Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HARRIS TWEED Gray Herringbone Scottish Wool Country Hacking Jacket

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Bought this to further my English Country Academic look - thoughts? Made by kilgore Trout
s-l1600.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I love tweed and have 3 on the same theme but to be honest this kind of jacket was also the uniform of police detectives, minor public officials and high school maths teachers in the 1970-80's. Dirty Harry even wore one like this in the eponymous film. I wouldn't instantly associate one of these with a scholarly dissertation on Middlemarch, myself.

Dirty Harry.jpg

Last edited:
Bought this to further my English Country Academic look - thoughts? Made by kilgore Trout
View attachment 90174

Herringbone Tweed, leather buttons, patch pockets, leather elbow patches, a medium wide lapel...you're 3/4 of the way there. I would have looked for a hacking jacket complete with ticket pocket and a leather storm tab on the collar. Or perhaps a Northfolk jacket with the pleated back for ease of swinging a shotgun. Don't get me wrong, your jacket is fine and I have something almost identical, but if you are looking the capture the look of the Brithish country gentleman there are other details to consider. Still, the current country dress is not nearly as uniform as it was in the past. Those types resist change, but they can't stop it completely.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
And I appreciate your comments about authenticity. Like I said I am trying for a sorta English country look but not sweating exactly the details. I tend to think ticket pockets look unbalanced but they are authentic.

Kilgore Trout, besides being Kurt Vonnegut, is a tailor in Cleveland. Surprised they can use the name though

http://kilgoretrout.com/

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You can also wear it to Dr Who cosplay if all else fails. :p

Nothing wrong with it as a country style jacket. Tweed is such a universal fabric it can be pretty much everything for a suburban hipster to a grizzled landowner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy