Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harbingers of Spring

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Feeders for hummingbirds have to be kept so clean as compared to regular seed-feeders that I'm afraid to have one (a dirty one can hurt the birds) so I just get flowers they like and they can get their nectar the old-fashioned way.

We always get more goldfinches and wrens than hummingbirds, though. Goldfinches savage the zinnias and daisies, but they're so cute I don't care.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I needed to look at this thread today.

When the four-foot-high snow berms along your street are turning dark brown, it's a harbinger of spring.

When you make your first trip to the dump with all the cardboard boxes that have accumulated on the porch over the winter, it's a harbinger of spring.

When you constantly feel like you're about to pass out from exhaustion because you still haven't recovered from daylight savings time, it's a harbinger of spring.

When you've finally managed to chip a path thru the backyard snow and ice to reach the clothesline and bring in that lonely pair of underpants that's been hanging there since November, it's a harbinger of spring.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I can not believe how quickly our big snow has melted! On the bad side, we had a lot of lakes where intersections normally are. And, as I have said before, we have two seasons, winter and road construction. This is going to be really bad this year with not only pot holes, but, a lot of our roads are literately crumbling. I am thinking of buying an off road capable motorcycle for our roads!

Springtime?

texasbluebonnets2.jpg

On a cold winter night, 'neath the silvery moon
I wished on a star, had a dream about you
Dry the tears from your eyes, I'll be comin' home soon
'Neath the wide open skies, where the bluebonnets bloom

Like a blanket spreadin' out as far as I can see
When those flowers line the road, you can look for me
I'll be hangin' round your back door, like an old familiar tune
I'll be there when the bluebonnets bloom

- Robert Earl Keen

Nobert

Practically Family
Temperature probably in the 40's at 6 p.m. I'm about to try and find out if the one-mile bike trip down to the convenience store is as much of a physical onus now that I've quit smoking. Wish me luck.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Grass is finally getting green here in Nebraska and the trees are blooming. Thank goodness. It was a looooong winter.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
My wife says that the spring peepers are singing, but I can no longer hear them due to deafness. I used to enjoy hearing them. I can see the grass starting to get a bit green which means I will soon have to get that old mower out and begin the weekly chore of push mowing my acre lot. I had the windows open today and the air smelled so fresh and clean. It helped to blow the stale scents of winter out of the house (there is no way that my pipe smoking had anything to do with those stale scents... :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24