Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair rats

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Made it to Sally's Last night and bought the hair net.. went home and made my first rat. I use so many differnt types of brushes that I hair for days.

I think I will use them tomorrow in my hair :)

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
I made my own hair rats a couple of nights ago by using my old hair extensions...I had to keep adjusting them to get the right size and shape to suit but they were so quick and easy to make.

swinggal

One Too Many
Here's a tip gals. I have made many hair rats in the past (Ihave about 10) but what I do is use a round flat brush on my hair rather that a conical one. You let the hair fill the and then you peel the oval of hair of fin one piece. It's circular and flat.

It is usually already pretty matted together at this point so all you need to do is rub the hair together between the palms of your hands. This makes a nice, flat pancake shape. I then roll them up into a sausage when I use them in my hair. If you want a smaller rat for side rolls etc take the hair off the brush earlier.

This is the kind of brush I use (mine is a bit wider), but you must be patient and let it fill up and least half way up the bristles before peeling it off.

isinis_212_brush.jpg

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I never would have thought to stick something in my rolls...nice tip. I've heard of women putting tampons in their hair before...I don't know about that. With my luck the string would hang out and my 13-year-old son would tug on it. LOL!

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I never would have thought to stick something in my rolls...nice tip. I've heard of women putting tampons in their hair before...I don't know about that. With my luck the string would hang out and my 13-year-old son would tug on it. LOL!

lol oh my! the things people do for fashion!

Lorena B

Practically Family
HPIM2100.jpg
[/IMG]

I have actually tried the foam rolls and to be honest, they didnt make it for me, so i ended up making my own rats.

Got myself a hairnet, filled up with hair i have been recollecting from my brushes and that's done!

I have also made another one of a laddered tight, just simple rolled it inside and bingo.

this is the result

www.myspace.com/lorena54

Leila de la May

New in Town
Wow, this is such a great idea, as I've always struggled with my victory rolls.
I'll have to brush my hair twice as often just so I can collect some hair quick enough. I can't wait.
Wish me luck. ;)

SnackPacKid

New in Town
Silly me! I've been wanting to put together a hair rat, and all this time I've been throwing away those wads of hair off my brush!

Lorena B

Practically Family
Jeez!! Thank you for that cumpliment SV, you just pointed one of my 3 favorite girls!!!:D :D :D :D I can live in peace the rest of my life. Wow. cheers ;)

Adelaide

New in Town
I have made three different sizes of hair rats out of my sheeps wool. I have white, brown, and gray to blend and am pleased with the results. I am taking them with me to my hairdressers appointment on Thursday. Ursula is going to be put through her paces, because I have never darkened a hairdressers door before and to do so while asking for pin curls...

At the very least, Victory Rolls.

We'll see.

A. :)

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
I actually make my Own Rats!
I have long hair, so my brush is always Full of hair.... I then take an old stocking that has runs....
Tie a knot at one end, then Stuff hair...then tie a knot at the other end.
p.s make sure the stocking is a color that wont been seen though your hair....mine is Dark brown.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Adelaide said:
I have made three different sizes of hair rats out of my sheeps wool. I have white, brown, and gray to blend and am pleased with the results. I am taking them with me to my hairdressers appointment on Thursday. Ursula is going to be put through her paces, because I have never darkened a hairdressers door before and to do so while asking for pin curls...

At the very least, Victory Rolls.

We'll see.

A. :)

What a great idea? How did you assemble the rats? I found this article and thought it was terrific.
http://beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com/search/label/Rats
I may order some crepe wool, to try it out. Has anyone done this before?

Inky

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
What a great idea? How did you assemble the rats? I found this article and thought it was terrific.
http://beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com/search/label/Rats
I may order some crepe wool, to try it out. Has anyone done this before?

when I made my own bright red rat for faux bangs I ratted up colored hair extensions into roughly the cigar shape I wanted, then covered it in a invisible hair net like this type:

http://www.cachebeauty.com/Nets/jac-o-net_regular_lightbrown_elastic.htm

I took a bit of thread and stitched the hairnet into place as needed and also every now and then I spray my rat with some hair spray to keep it smooth. so far i've used it dozens and dozens of time and it's works like a charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo