Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I use a number of different folds for linen (suits) and puff with silk (almost always with tweeds or a blazer). The big question to me is not whether to wear them (Coco Chanel once said "never a button without a buttonhole" and I feel the same about pockets and pocket squares) but to make sure-- whether linen or silk--that they have rolled, hand-sewn edges. A small detail, but very telling, in my opinion. Cotton, which I rarely use, is harder to find with rolled edges and is more often machine stitched.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Glad I discovered this thread. I begain adding a pocket handkerchief to my daily routine about half a year ago. I used the videos on youtube to get started, trying the three point fold. I ended up using the casual puff look. Something about this accessory adds style in a much greater proportion than the thing itself.

Tristan

New in Town
For pocket squares, is there a traditional direction in which the folds should face?

For instance using a pocket stuffer as an example:
824780042_F06_DF.jpg

Should it be placed in your suit pocket as above (viewed from the from of your suit), with the frontmost triangle on your right; or in the opposite direction? Or is either way fine?

Tristan

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
The direction(s) depend on the type of fold that you use. For instance, with the four-fold (the "Sydney Opera House"), the creases of each fold look well when they face your left shoulder.

Thanks. So I understand correctly - if the pocket stuffer image above had all the folds the same as the two left folds (straight line on the left, diagonal on the right), the pocket stuffer would be placed in the same direction as image above? And this folded square below would be reversed?
SydneyOperahandkerchieffold009.jpg

johnny

New in Town
Tristan said:
Thanks. So I understand correctly - if the pocket stuffer image above had all the folds the same as the two left folds (straight line on the left, diagonal on the right), the pocket stuffer would be placed in the same direction as image above? And this folded square below would be reversed?
SydneyOperahandkerchieffold009.jpg

I think...
If the pictures you reference represent a pocket square as if you were seeing it in someone's pocket that is facing you, I believe Marc is saying the opposite of what you conclude. The creased side on the points, not the "open" side, should be closest to your shoulder. See posts #164 and #165 in this thread for an example with comments.

Tristan

New in Town
johnny said:
I think...
If the pictures you reference represent a pocket square as if you were seeing it in someone's pocket that is facing you, I believe Marc is saying the opposite of what you conclude. The creased side on the points, not the "open" side, should be closest to you shoulder. See posts #164 and #165 in this thread for an example with comments.
Thanks for the correction :)

Annixter

Practically Family
New-to-me Handkerchiefs

I just picked up two handkerchiefs from a local vintage clothing store. I like the way they are designed to allow for use in different suits; they were also cheap to buy. Thanks to this thread, I also picked up some cotton handkerchiefs from Nordstrom for those times that require the possible staining or destruction of a handkerchief. Any idea of the age? The brown one has a tag reading: "by Dumont, All silk, made in Italy, r.m. 14957. The one with blue and red has no tag and appears to be silk as well.

HC1.jpg

HC2.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Annixter said:
I just picked up two handkerchiefs from a local vintage clothing store. I like the way they are designed to allow for use in different suits; they were also cheap to buy. Thanks to this thread, I also picked up some cotton handkerchiefs from Nordstrom for those times that require the possible staining or destruction of a handkerchief. Any idea of the age? The brown one has a tag reading: "by Dumont, All silk, made in Italy, r.m. 14957. The one with blue and red has no tag and appears to be silk as well.
Did you post pictures?

johnny

New in Town
Well, I have no idea when they were made, but they sure are cool. I think it would be quite fun to see the various color combinations that would result from different folds.:D

Annixter

Practically Family
I found this pocket square in a Visalia, CA, Goodwill while I was down there yesterday. The colors vibrantly pop out, and the patterns are pretty intense. When it's folded into a pocket, the tips and patterns look like flames! (forgot to get a picture). I suppose I'll have to use this only on those party occasions.:D

100_1179.jpg

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
I've always liked the 'idea' of wearing a pocket square.Like hats I now i think have become 'the age' to get away with wearing one daily.
I own many. I keep on buying them.those that I buy in haste, I sell on ebay.
silk for show,linen for blow!!
I like the pocket stuff fold best.If im wearing a tux then the presidential fold is my first choice.
a breast pocket in a jacket/suit is historically designed to show off a pocket handkerchief.it serves no other purpose.
hey,what do I know?
I buy all my linen/cotton handkerchiefs from a handkerchief shop in Sorrento Italy every time i holiday there

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran