionally made it -- and they made trays full for the annual Japan Highland Games (now there's a case of cognitive dissonance for you!) and the haggis went like hot cakes. The Japanese actually loved the stuff.

Guess they never read the bad press haggis got in the Sassenach press. ;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Haggis is a beautiful, beautiful thing. The pasty shop on campus has a special haggis pasty this month I'm going to try today.

I'm afraid I don't get the bad rap. So it's made in a sheep's stomach. How is this different from a pig's intestine? It's got bits of animals in it. I don't even know what's in a hot dog. Simply not liking it is perfectly fine, I can't stand coconut which is pretty popular.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid I don't get the bad rap. So it's made in a sheep's stomach. How is this different from a pig's intestine? It's got bits of animals in it. I don't even know what's in a hot dog. Simply not liking it is perfectly fine, I can't stand coconut which is pretty popular.

I second that. There are lots of people - Scots included - who'll turn their noses up at haggis without even trying it, yet will happily wolf down a Big Mac or a kebab without a second thought as to what's actually in it. And like anything else, there are good haggises, and bad haggises. MacSween's are very good, and easily obtainable throughout the UK. There are a couple of good little independant butchers in Edinburgh who make there own amazing haggises. I admit, I can't can't comment on the quality of haggis in the rest of the world though!

You can easily overcook them too. They should be moist, yet slightly crumbly. A good haggis is similar to a good black pudding. At my Burns night I had a mix of Scots, English and Spanish friends. Everybody loved the haggis - but it was an especially big hit with the Spanish.

I urge you all to try it at least once! (Preferably in Scotland!) :)

andy richards

Practically Family
A few years ago we visited friends in Scotland and they took us over to a local restaurant. We asked them to order for us so we ate Haggis. I liked it very much!
Cheers,
Andy

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I love the stuff. Mighty tasty.

I've had it a few times but the best was at a club formal dinner where it was piped in and was a very grand affair. Great fun.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I love the stuff. Mighty tasty.

I've had it a few times but the best was at a club formal dinner where it was piped in and was a very grand affair. Great fun.

My department is toasting the haggis tonight. Our piper was away on the 25th so we're having a late Burns Night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo