Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harris Tweed Hacking Jacket/Sports Coat needs new home!

Speedbird

A-List Customer
A very British Harris Tweed Jacket..... three button, single vent, notch lapel... old but not quite sure how old but the 6 digit number is clearly legible and so it could be established when it was woven. It is certainly the older Harris Tweed Association, as opposed to Authority. There are no other labels except a tiny one in the inside pocket which reads "H166". It was bought in Oxford in 1988 from a vintage seller - I like to think some crusty old Don owned it originally.

It is about a 42R and full weight hairy, proper Harris Tweed. It just reeks of moorland and Horse and Hound.

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

This shows the houndstooth pattern colouration and tweedy hairiness.....

IMG_2088.jpg

Chocolate brown lining ... it has got some texture and weave, soft to touch, unknown fabric..... I could probably guess but you will all know better than me.

IMG_2091.jpg

A close up of the label ....

IMG_2092.jpg

Now the bad news ... I was going to describe it as good condition... but then I discovered it has been lunch for a moth or two around the right sleeve cuff with three small-ish nibbles and one slightly bigger one... :mad:

IMG_2095.jpg

There is a little pilling and a small area of wear in the lining exagerrated in this photo.....

IMG_2097.jpg

It smells of real ale, pipe smoke, log fires, wet labradors, 12 bore shotgun shells, horses and would obviously benefit from a clean and some repair - I would think someone handy with a needle could probably do a near invisible repair job but let me know if I am dreaming. Thinking about it now, it may not be a moth nibble, it might be a 17h Hunter bite! the miserable, cantakerous old git!

On balance, I have adjusted my expectations of what this might be worth... I would like £30 please (plus p&p and paypal fee).

Is that reasonable? Let me know if you think not. I know it isn't an $8 miracle like Hemmingway's - but I doubt they come up very often!

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Lots of views ... no comments ... I am willing to negotiate and/or learn if you guys think I have got it wrong here. Let me know what you think because I am an amateur enthusiast and not a vendor. If I have judged wrong let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner