Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Harassed Tweed" - Documentary

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars

BoDiddly

New in Town
Thank you for the link. Wow. My admiration of tweed continues to rise.

I expect this is all old news for those you on the other side of the pond - but I've always seen tweed as something that clothing manufacturers need to treat like micro-breweries. First off - understand that the big clothing guys (like the big beer guys) don't get it - they simply do not understand why the product is desired. Second off - don't mess with it. Don't try to turn production into a mass-produced bland beer, or very plain looking tweed. And thirdly, find a way to keep the niche, it will always be there, but maintain the high quality, and success will follow (maybe not always, but in 1985 if you wanted anything other than crappy American beer throughout the U.S., you were really stuck with few choices. We now have most U.S. supermarkets sporting a section called 'micro-brew' beer. I tend to think of it as a label that says "actual beer", vs. "complete garbage". **)

How to make it work - well, at least Haggas proved the opposite, that if you take a successful micro-brewery and change the recipe so it turns out Budweiser, the audience of the micro brew is lost. ('cept instead of beer he did it with Harris tweed - and fails.)

Here's to hoping the future of tweed is bright, and available throughout the world in a little section of the clothing store 'micro-labels'. Cheers.

**Note that Guinness, Harp and Bass are usually in the micro-brew section.

Last edited:

Ny Björn

New in Town
-Thank you indeed!
I traveled the Western Isles some 10 years ago, but alas, due to lack of space I was unable to bring any tweed with me back.

/Ny Björn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy