Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Half belt jacket stars on Bruce Willis in Surrogates

STW

Familiar Face
The movie is middling, but the jacket looks good, and will spark a run on half belts. Seal brown, short half belt in the vintage style with button cuffs. Heavily worn leather that has that fake-aged look you see on movie jackets.
surrogates_1.jpg

surrogates_photo_6.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
STW said:
...Seal brown, short half belt in the vintage style with button cuffs. Heavily worn leather that has that fake-aged look you see on movie jackets.

Well the movie may be middling but the jacket seems to be an authentic,
vintage example. The ageing looks like real ageing, to me.
I would be impressed and surprised if that is not an actual, vintage jacket

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This jacket came up on the FL last month too-
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41729

As usual I look on the internet for more information about something and
just like every other Google search, the cycle brings me back to the Lounge...
Many times, my own FL posts are the first Google search result I get-
I hope others find the same thing with their own posts- maybe not so surprising, I guess.
But it is funny and often frustrating, looking for information and finding your own footsteps.

I've seen the Willis jacket on the Nowak site, last time this subject came up but I don't see any text,
or any actual content, apart from that movie still and a whole lot of horrible jackets and '80s nostalgia.

Please, someone, convince me that it IS the work of the Nowak.
I still find it very difficult not to stand by my original judgement.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nonsense.
Too many are listening to too much movie jacket gossip hype
and someone may be lying.:)

Manufactured by:
California Sportswear Co., L.A.
Some time in the '40s.

And the reason the sleeves appear "long", is because
Mr. BW has disproportionatey short dwarf arms.

I think the movie jacket guy may be able to take credit for re-lining the jacket.

You guys really should listen to some common sense.:)

B
T

crismans

New in Town
Seb Lucas said:
Man... this is getting old. lol

I agree.

Look, Tony Nowak said he created the jacket, including details of how Willis likes longer sleeves and the like. Nowak had a good reputation in the industry. He wasn't known as a liar and there is no precedent (to my knowledge, nor anyone else's, apparently, since nothing has ever come up) that he has made claims that later were proven to be false. He had a reputation for honesty and integrity.

I saw pictures of the Surrogate's prototype (taken by a mutual friend and later posted on Filmjackets) months before the movie came out. My friend couldn't even mention the movie's title at that time, just that it was for a "Bruce Willis movie".

There is a basis here for the assertion that Tony made the jacket. What "proof" has been shown by those who hold the opposite view? And I'm sorry, "I know jackets and that's a vintage jacket" doesn't constitute proof. It's an opinion.

And the reason the sleeves appear "long", is because
Mr. BW has disproportionatey short dwarf arms.

And where did this information come from? Is there a site on Google that covers dwarf armed actors?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
lol

I'm content to accept Tony Nowak's word.

The issue for some here - and I can understand their view - is that the movie jacket's leather and aging appears extraordinarily real. Nothing Tony has made looks that way. The jackets we've seen posted made by Tony are exact pattern copies, yes, but they are new looking - even the distressed ones.

But there's also that fact that the design of the jacket is a common enough 1940's pattern - this bolsters the naysayers argument. In other words, it would be pretty easy for a vintage jacket to end up in a film with copies for stunts and extras.

Now I'm happy to accept that the studio aged a jacket that Tony Made for Bruce Willis.

I think both sides of this argument are yet to prove their point conclusively and some people have been arrogant and blustering in their arguments. This has resulted in one Surrogates thread shut down.

I actually think there's a further issue here. Have there ever been any leather jackets on film that were made new but "aged" to look convincingly vintage? The Indiana Jones jackets don't really convince - they tend to look aged with sandpaper, although the Temple of Doom jacket comes closest, perhaps - in some scenes.

Let's keep the debate open and respectful.

crismans

New in Town
In the Indy world, I always thought that the Raiders jacket looked "real world" aged, at least to a certain extent. The LC jacket, however looks completely artificial, with the CS jacket falling somewhere between the two.

I agree that the Temple jacket probably carries this off the best. Actually, it looks like it's falling apart in a lot of scenes. :)

Some may disagree, but the jacket Wolverine wears in X-Men I looks pretty naturally distressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy