Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair question

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
In the old days of hat wearing the common dressing for mens hair was oil.
Seems to me this would allow one to carry a comb and deal with "hat hair" once you got wear you were going.

Today we wear gels and sprays that once the brim is removed leaves perma-plastic-mold of the hat.

Seems to me this is part of the reason hat wearing is harder to do with etiquette. Who wants to remove his hat once indoors with a reverse mold of his hat on his head.

Any thoughts on this issue?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ahh... Hat Head.

Personally speaking, longer hair length has meant less Hat Head. In front, the sweat of a fedora rests below my hairline so it only gets smooshed in a ballcap.

YMMV

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I use Brylcreem. It allows reworking easily, but isn't greasy looking or feeling, when used in moderation. ("a little dab'll do ya!")

Joel

Feraud

Bartender
BigSleep said:
Today we wear gels and sprays that once the brim is removed leaves perma-plastic-mold of the hat.

Seems to me this is part of the reason hat wearing is harder to do with etiquette. Who wants to remove his hat once indoors with a reverse mold of his hat on his head.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Hat wearing is not hard to do. The reason hat etiquette is misunderstood or unknown is because of the generation of men that were raised by dads who did not wear hats. Add to that the decline in use of specific men's hair products and the increase in "unisex" type hair fixatives.

Because of these factors there is no dad to tell his son not to use the latest beauty parlor style gel or hairspray. The effect of "hat head" can be lessened with a shorter hairstyle or an old school men's hair fixative like Brylcreem.

The hatless father is also not able to council his son on purchasing the correct size hat.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Which means what? That every time a guy takes off his fedora, he ends up having to re-comb his Brlylcreem'd hair?
Tricky to do without a mirror around. Furthermore, in today's world, that will make him look like some self-absorbed, narcissistic dandy. [huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Which means what? That every time a guy takes off his fedora, he ends up having to re-comb his Brlylcreem'd hair?
Tricky to do without a mirror around. Furthermore, in today's world, that will make him look like some self-absorbed, narcissistic dandy. [huh]

Step into the bathroom. Problem?[huh]

Feraud

Bartender
A hat will disturb your hair regardless or hairspray, gel or going without. Re-combing a Brylcreem'd hair is much easier then fixing gel or hairsprayed hair.
As for the dandy part, I don't think combing one's hair is particularly foppish. [huh]

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
...I don't think combing one's hair is particularly foppish.

To me, at least, it is foppish for a man to comb his hair in front of others in public (unless at a very informal setting, such as poolside or at the beach).

Do (American) women reapply their makeup while standing at a bar, or sitting at a restaurant table?

Feraud

Bartender
There is a time and place for everything

Marc Chevalier said:
To me, at least, it is foppish for a man to comb his hair in public (unless at a very informal setting, such as poolside or at the beach).

Do (American) women reapply their makeup while standing at a bar, or sitting at a restaurant table?

I agree in a sense. Sadly, women do re-apply makeup in public and it looks tacky! I do not think men or women should be sitting in a restaurant or standing in the middle of a city street combing their hair! That is the wrong time.
When one enters a restaurant and removes their hat and notices the hat head, that is the perfect time to say "excuse me" and take care of business in the bathroon.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
When one enters a restaurant and removes their hat and notices the hat head, that is the perfect time to say "excuse me" and take care of business in the bathroom.

Yes, but the only way to notice that one has "hat hair" is to:

a.) have a mirror handy, or

b.) touch one's hair with one's hand to feel if it's misshapen, or

c.) ask one's colleagues if one has a case of "hat hair", or

c.) just assume that one probably has "hat hair".

What if there isn't a mirror around? And how can a guy touch his hair in front of others in public without looking awkward? And what if a guy is embarrassed to ask someone if he has "hat hair"?

Which leaves us with option "c": running off to the restroom whenever there's even a possibility of "hat hair".

:(

I started going bald before I was out of my teens. I've been shiny on top for decades now and what's left of the rest is decidedly thin in spots.
If there's one look that tempts me to suggest a guy get himself promptly to the barbershop, it's long, wispy hair. So I keep mine cut quite short. I know it's time for a haircut when I see evidence of "hat head."
See, no problem! I'm just lucky, I guess.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Yes, and on the subway in the morning on the way to work too.

As for the comb - I never leave the house with one; I just use my fingers. It works well enough to puff everything up again, and remove any hat lines.

Marc Chevalier said:
To me, at least, it is foppish for a man to comb his hair in front of others in public (unless at a very informal setting, such as poolside or at the beach).

The Fonz disagrees with you and so does Cookie. :D I think you are looking at it from today's hedgehog hairstyle perspective. Of course you don't have to comb it but once a day! :p Back in the day it was different. You always wanted to look presentable. I can remember my father pulling out his comb more than once in public. He had it easy though. "Straight back---just comb it straight back" is what he would say. I prefer a side part. In either case, you can do without a mirrror unless you don't remember what you head looks like. ;) I have had mine for many years. Let me tell you, I can easily feel the areas where it has been mussed. :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy