Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Coloring For Men /Your Advice and Experience

Sonero

Practically Family
I just recently got my hair colored at a salon. At first I wasn't comfortable with it because I thought the color looked too dark for my skin. However after a week I started digging it and I want to continue the ritual. I think it looks really good.

The fact that it took a week to like it makes me wonder if I needed less time with the dye on my hair or a different shade ?

I haven't a clue about hair dye but I am have been researching online. There is lots to research on the subject.

JustForMen product is apparently the bottom of the barrel while a lot of guys rave about Clariol.

The other side of it is men's coloring products add only color to the hair while some women's products offer a two step process which strips the hair before dying it. The downside is the men's products contain some level of lead in them.

By the way many male celebrities like Brad Pitt Robert Downey Jr. and Johnny Depp dye their hair so don't feel uncomfortable.

When I told my friends I dyed my hair nobody could tell.

Share your stories and advice please.

Thanks

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
By the way many male celebrities like Brad Pitt Robert Downey Jr. and Johnny Depp dye their hair so don't feel uncomfortable.

What's your source for that information? I would say that more likely they are in the business of having to look appealing to movie audiences, who are increasingly younger, in order to stay bankable as lead actors. Who knows what they would choose to do with their hair if they weren't in show business? Personally I think older people with dyed hair generally look like they are trying hard to avoid the inevitable. You can do it for a while but eventually your skin doesn't match your follicles. But it is a personal thing and I guess dyeing hair may be better than wearing a hairpiece. I think it's better to embrace who you are.

I love those photos of Fred Astaire and Humphrey Bogart from their private lives without their toupees. They only bothered with hair business for show business reasons.

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
Guess it is about body image and confidence and the cult of youth in the media.

Personally, I am going both grey and thin on top but it is who I am, so I'm happy enough to show that and not hide it.

However, I know some men who do dye their hair and I don't have a problem with that either.

Sonero

Practically Family
What's your source for that information? I would say that more likely they are in the business of having to look appealing to movie audiences, who are increasingly younger, in order to stay bankable as lead actors. Who knows what they would choose to do with their hair if they weren't in show business? Personally I think older people with dyed hair generally look like they are trying hard to avoid the inevitable. You can do it for a while but eventually your skin doesn't match your follicles. But it is a personal thing and I guess dyeing her may be better than wearing a hairpiece. I think it's better to embrace who you are.

I love those photos of Fred Astaire and Humphrey Bogart from their private lives without their toupees. They only bothered with hair business for show business reasons.

Very Thoughtful Post.

Thank You

I tend to think along the same lines as Seb. Dyed hair looks too uniform and almost always unnatural to me. My beard is going quite grey as are the sides of my head but oddly the top is not. TBH I'd be afraid to dye my hair for fear the chemicals would destroy it... if I could dye it I'd probably dye it grey to match the rest!
I have dyed my beard in the past...looks like velcro.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Guess it is about body image and confidence and the cult of youth in the media.

Personally, I am going both grey and thin on top but it is who I am, so I'm happy enough to show that and not hide it.

However, I know some men who do dye their hair and I don't have a problem with that either.
Former Beatle, Ringo, (76,) seen out in London with his son, Zac, (50,) last week. It does tend to underline your point.
ringo & son.jpg

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
I started getting grey hair in my early twenties, and now at 53 it's completely grey and white. That being said, I've colored mine off and on over the years but recently I'm letting the color fade out.

If done correctly, colored hair looks pretty natural. If done incorrectly, it looks like one put shoe polish on his hair. Go to an expert the first time and let her/him match to your natural color. I also was honest with my stylist and told her I would do it myself and she showed me the exact mixture of colors, additives and peroxide %. I wear my hair short-medium and get it cut about every 4-6 weeks. That means once it's cut, the fresh white and grey show under the color. I typically recolor about every 10 days, and once you get the hang of it, it's only about an hour out of your day.

My family thinks I look younger with the color, but I think it does look a bit fake once it fades just a little. That's why I'm letting mine fade out completely. I can always recolor if the mood strikes me.

Last thing about trying to look younger. I don't think it's a matter of being a "timefighter," but really more of trying to look as good as possible. Since my teenage daughter forbids me to shop at any of the surf and skate shops, I guess it's the best I can do. lol

Sonero

Practically Family
Since my teenage daughter forbids me to shop at any of the surf and skate shops, I guess it's the best I can do. lol

LOL

I've got a serious wardrobe decision to make. I am somewhere between Yankees Jerseys and JC Penney dress shirts and sport coats. I always said I was going to age gracefully. I'd like to keep my word.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Hairdresser here. I always tell people to give themselves a week to get used to a change they've made in their hair. Most likely a week didn't make the hair look any different, you just became more comfortable with it. If next time you don't leave it on as long, the gray will not fully cover and will shine through and look unnatural. If you want a more natural look, ask them to keep your sideburns gray. Think Mitt Romney, his hair is colored for sure but it always looks very natural.
Super_PACS_Cozy_Relationship_04262.jpg

Sonero

Practically Family
Hairdresser here. I always tell people to give themselves a week to get used to a change they've made in their hair. Most likely a week didn't make the hair look any different, you just became more comfortable with it. If next time you don't leave it on as long, the gray will not fully cover and will shine through and look unnatural. If you want a more natural look, ask them to keep your sideburns gray. Think Mitt Romney, his hair is colored for sure but it always looks very natural.
Super_PACS_Cozy_Relationship_04262.jpg

Great Advice Sir .

I was very disappointed when I got my hair colored two weeks ago but after a week I was really into it. It made me question whether the stylist left it on too long or maybe I needed a lighter shade.

Would you say it takes a week for the color to blend in ? A female friend of mine saw pictures at different stages and said it was the initial shock value which led me to dislike it at first. All the pictures I showed her looked the same to her.

Are you familiar with Aveda's Black Malva ? I use that conditioner to keep color in it and I use Tres Flores oil and pomade for styling and conditioning.

Comments ? :)

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Great Advice Sir .

I was very disappointed when I got my hair colored two weeks ago but after a week I was really into it. It made me question whether the stylist left it on too long or maybe I needed a lighter shade.

Would you say it takes a week for the color to blend in ? A female friend of mine saw pictures at different stages and said it was the initial shock value which led me to dislike it at first. All the pictures I showed her looked the same to her.

Are you familiar with Aveda's Black Malva ? I use that conditioner to keep color in it and I use Tres Flores oil and pomade for styling and conditioning.

Comments ? :)
It can look a little matte at first, yes. After a few shampoos it can blend a bit better, but I agree with the initial shock value affecting your opinion the most. Conditioner does not protect color, shampoo does because it has the surfactants in it. Many products like to promote "color safe" conditioner, but it doesn't make a difference. I am not familiar with the particular product you mentioned, but I am familiar with the Aveda brand and I think they are reputable and a good choice.

Sonero

Practically Family
It can look a little matte at first, yes. After a few shampoos it can blend a bit better, but I agree with the initial shock value affecting your opinion the most. Conditioner does not protect color, shampoo does because it has the surfactants in it. Many products like to promote "color safe" conditioner, but it doesn't make a difference. I am not familiar with the particular product you mentioned, but I am familiar with the Aveda brand and I think they are reputable and a good choice.

Thanks for your response.

Sonero

Practically Family
One more question please.

I am interested in dying my hair at home. Any advice on what brand to buy....Clariol ? Is there such thing as permanent color in home kits,or available in the salons only ?

I guess I should do it professionaly a few times but man is it tempting to do it myself.

robrinay

One Too Many
When I was in my early thirties my hairdresser suggested she might give me (expensive), grey streaks - she said it would make me look more distinguished, mature and perhaps help me gain promotion - As a money savvy Yorkshireman I declined the offer. Now at 64 I've got them for free - nuff said!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Last thing about trying to look younger. I don't think it's a matter of being a "timefighter," but really more of trying to look as good as possible.

Not sure that there is a difference. Fighting time is about trying to look as good as possible, i.e, younger. When someone says to a 50 year-old, "you look great" they generally mean great for a 50 year-old. The idea being that you wear your age lightly.

Edward

Bartender
I always wanted a skunk stripe. Used to powder one in occasionally. Not enough hair left now for it to be worth bothering with anything other than a full shave. (Balded young, very common among academics).

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
One more question please.

I am interested in dying my hair at home. Any advice on what brand to buy....Clariol ? Is there such thing as permanent color in home kits,or available in the salons only ?

I guess I should do it professionaly a few times but man is it tempting to do it myself.
I honestly am not too familiar with OTC color, just the professional brands. My suggestion would be to look up reviews on the best brand you can buy in store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21