Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy First Night of Channukkah

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, yum, you all are making me crave latkes. I haven't had ones made from scratch in a while, well since my sister married a guy's who's family's in the latke business!!
Yes, they are very good with sour cream. I think I'm gonna have to make some tomorrow. But it's hard to cook for just one. Hem won't eat them.

Imoldfashioned, did your neighbors give you a nosh?? Or are you gonna have to wait until next year? What part of Boston do you live in, by the way. I keep meaning to ask you, since we are neighbors!!!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
My girlfriend's stepmother is Jewish, and she had us over to her aprtment for latkes last week. First time I ever tried one. Gotta say, they were pretty damned good! Really truly damned good.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Imoldfashioned, did your neighbors give you a nosh?? Or are you gonna have to wait until next year? What part of Boston do you live in, by the way. I keep meaning to ask you, since we are neighbors!!!

Alas, the conversation didn't take place until several days later so none for me, but I'm set for next year!

Another interesting conversation; I had a big birthday party for a friend on 12/16 and several of the neighbors stopped by, one of whom grew up in the Soviet Union. She told me that for some reason Christmas trees weren't thought of as religious there and so her family always had one when she was growing up even though they were Jewish. She wanted to get one during her first December with her husband but her American born mother-in-law was aghast at the idea so she didn't. Another wrinkle in the what is religious/what is cultural issue.

I live in JP, quite close to the Centre Street Cafe, if that landmark means anything to you. It's nice to be by the Pond and the commute downtown is a snap. For 10 years I lived in Cambridge in the Huron Village neighborhood near Fresh Pond and Harvard but by the time I was in a posititon to buy something I'd been priced out. In between those places I was in Newburyport on the North Shore for a couple years. Gorgeous town and I was spoiled to be 10 minutes from the beach but the commute was awful. After the car I was carpooling in was totaled I decided to move back to the city.

Where are you? Those photos of Hemingway Jones look like they might be Back Bay, maybe Kenmore Squareish?

Daisy Buchanan

I totally know what you mean by being priced out. When I decided to buy I looked in both Brookline and Cambridge, and couldn't believe the prices. I found a great place in Allston/Brighton. I am on the corner of Comm Ave. about half a mile from Harvard Ave. The nice thing is, if I walk in the opposite direction of Comm Ave. I'm in Coolidge Corner. So, I'm not far from JP. I used to go over there all the time when I had a dog. I had no idea we were practically neighbors.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Neat Daisy! There's some nice housing stock in Allston/Brighton, I looked in that area too.

I distinctly remember looking at the prices of condos in Cambridge in 1991/92 when I first moved to Boston and huffily saying to a friend "$160,000 for a condo! They're crazy! You could buy a house for that!" Hah! If only I'd had second sight then (and the money to buy something!).

Daisy Buchanan

imoldfashioned said:
Neat Daisy! There's some nice housing stock in Allston/Brighton, I looked in that area too.

I distinctly remember looking at the prices of condos in Cambridge in 1991/92 when I first moved to Boston and huffily saying to a friend "$160,000 for a condo! They're crazy! You could buy a house for that!" Hah! If only I'd had second sight then (and the money to buy something!).
I know exactly what you mean! I looked at a 2 bedroom 3 bath townhouse in Brighton about 6 years ago, and my dad was telling me that $200,000 was way too much and that the market was sure to drop!! If only I had known, those very same condos are now going for over $500,000!!! I really lucked out, my condo was really under-valued when I bought it. I managed to get a 2 bedroom 3 bath 2 story condo with a balcony on the first floor and a huge roof deck off of the master bedroom. That's where the pictures of Tim were taken. The girl we bought it from was re-locating to Atlanta for work. She accepted an offer, and it ended up falling through, so she was desperate to sell. So, I had my Dad do the bidding for me. He really low balled the offer, and accepted. I really couldn't believe it. It was still over my budget, but turned out to be worth it. I just had the place appraised so I could refinance, and was very happy for the new appraisal showed a pretty big increase in value. The only thing I miss is that I live in a relatively new building, built in 1988. I really love the old Boston buildings with the built in's and old crown moldings. One day, I'll have that antique house with that old Boston charm. I'll have to have you over for some latkes!! Hem would be shocked if I actually used the stove! I bought new appliances when we moved in, I wouldn't want to use them, they would get dirty!!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic