Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harris Tweed overcoat 48 inch chest.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
$_12.JPG

The vendor says this is from the 1950s. The labels and style make me think its somewhat earlier.

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1950s-Harris-Tweed-Coat-Jacket-Handwoven-Pure-Wool-Long-Coat-/131126409413?pt=UK_Men_s_Vintage_Coats_Jackets&hash=item1e87be38c5

GHT

I'll Lock Up
So disappointed, I really wanted this. Contacted the vendor, only to discover that it is actually a 38" chest measurement. Rats!

Nobert

Practically Family
Two Types;1764985The vendor says this is from the 1950s. The labels and style make me think its somewhat earlier. [/QUOTE said:
No expert, but I would suspect you're right. I have several Harris Tweed jackets/coats from the 50s or earlier, and they all feature the orb logo on the "Harris Tweed" label.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Sold for £116 - which makes me think this is certainly older than 1950s. I can't imagine anyone would pay that price for a 1950s overcoat.

I was in two minds about this one. it didn't sell the first time it was listed.

Lapels and buttons suggest early. Harris Tweed label - hard to tell. Until the mid-50s there were several attempts to sell as Harris Tweed stuff not covered by the Orb label. But it looks early too.

The design of the Lewis's Men's Shop label strikes me as 1950s or newer though.

Nobert

Practically Family
The design of the Lewis's Men's Shop label strikes me as 1950s or newer though.

I wonder. I don't have anything like the expertise is clothing as you and many others here do, but I do know something about the history of type and design, and I'm often surprised at how modern clothiers' labels can be, for their period. I recently bought an overcoat with a '36 union label, but looking at the manufacturer's label, I would have put it at first guess to be 60s at the earliest.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
very tricky to date as that style of un-waisted coat would have been available from the mid 20s to the mid 50s without virtually any change.
the Harris Tweed label could also be anywhere within that timeline.

Yes. The challenges to the "non-Orb" "Harris Tweed" companies came to a head in late 1958 with the Independent Harris Tweed Producers Limited. The resultant parliamentary questions etc. finally established the unchallenged authority of The Harris Tweed Authority to issue Harris Tweed authenticity marks.

So, those labels are more common before the middle 30s when the first Orb label came in, but they are seen throughout the period as you say.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
very tricky to date as that style of un-waisted coat would have been available from the mid 20s to the mid 50s without virtually any change.
the Harris Tweed label could also be anywhere within that timeline.

I thought it was earlier than 1950s on the grounds that most fifties overcoats that i see tend not to have peak lapels. There also seems to be a tendency towards raglan sleeves in the fifties.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
there's something very late 40s CC41-ish (a bit hammer and tongs / utilitarian) about the way the 38R label looks and has been stitched in.
if i had to bet i'd go for that date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic