Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy First Night of Channukkah

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tonight is the first night of Channukkah. Although it is not considered the most important Jewish holiday, it is a wonderful time of year. A time for family to get together, eat a traditional meal, light the menorah, give thanks for all the good things of a year past. It is not as big of a holiday as Christmas but it is still important to those who celebrate it. It lasts for eight days and nights, but in my family the first two nights are the most fun. This year, since my sister lives in NYC with her family and my parents live in RI we won't be getting together as originally planned. We will be getting together the day after Christmas and celebrating late. I will be meeting up with my parents for Sunday brunch and having a small celebration.

Well, I know there aren't too many loungers who celebrate Channukkah. But to those of you who do I just wanted to wish you all a happy and healthy holiday. I hope you have time to get together with family, eat lots of potato latkes with apple sauce, and open lots of presents. This is a fun holiday, especially for the young, and the young at heart. Enjoy all eight days and nights and the wonderful and fun traditions that come with celebrating Channukkah.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Right back at ya, Daisy!

Well, I've got my kids with me tonight, so we'll be lighting the menorah and having our traditional Friday-night fare - Chinese takeout! (You may laugh, but my parents were doing this with my sister and me as far back as I can remember in the early 60s! My mother worked right alongside my dad in the family biz, and there was never time for cooking the traditional chicken soup and roast chicken or brisket Shabbos dinner.)

As for gifts, I took the kids to BestBuy last night, and got my daughter a digital camera, and got several PC games for my son. And (a bit more appropriately to the Lounge) I also recently got each of them new winter coats in classic military styles - an N3-B parka for my son and a pea coat for my daughter.

They have now reached an age - 16 and almost-14 - where I decided to forget about getting them little tchackes for each night that they'll be with me (which has gotten increasingly harder to do satisfyingly as they've gotten older), and just get them a couple of major gifts apiece. And to forgo the whole here's-your-gift-after-lighting-the-candles aspect. Gifts when we got 'em, candles when the calendar says...

Since the divorce, they have also celeberated Xmas with their mother, but I really didn't want Chanukah (<-- note that I prefer one N and one K) to get lost in the process...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Channukkah

All the best to everyone.

Especially all Israeli Defense Force paras. Will never forget the Negev,
hated it while there, have always longed to return.:)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Good yon tov, everybody!

We're doing an everything-fried dinner tonight. I got my shopping done yesterday afternoon because I NEVER procrastinate, no nuh-uh not me!:D

That reminds me, while candles and stuff are all set up, I have no idea where my electric menorah is. We're very organized here.

Viola

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
woohoo.

Happy Chankuah!

Nothing has happened yet, all I know is the challah is here. The rest will be tonight. :D

Where is Chanuclaus?! With his blue hat and blue suit and star of david at the end of his cap. He only comes but once a year on his dreidel cycle.

Well, one can wish, can't they? :p

carebear

Viola said:
Good yon tov, everybody!

We're doing an everything-fried dinner tonight. I got my shopping done yesterday afternoon because I NEVER procrastinate, no nuh-uh not me!:D

That reminds me, while candles and stuff are all set up, I have no idea where my electric menorah is. We're very organized here.

Viola

Electric menorah? Doesn't that kind of contradict the whole oil-related meaning?

Although it probably looks better reflecting off the disco ball..... :p

Happy Chanukah!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
Electric menorah? Doesn't that kind of contradict the whole oil-related meaning?

Although it probably looks better reflecting off the disco ball..... :p

Happy Chanukah!

Personally I like the oil ones best but windows + cats + fire equal a 911 call. And that is NOT the holiday spirit. So the candles spend their time either on table or in the kitchen sink and the electric menorah gets the view of the neighborhood.

electricmenorahxaj1.jpg

Viola

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks to everyone for all of your good wishes.
Doctor Strange, your plans with your kids sound great. Those coats you got them sound wonderful.
I'm glad to hear that other people still take the time to celebrate this holiday. I didn't even know that some of you celebrated it.
Viola, eat some latkes for me. This is gonna be the first time in years that I'm not going to have them. They are a real pain to make from scratch. For those of you who like them, my brother-in-laws uncle owns a frozen food company that specializes in Kosher frozen foods. They are sold in most grocery stores but he makes the greatest frozen latkes. When they come out of the oven, they are better than homemade. And of course I can't remember the name right now, I'll have to call him and find out so I can let you know what it is. They are really good.
Well, I'm kind of sad that I'm not celebrating tonight. I will light the candles soon, for it's almost sundown. But, I won't see my mom, dad and granny until Sunday.
I hope you all enjoy the first night. Eat lots of good food and I hope you all get everything that you could possibly imagine.
Daisy

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Viola, eat some latkes for me. This is gonna be the first time in years that I'm not going to have them.

Heh, well my family DEFINITELY kept the tradition alive. Latkes were just the beginning, though; we fry EVERYTHING on Chanukah. I'll be surprised if the big gallon can of olive oil makes it out alive. We still have to get on the ball about making donuts, though. Cheating and buying Entennmans may be involved. lol

-Viola

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Just the other day, I was in my favorite Christian Store and found a box of driedels and Menorahs with candles. Hope I spelled them right. It was nice to see them in a Christian store. It is part of a Christians roots and we should embrace it. I plan to add them to my family's Christmas traditiions. I just got married and trying to build traditions for my new family.

Gray Ghost

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Gray Ghost said:
Just the other day, I was in my favorite Christian Store and found a box of driedels and Menorahs with candles. Gray Ghost

EVERYONE SPELLS SOMETHING WRONG lol

Chanukah, Dreidel, Latke, anything. Look it up in the dictionary if you think you've spelt something wrong. :p

Canadave

One Too Many
latke-fest

Mmmmm, latkes. We missed our annual Chanukah party this year too. My mother is ill and it's been postponed. We make latkes from scratch too, and they ARE a hassle, but worth it. We hand-grate as well, no food processors for us. (Ironically, my non-Jewish wife does all the grating. I think it's a source of pride for her.:) )

We fry for about 2 hours, then change and take a shower. We usually work out the next day, and the grease is still coming out of our pores. ;) Sounds appetizing, eh non-Jews? lol

Anyway, hope everyone had a great one!

David

PS Oh yeah, apple sauce on latkes is fine, but WHAT ABOUT THE SOUR CREAM???

Viola

Call Me a Cab
happyfilmluvguy said:
EVERYONE SPELLS SOMETHING WRONG lol

Chanukah, Dreidel, Latke, anything. Look it up in the dictionary if you think you've spelt something wrong. :p

Chanukah, Hanukah, Hannukah, Channukah. Chet Nun Vav Kaf. Unless you spell it wrong in the Hebrew, you're aiight.lol

Is it wrong that if I ever become insanely wealthy, I shall pay Willie Nelson to do a recording of "Maoz Tsur"? I just want one nice Chanukah CD without ADAM SANDLER on it.

Rock of ages, let our song
Praise Your saving power;
You, amid the raging foes,
Were our sheltering tower.
Furious they assailed us,
But Your arm availed us,
And Your word,
Broke their sword,
When our own strength failed us.

-Josie

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I meant to post about this earlier but forgot until now.

I live in a condo where the 80+ unit building is broken into smaller sub-sections of 6 units apiece. I've gotten to know the 5 families in my section fairly well and it's nice to have a sub-community among the larger one.

Anyway, on 12/15 when I came home and opened the main door to the building I was nearly knocked back by the most mouthwatering oily smell. It took me a minute before I remembered all 5 of the other families are Jewish and it was the first night of Chanukah. Turns out all of them were making latkes simultaneously--the hallway smelled delicious for days!

When I joked with a couple of my neighbors about wangling an invitation to one of their houses next year they were really puzzled; they assumed I was Jewish because I have a Mezuzah on my front door frame. I told them it was left by the previous owner and I didn't have the heart to take it down. After I nervously confirmed with them that this wasn't somehow disrespectful we all had a chuckle about assumptions.

I wasn't raised in any church but my ancestors were Christian and I'm sad to say I sometimes fall into the habit of assuming others are of the same background despite my best efforts not to do so. It was interesting to be on the other end of that and also eye opening to be the one who wasn't celebrating when everyone else was.

Difficult to express what I mean in writing--my takeaway was that it good, thought provoking experience all around. And that I'm lucky to have such good neighbors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80