Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Another non-Brownshirt haircut from the Golden Era. Why is it that practically no Loungers go for this cut?

'Coz it don't bring out my eyes. :p

Actually I fully applaud all efforts to increase its popularity among the male Loungers.

billyspew

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Another non-Brownshirt haircut from the Golden Era. Why is it that practically no Loungers go for this cut?

039_25514Errol-Flynn-Posters.jpg

Now that is what I'm going to ask for next time.
Got my usual today (not a current photo but it's the same):
3525623365_e0182be8ea_m.jpg

TTFN

Bill

I can't imagine being without my Pomp, I've had it since I was 10 or 11. I wanted big burns from the time I was a kid, and now I can kind of grow them, and will not shave them off! I saw a guy at Napa today with the same haircut as myself, he was in his 60's. I have 2 different pomps I pull, my casual one, when I'm out and about, very big, and my business pomp, which I wear at work is much smaller and more professional looking. Either way, I keep a razor straight part.

brylcreem boy said:
Tom, I got off and on/ hating on the sideburns when I had a rockabilly pompadour, I say if you like them keep them. I sometimes miss my pompadour, but with my new job and moving into my 40's now, I had to opt for a more clean cut side part, but the nice thing I still have a cut I can keep slicked back/greased.

beastiefishboy

New in Town
hi guys
am new to this site so be gentle with me lol
ive always had big sideburns and have gone through various hair styles from the massively long metaller look to a messy sticky-up all over the place look right down to a crew cut.
ive always admired guys with pomp's and have decided that at 37 im ready to go for it meself.
i have a number of problems tho.
1. i have no idea how to grow it and what to do with it in the inbetween stage (its currently about an inch long on top and shaved short at back and sides)
2. i am an accountant by day but by night im an army cadet instructor. i therefore have to keep it short and presentable for cadets (back and sides anyway) and it has to be such that i can put me beret on and off without it getting all greased up.
any help anyone can give me would be most welcome!

repeatclicks

Practically Family
beastiefishboy said:
hi guys
am new to this site so be gentle with me lol
ive always had big sideburns and have gone through various hair styles from the massively long metaller look to a messy sticky-up all over the place look right down to a crew cut.
ive always admired guys with pomp's and have decided that at 37 im ready to go for it meself.
i have a number of problems tho.
1. i have no idea how to grow it and what to do with it in the inbetween stage (its currently about an inch long on top and shaved short at back and sides)
2. i am an accountant by day but by night im an army cadet instructor. i therefore have to keep it short and presentable for cadets (back and sides anyway) and it has to be such that i can put me beret on and off without it getting all greased up.
any help anyone can give me would be most welcome!

Depends on how high you want the pomp to be, but traditionally, the front of your hair, if pulled in front of your face, will come just below the top of your lip. You need that much length because its how you get that nice 'rise-fall' of the hair once you comb it up and back. To get some ideas, you can check out:

http://www.myspace.com/something_hells

Mr Ducktail has been cutting for over a decade now, specializing in 50s hairstyles. He has plenty of photos for you to look at in his photo album called 'greasers aint no suckers'

Donnie Hawley from Hawleywoods barbers in California has a myspace with loads of photos too, but he has to add you as a friend to see them.

As far as the growing process, its going to be awkward no matter how you slice it. Good luck!

Bert

New in Town
repeatclicks said:
Depends on how high you want the pomp to be, but traditionally, the front of your hair, if pulled in front of your face, will come just below the top of your lip.

Bonjour à tous

Well, that's it. You'll need great length. I'll said at least to the eyebrow, or like me, below the nose. Like this : http://www.slickville.com/sections/residents/michael/michael_menu.html
Pomps are quite hard to fix if the hair is too long. With a medium length, you can fix a pomp or also part and slick you hair to be more "business typed".

For the sides, it depends if you want a classic oldschool pomp, featuring quite long sides slicked back (elvis style) or the "Mr. ducktail" cuts, with very short buzzed sides, fading to skin.

Amicalement, Bertrand, France / Canada.

A lot goes on how your hair lays. Mine sticks up if it's not long. My pomp, when combed down comes to the tip of my nose. And I keep mine fairly small for work, etc.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I always used to ask for a number tree on the back and sides and long layers on the top with a side part, until I saw my Barber "Ali" finishing a customer before me, it looked really good, I asked what the guy had, had done? and its a number 3, through the back and sides, with the top left long , and "Hacked into" a bit with a "Square back" so thats what I ask for now, I have given up on wax, it messes my hats, so I use a small bit of "Hard Rock" gel by Wella. if it gets on the hat it brushes clean away. BTW this Avatar was in Summer when it was cropped rather short on top, "The damned Australian Heat Don't ya know?"

matei

One Too Many
repeatclicks said:
To get some ideas, you can check out:

http://www.myspace.com/something_hells

Mr Ducktail has been cutting for over a decade now, specializing in 50s hairstyles. He has plenty of photos for you to look at in his photo album called 'greasers aint no suckers'

Has anyone here gone to the aforementioned Mr. Ducktail? I'd be interested, as it is high time to cut me barnet.

Ray George

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Highly recommended by flappers everywhere -- John Gilbert's "offscreen" haircut in the early 1920s:

johngilbertportraitnew4.jpg

0441_5x8_john_gilbert.jpg

Wow! Yeah... John Gilbert...

When my Dad was living, my Mother used to tell me that, "everyone"
thought he strongly resembled John Gilbert...

Now, lots of my friends say, "You are starting to look like your Dad!"

I take that as a great compliment! :rolleyes:

matei

One Too Many
C'est dommage... I went over to Mr. Ducktail's shop but alas, he was at some rockabilly festival and wouldn't be back until Tuesday.

So... I went to a local place, Rough Cut (featuring a big aul hedgehog out front). The girl who cut my hair went all-out trying to get me what I was after!

When I explained what I wanted, she knew exactly what I was referring to, and was very excited to finally get this type of request. She said that where she is from (Japan), there is a great interest in all things related to the '30s/'40s/'50s, and is a big fan herself.

While I was getting my hair washed, she went in the back and dug up a photo showing a a period-correct 'do.

She double-checked with me that it was what I wanted, and started to work... the end results are great.

Even better... the wife likes it as well!

So - back to the short hair for me for the time being. :)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
You need to show us pics :)

Ok, so I did get this haircut, and the results were great. Really tight whitewalls at the sides and the back - a 1 / 0 all the way up and not all the way at the back.

The top still has the full pomp - so parting easy to do. Also was/is great for slicked back pomp on top.

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Ok, so I did get this haircut, and the results were great. Really tight whitewalls at the sides and the back - a 1 / 0 all the way up and not all the way at the back.

The top still has the full pomp - so parting easy to do. Also was/is great for slicked back pomp on top.

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Very nicely done! Your barber left nice lines on the cut, very clean and sharp.. bet those whitewalls feel nice and cool when the air hits them. Looks like your enjoying the getaway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart