Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyist Reccomendations and Referrals

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well in that case: congratulations!! :D

Don't worry your pretty little pregnant head about it! We have so many events and weekends coming up, I honestly don't know when I would have time either.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, ruby!

One of these we'll manage to get together. Are you going to name him Little Ricky if he's a boy? lol (I love the Lucy pics with you and your hubby)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Actually,I think Ricky would be perfect!;)

My hubby's favorite author is Dashiell Hammett and I've always loved that name,but with a last name like Castaneda it would be quite the mouthful.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi Cherry Bomb,

So sorry for my delay in answering, I've been offline for awhile. I went to Mount Holyoke (but spent a fair amount of my college time in Amherst and Northampton thanks to the PVTA). I love the Valley but don't get there very often anymore.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I was skimming through this thread and saw the name Westfield--my oldest sister lives there! It is a neat town--I have visited her a few times and thought the place was pretty vintage. I'm from North Granby, CT--I moved to AZ when I was 8 1/2.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, well I like your choices. So long as y'all can find something you're both happy with. Ricardo Castenada would sound nice. Dashiell is a nice name and unusual, which I like unususal names. I've always liked the combination Kyle Chandler, after an actor that used to be on a tv show called Early Edition. He also played a baseball player on the 1940s based drama HomeFront.

My fiance wants to name our son (when we start having babies in the far off future) either Leopoldo (his father's name), Leonardo (after DiVinci), Maximo (or was it Maximus?), or Ignacio (His grandfather's name and I suggested jokingly call him Nacho for short-which he liked). I don't like his boy name choices, and he doesn't like my name choices for girls (Ella or Ana-after Indiana) but we've come to an agreement: He chooses the boy's names and I choose the girl names as I'm pretty strong about the girl's names and he's pretty strong on what he wants for the boy's names. He won't let me name a boy as he's afraid I might name him Indiana. Little does he know I'd do Henry (Indy's real name) instead if I were to go that route.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
We're the same way,that's too funny!
However,we both really dislike each other's favorites so we're compromising by picking something we both like.
Hubby wanted Angus for a boy. Nothing wrong with it really,but in texas his middle name would have to be "Beef".lol
I've always liked Tallulah for a girl and he just hates it.
So far,Dashiell James has really grown on us.James was his grandfather and we could call him Dash for short or DJ.
No idea for a girl just yet.

How's wedding planning?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh I like Dashiell James (DJ for short or Dash-very cute!). I understand about Angus...my first thought was a Scotland as that was the name of my first Scottie's biological father.

Wedding plans are going amazingly smooth. My two bridesmaids and I went shopping today...found their dresses in royal blue for half off at Special Occasion Dresses and then we found some super cute shoes to go with them and didn't have to leave Arlington at all. My mom came over tonight and we got alot of the invitations addressed, although we aren't send them out for another 3-4 weeks. I just wish October would hurry and get here.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
imoldfashioned said:
Hi Heather,

I'll mention your name when I see her. I probably won't be able to get to her 'till the middle of July (I had no idea I was so busy until I tried to make an appointment!).

The class sounds really great (more info below), hope I can make it there.

Best,

Sarah

1940's Pin Up Look Class
Sunday July 30, 2006
12-3pm
$60

**Hollywood Ultra presents it's first ever Pin Up Look Class. You will learn AUTHENTIC 1940s make up and hair styling tips to create your own individual pin up look!! The class will take place in Merrimac, MA (40 mins from Boston MA, and Manchester NH). Snackies and drinkies (non-alchocolic) will be served!

The class will include:
*$70 dollars worth of (full not trial size!) make up that you get to keep!
*Authentic 1940s make up application lesson
*Basic DIY pin up hair style lesson
*A Brief (so as to not be boring) 1940s Style History

Space is limited to 10 so book now!! Reservation and Payment must be received by June 25th

I must revitalize this thread to find out if you ended up taking this class.
I am going to give them a call on Monday. My hopes are that the class was successful enough for her to offer another one. I'm so sad I found this thread so late! I would have loved to do this.
I'll let you all know if she is offering another class. It would be great if the ladies in the area could meet up at this salon and take the class together, that is if she's willing to offer it again.
Another thought is, maybe she would be willing to do another class like this if enough of us gals here in the Boston/NewHampshire/Maine or other New England areas worked out a date that worked for most of us. It would be so much fun to meet you all in such a fun setting, albeit it could be a painful day of pincurl, but at least we'd have a little time together to meet.
Let me know what Y'all think. Like I said I'll give her a call, bring the idea up with her just to get an idea if she would be game for something like this. Then we could work out the details. I am in need of some serious 30's and 40's do help.

Daisy Buchanan

imoldfashioned said:
Hi Heather,

I'll mention your name when I see her. I probably won't be able to get to her 'till the middle of July (I had no idea I was so busy until I tried to make an appointment!).

The class sounds really great (more info below), hope I can make it there.

Best,

Sarah

1940's Pin Up Look Class
Sunday July 30, 2006
12-3pm
$60

**Hollywood Ultra presents it's first ever Pin Up Look Class. You will learn AUTHENTIC 1940s make up and hair styling tips to create your own individual pin up look!! The class will take place in Merrimac, MA (40 mins from Boston MA, and Manchester NH). Snackies and drinkies (non-alchocolic) will be served!

The class will include:
*$70 dollars worth of (full not trial size!) make up that you get to keep!
*Authentic 1940s make up application lesson
*Basic DIY pin up hair style lesson
*A Brief (so as to not be boring) 1940s Style History

Space is limited to 10 so book now!! Reservation and Payment must be received by June 25th
I just found out that Marcella at Hollywood Ultra is offering another class like this on Saturday Sept. 23rd. She is offering another one in October, I think it is the 21st, but I'm not positive.
I am calling today to reserve a spot. I hope that some of you gals from this area will join me. It would be so great to meet you there.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
I just found out that Marcella at Hollywood Ultra is offering another class like this on Saturday Sept. 23rd. She is offering another one in October, I think it is the 21st, but I'm not positive.
I am calling today to reserve a spot. I hope that some of you gals from this area will join me. It would be so great to meet you there.
Hi Daisy. Oohhhhh drat, I wish this was a little bit closer. It's about a 4 hour and 45 min drive for me. 333 miles. I would love to go, but it's a bit too far.:mad:

Daisy Buchanan

waingirl said:
Hi Daisy. Oohhhhh drat, I wish this was a little bit closer. It's about a 4 hour and 45 min drive for me. 333 miles. I would love to go, but it's a bit too far.:mad:
Yeah, that is a far drive all for a pin curl lesson!! Although, the foliage would be beautiful. My door is always open if you wanted to spend a weekend in Boston.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Alas no, I didn't go to the class...

but good to know she is offering it again, maybe I can go this Fall. Please let us know how it is when you go, Daisy.

I really loved Marcella but the distance ended up being too far for me to go to see her as my regular hairdresser. Believe it or not, I haven't gotten my haircut yet(!) but I have an appointment next week at Fresh Hair in JP. I'll let you know how it goes.

It is so frustrating growing my hair out I wish it would just get to be shoulder length already.

Daisy Buchanan

imoldfashioned said:
but good to know she is offering it again, maybe I can go this Fall. Please let us know how it is when you go, Daisy.

I really loved Marcella but the distance ended up being too far for me to go to see her as my regular hairdresser. Believe it or not, I haven't gotten my haircut yet(!) but I have an appointment next week at Fresh Hair in JP. I'll let you know how it goes.

It is so frustrating growing my hair out I wish it would just get to be shoulder length already.
Let me know what you think of the salon in JP. I think the ride to Marcella will be fine for the pin-up class, but I am looking for someone more local for regular hair cuts. I live in Allston/Brighton, so JP is right around the corner.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Yeah, that is a far drive all for a pin curl lesson!! Although, the foliage would be beautiful. My door is always open if you wanted to spend a weekend in Boston.
Aww, thank you Daisy, that is so nice. Enjoy the class and please tell us all about it after. :) I wish there was something like this in NY.

Daisy Buchanan

waingirl said:
Aww, thank you Daisy, that is so nice. Enjoy the class and please tell us all about it after. :) I wish there was something like this in NY.
You're very welcome. I'll try to take some pictures while at the class so I can post them. I need this class really badly.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Let me know what you think of the salon in JP. I think the ride to Marcella will be fine for the pin-up class, but I am looking for someone more local for regular hair cuts. I live in Allston/Brighton, so JP is right around the corner.

Will do Daisy! I'm scheduled for 8/15 and so far I'm very impressed with the shop.

I spoke with the owner and talked about what I'm looking for and she recommended 2 stylists. I'm going to start with a Shingle and grow into the Middy.

She was also glad to get the diagram from 1940s Hair which, in my experience, is unusual. Most of the stylists I've spoken with seem more interested in doing their own thing--sort of a "2006 1940s cut" if I'm lucky rather than trying to be faithful to the old styles.

I'll keep you posted.

hollywood*ultra

New in Town
Hey girls,
I've been terribly busy and somehow managed to neglect posting the information about the Hollywood Ultra, Pin Up Glamour Class on this site (Many Apologies!)... Below I will repost the information-- any questions, etc, please feel free to email me!

Sincerely,
Marcella Termini
Hollywood Ultra
PS Thank you for the lovely kind words!
Did you miss the 1st Hollywood Ultra Pin Up Glamour Class? Well, due to popular demand, I've decided to do not one but two more classes!!!

When: Saturday September 23rd, 2006 and Saturday October 21st, 2006

Where: Merrimac, MA (email for directions)

Price: $70-- includes all make up used and a customized Hollywood Ultra hair styling

This class will demonstrate the authentic 1940s Hollywood Starlet Pin Up Face, a classic look that will acheive the glamour and beauty not seen since Judy Garland was in her 20's!! You will be part of the demonstration-- doing your face as we go!!

The second half of the class features a demonstration of Hollywood Ultra's two most requested styles, finishing up with you getting a custom Hollywood Ultra 'do--complete with verbal and visual instruction!!!

We'll have a photographer on hand as well as something to snack on and fabulous drinks!!

Each class is limited to 8 people, so emaill Hollywood Ultra today to reserve your spot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925