Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
carebear said:
I can say it now. If there's one part of your (great) look I thought could improve, it was your haircut. This suits you much better than the straight all round. :eusa_clap

I empathize because I wore mine much like your previous cut until I joined the Marines.

It isn't "vintage" but I use a cream pomade, lots of hold without looking too wet or clumpy. Let the hair dry and comb it in.

Yeah, I didn't really like the previous haircut either, but it took it a while to grow long enough to the point where it actually lies flat. My hair is really thick and stubborn.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I don't have anything to put in it yet, but I got this haircut yesterday. Told my barber something with a '30s vibe to it, and this is what I got. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

IMG_54231.jpg

Your barber did a terrific job--great cut!

Jerekson

One Too Many
My current cut

This is basically the same cut I've had for the past few years. It's a version of the golden era cut, modified to work for me.

Here's an example of what a 99-cent can of petrolium jelly can do.

This is the look I was going for on the last page. I think I've got it done.
Again, basic 30's look that has been tweaked to fit me better. What do you think?

Hair_8.png

Hair_7.png

I can make it flatter, but I typcially look like a moron without at least a little volume.

This is the same thing (the jelly) after being a bit messed up in front. I have my hair cut to hang a certain way in the bangs (I'll explain this later) just one of the things I do that differs from the original 30's cut.

Hair_6.png

I like both ways.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I don't have anything to put in it yet, but I got this haircut yesterday. Told my barber something with a '30s vibe to it, and this is what I got. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

IMG_54231.jpg

Wow.. your barber did an awesome job! Looks great without product in it or you can always occasionally shine it up with pomade... bet it looks great either way, very nice cut indeed.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
This is basically the same cut I've had for the past few years. It's a version of the golden era cut, modified to work for me.

Here's an example of what a 99-cent can of petrolium jelly can do.

This is the look I was going for on the last page. I think I've got it done.
Again, basic 30's look that has been tweaked to fit me better. What do you think?

Hair_8.png

Hair_7.png

I can make it flatter, but I typcially look like a moron without at least a little volume.

This is the same thing (the jelly) after being a bit messed up in front. I have my hair cut to hang a certain way in the bangs (I'll explain this later) just one of the things I do that differs from the original 30's cut.

Hair_6.png

I like both ways.

That's a good look for you, I've never tried just using Vaseline.. suppose it's about the same as using the royal crown hairdressing I use to topcoat mine. I'm the same way, if I style mine to flat to my head I look like a geek!

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Here's a detail of the top. Sometimes I like to do more a 40's than 30's part..but either way works fine for me. The shine is brought to you by Brylcreem..

guayaberaupdaterr4.jpg

=Adrian=

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
neon_martini64 said:
The 'old fashioned' men's barber shop is getting harder and harder to find. I was happy to have found one @ Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle. There's Art of partially naked women on the walls, stacks of Playboy magazines, and the talk ranged around similar subjects. Save maybe 'farming'. Definitely fishing though! $14 for the works. The original owner's health is not well, so his assistant is running it for him. I hope they survive.

In this world of mass-production, 'super-chop' strip-mall type of operations where gender is ambiguous at best, it's nice to have a men's grooming place where men can be men. Talking about man things and the PC police not around is a big plus. If only we could smoke cigars in there.

<lament>
I would gladly drive up to Seattle for the treatment on a recommendation! Let me know where this place is!

cinnabunny

New in Town
Hi there! My husband told me about this site, so I came here looking for some haircutting advice. He goes to what he calls the "real deal" (an old barber that started cutting other fellows' hair when he was in the service), so he goes in there and asks him to "cut it like it's 1944." Unfortunately, the barber is in his hometown (over 1 hr. away) and he obviously won't be around forever. Hubby has been disappointed with every other barbershop, even when he explicitly tells them what he wants.

So he has decided to "train" me in the ways of 1940's men's haircuts. I was extremely skeptical, but we bought a clippers with a bunch of attachments and I've been playing around with it. I use the 1/4" attachment on the back, and use a comb plus the clippers (no attachment) to clean up around the ears. I kept ending up with a really bad "shelf" at ear level in the back, until I tried using the blending attachment on that area. Instead of moving the clippers upwards (as I did to cut the back), I move the clippers+blending attachment downwards from above the shelf to the cut area below. This method still leaves a slight shelf, but it looks pretty good. Lastly, I shave his neck to clean everything up.

The part I was most anxious about was the top. I kept asking my husband about that, but he kept telling me, "Leave the top alone!" And wow....that's pretty much what I'm reading here, too!

I cut my own. Occasionally, when it's grown to the point that it's somewhat unmanageable, I'll go to supercuts and tell them not to touch the top, just use a 1/4" attachment on the sides and blend it. That still gets expensive at $14, but if you only visit once every three months, that not so bad.

I dropped $35 on a Wahl clipper with all the attachments. I've got an extra mirror, so I uue that to see the back. I'll start very short around the ears and in the back, about a 1/4", and cut about 1 1/2" above the ears. I keep it that high all the way around, and slowly blend it in with progressively larger attachments. There's always a shelf this way, unless you're a magician with a comb and can blend it in properly...which you shouldn't anyway for a proper look. Let the top grow out as long as you want it.

This has greatly boosted my spirits because it's pretty much what I've been doing! :)

The barber told him to use Lucky Tiger, so he applies that and parts/combs it back. This results in some very interesting hat hair when he pulls his ball cap off at the end of the day!

The_Phantom

New in Town
Why don't you and your man go back to the barber and ask him about how he does it? If he's getting on in the years, he knows it and would love for someone to continue his amazing skills. I know that every time i'm getting a barber shop haircut and ask them how they got a certain look in my hair i could be there for hours while they explain it as if they're talking about some amazing journey (of the haircut ;) ). And by the end of all that i could practically do the cut myself with my eyes closed

BY THE NUMBERS

By the numbers. Wahl uses Numbers on the clipper cutting height guides. 1 thru 4 are straight lengths with 1 being shortest. Then 5 & 6 are the angle cuts used for blending. You can go into any baber or hair salon and say gimme a number 2 and they will know exactly what you are talking about.

Chec=k the guides and you should see No.1 and so on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany