Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Birthday to the "Love Goddess". . .

Vanessa

One Too Many
bigcpic.jpg

. . .Ms. Rita Hayworth.

So, in celebrating the birthday of my favorite glamour gal, here's a few links:

Rita Hayworth: The Love Goddess

Life Magazine Pin-Up

Amazon.com: A Photographic Retrospective

Trivia Mania

Rita on TV in October

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Rita

I recall, when I was a child, I went to see Miss Sadie Thompson, which was a remake of W. Somerset Maughm's story Rain. This time around, Rita portrayed Sadie, in glowing technicolor and 3-D.

If you are wondering what a child was doing watching that movie it was because it was one of the first 3-D films and I wanted to see something that was in 3-D (thank god, it was not House of Wax, which would have scared the living tar out of me). I know I did not understand what Sadie Thompson was or what she had done but figured she had done something bad in the States and was therefore wanted by the law.

And Rita was so luminous, I could not take my eyes off her.

Maughm thought that, of all the famous women who portrayed Sadie Thompson, Rita fit the role the best. Interesting, because there was Joan Crawford to contend with, as well as the formadible Tallulah Bankhead and stage actresses, Marilyn Miller, Jeanne Eagles, ect. I think Rita won out because she was a natural love goddess, not one of those thinking actresses. (I had a drama professor who once told me my problem onstage was that I "think too much," so that can be a problem).

Rita was a true love goddess and a natural to play the famous Sadie Thompson role.

karol

Hondo

One Too Many
I'm sorry to miss this, I love Ms. Rita Hayworth, I've most (not all) of her films on DVD, I wish she were still here, very tragic end to her life, she is dearly missed as well as loved.
Happy Birthday Rita :cry:

Vanessa

One Too Many
Very tragic. . .to have her medical problems so misunderstood like that, just makes me :cry:

Hondo

One Too Many
So very true Vanessa, In my opinion she deserved better treatment, respect, those who thought she had a drinking problem, without knowing the truth. Also Veronica Lake, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m talking respect, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s an awful way to end one?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s life finding ones ashes, she should have been taken care of, at least I would have. In Hollywood once the beauty, the fame is gone, they cast you aside, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a part of Hollywood I can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t stand. Both Rita and Veronica (and many more) continue to live on, immortalized forever in our hearts.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
At least Rita had her daughter there to protect her, care for her, and let the public know what was going on with her.

There are lots of Hollywood tragedies out there: Rita, Veronica, Frances Farmer, Gail Russell, who was an alcoholic, and, of course, Monroe. A hard profession especially for actresses. Garbo was smart to leave the profession.

I am always glad when I find that an actress who is beautiful and charismatic turns out to have a side that will make her into a character actress later on. If you become that, you can work until you drop dead of advanced old age. If not, you are a wash-up after 40.

Love goddesses, unfortunately, are not usually women who make that transition.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner