Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyist Reccomendations and Referrals

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got a quick hair cut at Center Salon on Washington Street in Brighton. I happened to mention that I was into vintage styles, and Carol, the stylist, knows how to do them. She even took the time to give me a tutorial on finger waving, which I have never been able to do. She gave me a nice cut, and we spoke of different style options. She was in beauty school 25 years ago when it was still the norm to teach pin curls and other vintage styles. I am still taking the pin up class in September, but just thought I would pass this info on to you other ladies in the Boston area. I like the cut she gave me, and I am going back next week for a deep condition and a color. It was nice to find a salon so close that knows about vintage styling. She also gave me a quick tutorial on a cute vintage up-do that is a good change for me since all I really know how to do are the barrell roles on either side of my head. If anyone needs a cut and is close to this area, I highly recommend her.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Well, I had to postpone my haircut until today. I like Fresh Hair as a salon and I liked Jennifer the stylist but there are clouds over honeymoon hollow.

On one hand she got points for telling me that I should get a perm first, then the cut and so I need to grow my hair another 2 months or so--this meant I didn't end up getting a cut today (or paying anything) and I appreciated that honesty. On the other hand I showed her the diagram from 1940s Hair and she wanted to see photographs of the finished hair because "nobody cuts hair that way anymore". I think that's the death knell.

I think I'll follow Jennifer's advice and grow my hair out for another few months but I'll check out other sources for the cut and perm. The Center Salon sounds very promising Daisy, I think I'll start there.

To be continued.

matei

One Too Many
Hairdressers near Queen Mary?

Hello ladies,

I'm in the Powder Room to post a question on behalf of my wife...

We'll be flying into town for QM 2006 - can anyone recommend a hairdressers capable of doing something vintage-esque near the Queen Mary?

Thanks!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My friend works in a shop on second street, in Long Beach, I'll try to get her information today.

She only works in Long Beach on Fridays, but that should work for most of you.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Okay, I got Samantha's information.

She works at Mane Place in Long Beach:

188 Park St. (near corner of Second St and Park)
Long Beach CA
tel 562 438 2437

She does have experience with vintage hair, here's a photo of some hair that she did recently:

1325342601_m.jpg

She is also a makeup artist, but you'd need to contact her about that. PM me if you need to talk to her. Her personal style is 60's mod vintage, but she likes 30's and 40's too. The salon is in Long Beach, but you'd need to take a car, cab or bus to get there, it isn't walking distance.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
Well, I had to postpone my haircut until today. I like Fresh Hair as a salon and I liked Jennifer the stylist but there are clouds over honeymoon hollow.

On one hand she got points for telling me that I should get a perm first, then the cut and so I need to grow my hair another 2 months or so--this meant I didn't end up getting a cut today (or paying anything) and I appreciated that honesty. On the other hand I showed her the diagram from 1940s Hair and she wanted to see photographs of the finished hair because "nobody cuts hair that way anymore". I think that's the death knell.

I think I'll follow Jennifer's advice and grow my hair out for another few months but I'll check out other sources for the cut and perm. The Center Salon sounds very promising Daisy, I think I'll start there.

To be continued.

I was poking through old threads and I got caught up in reading this one. Please would you finish the story and tell us how the hair turned out for you! lol I would love to know.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi MissHuff,

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, I've been nuts at work the past few weeks and not spending as much time here as I'd like.

Funny you should mention this because I'm hoping to get my body wave/cut in mid Feb. I foolishly dyed my hair around the holidays and they told me to wait at least a month before they did any other "chemical processes". I may end up going to one place for the perm and another for the cut (Daisy's recommended establishment intrigues me greatly).

I'll let you know how it all turns out--hopefully I won't end up on the Goofiest Photos page!

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
New York Hair Stylist Question

I'm due for a haircut soon, does anybody have any suggestions as to where to find a salon or stylist in the NYC / Long Island area that is good for vintage/retro hair cuts and styles?

I've tried google but have been unsuccessful!

Amelie

A-List Customer
the only hair cut I had in New York was at Arrojo Sudio, don't think it's the best place for a vintage hair cut

(even though it's by far the best haircut I have ever had)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I hope you find one!

I go to Bumble & Bumble, but I'm not convinced about the retroworthiness. There's a place called Fringe that I'd like to try. They seem to do a lot of hipster hair, but a lot of hipsters around here do the retro hair/burlesque thing, and the salon had some shots in Bust magazine of some vintage hairstyles. They don't have anything like that on their website, but maybe they know the look at least.

http://www.fringeny.com/

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the suggestions!

Fringe looks very interesting. I haven't had time to go hunting for a full-time stylist, and I've always wanted one. I hope that I'll be able to find a regular stylist soon, and the folks at fringe seem to be very versatile, judging from the images on their website. I'll give them a go!

Vettie Lamour

New in Town
Hollywood Area Hair Stylist

I am going to be working in West Hollywood for a couple of weeks, does anyone know of a good hairstylist who specializes in vintage/pin up girl hair-do's?? I have had the hardest time finding someone in Portland who I like. No one knows how to the classic do's!
Any suggestions would be fabulous... xoxo

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
hello,

it's not very close to weho, but if you can get down to long beach, there's a gal at Atlantic Studio who does vintage cuts at least. i can't remember her name though... maybe you can call them and find out!

i live in portland now, and am trying to find someone to cut my hair the way i want it, that will know what they're doing. i'm going to email around a bit... i'll let you know if i find anything up here :)

Snookie

Practically Family
I go to Frenchy's in Burbank, and my stylist is Vanessa, but they're all pretty good. Most of the styles they do are more rockabilly than vintage, though, so if you want a true vintage style, bring good pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred