Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

ECHEVALIER

New in Town
use murrays pomade guys

JohnnieT

New in Town
Great cut on the cheap.

Although there usually aren't many positive things to say about Iraq, one benefit is the hair care. For three to five dollars, depending on which FOB (forward operating base) you are on, you usually get the full fixin's. Clippers still do the grunt work, but you'll also get a fine touch with the scissors, a razor across the back of the neck, and the old-school floss/wire trick on the sideburns (much closer and better looking than any shave).
These guys do a fantastic job on the cheap. During my last deployment our barbershop had three barbers working. I would wait in line for the same one each time, and I had no problem giving him three bucks to cut my hair and a few more dollars of tip. Iraqi barbers a pretty good at getting to know you and paying attention to what you like.
All of the above can easily apply to Korean barbers as well. It seems that several cultures have feircely resisted the "know your numbers" approach.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some 'off duty' photos of hair styles in the RAF...

This is from a box of old photos of my Uncle Joe's who passed away a few years ago. He was in the RAF. This pic is from the late 40's to early 50's (Germany I think).

UNCLEJOE020.jpg

UNCLEJOE019.jpg

OldSoul

Familiar Face
This question is about barbering, so I think it belongs in here for the most part.

In Canada, is it true there is only one school instruction traditional barbering? I'm having trouble finding any information about schooling that is geared towards barbering.

My barber feels like I'm better off going to the larger city centers in the U.S, as there are more institutions offering courses.

I ask because I'd like to try my hand at it some day, after I get my journeyman Parts Technician ticket.

thank you in advance,

-Graham

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now THAT'S a MOP...

chanteuseCarey said:
The hairstyle on the gent with the big moustache' would be the DON'T look...

That's some 'character' of a fellow isn't it..!! You could just see him at the controls of a Spitfire or Hurricane (My uncle was on Halifaxes during WWII).

Also look at some of the pants these boys are wearing!! I'm sure there's a pair that are bordering on Oxfords if not Collegiates!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Kane Gruber said:
So, long on top, super-short on the sides and back, you say?

I am not an expert, but in all the movies i watch, from the 20s and 30s, hair is cut in a couple of ways, long on top and super- short on sides which was the most popular cut, or super- short on sides and short on top. Shaved heads were not uncommon either, believe it or not. To my eye everything looks good. :D

Here we have a very mean looking Jimmy Cagney ;) :D with short on top and very short on sides and back.
gal_Cagney_James_5.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Oh, Jimmy's haircut is already in this thread :p

Anyway, i found this, it might help if you take it to your barber/hairdresser, he will know what you mean (well.... one can only hope he will know [huh])

classic-mens-haircut.gif

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
We keep answering and you keep asking. Here are some illustrations.
You need to let it GROW. Shoot for a new do for Spring, 2010:

LONG.
Photo21.jpg

Grow it out long, so it covers your face completely. The get the sides and back cropped down to nubs. Add goop, slick it back, and you're on your way to Valentino. I don't know how this will work with really curly hair, but I know it won't work if it's short, no matter what hair type.

Good luck. :)

So much like my avatar's famous haircut. :)

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
I love that Cagney picture, I have brought that very picture in to my barber before!

Here's me in the chair:

photo-12.jpg

And sitting in the 'shop:

photo-13.jpg

I can almost see you back there....

Jerekson

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Oh, Jimmy's haircut is already in this thread :p

Anyway, i found this, it might help if you take it to your barber/hairdresser, he will know what you mean (well.... one can only hope he will know [huh])

classic-mens-haircut.gif

You just hit the jackpot with that picture! I think that may be JUST what I need to show my barber!

Are there any more pictures like this, in a collection or something?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Jerekson said:
You just hit the jackpot with that picture! I think that may be JUST what I need to show my barber!

Are there any more pictures like this, in a collection or something?

That's the only picture like that i found Jerekson, but i'm sure if your barber knows what's he is doing and has some experience in 20s and 30s haircuts , he will have no problem following the steps on the graphic. :)

Milu

Familiar Face
JohnnieT said:
you'll also get a fine touch with the scissors, a razor across the back of the neck, and the old-school floss/wire trick on the sideburns (much closer and better looking than any shave).

Is that like the trick Greek and Turkish barbers use to deal with ear hair? (alternative to burning paper and blowing flames in your ear?) I've only heard of these, never seen them done. Any details would be much appreciated.

Milu

Familiar Face
MisterCairo said:
"Short back and sides please", the most common asked for cut in Britain.

Referenced, for example, in the Monty Python Skit "The Lumberjack Song"!

It probably was 40 years ago. I think a N° 2 buzz migh be the most popular now.

I always thought the short back and sides was a silly, old fashioned haircut (whoops,my age is showing again), until I saw a couple done properly a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it may be one of the hardest haircuts for a barber to get totally right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot