Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harris Tweed sportcoat:dating??

moustache

Practically Family
I received this slightly used Harris Tweed jacket from eprey for the pittance of $4. In fact the shipping costs more than the jacket.
I will show it off tomorrow at work i think.

Is there a way of dating the jackets??Maybe with the serial number??

JD

HT21-s.jpg

The ever present label!!

HT31-s.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not that I know anything about Harris Tweed...

... but that serial number has to refer to something and it's proabably the loom.

However, judging by the lapel and the lable, I would say it is very contemporary. It is identical to the ones I have bought in the last three years.

As a matter of fact, I have that jacket! There's pictures of me in it around here somewhere.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
:) Based on the the collar stance; the lapels' width; the gorge; the setting of the shoulders; the width of the pocket flaps; and the number and placement of the front panel darts. Also, over the past 20 years I've seen and handled literally thousands of suits and sportcoats from all eras, and have learned to date them fairly accurately.

aVenir Fashions

New in Town
Hello, this is something I can answer. The 'serial number' on the Harris Tweed labels identifies the crofter that wove the cloth. All numbers are associated with a person/organization that makes the fabric for HT. The number can only give you the earliest time period of the article, not the exact date.

The majority of newer HT fabrics are woven for one particular company that owns over 95% of the industry

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
:) Based on the the collar stance; the lapels' width; the gorge; the setting of the shoulders; the width of the pocket flaps; and the number and placement of the front panel darts. Also, over the past 20 years I've seen and handled literally thousands of suits and sportcoats from all eras, and have learned to date them fairly accurately.

Excellent! That's what I was looking for.;)

Viviene

Vendor
JD,

You can contact The Harris Tweed Authority by email through their website. They can tell you approximately when that weave was loomed and who it was loomed for. I have several jackets I picked up for my shop and I contacted them to find out just that. They were extremely helpful. You will need to provide that registration number. :) I posted this prior to reading the post above. Sorry about that but they were very, very helpful!

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks you!

Viviene said:
JD,

You can contact The Harris Tweed Authority by email through their website. They can tell you approximately when that weave was loomed and who it was loomed for. I have several jackets I picked up for my shop and I contacted them to find out just that. They were extremely helpful. You will need to provide that registration number. :) I posted this prior to reading the post above. Sorry about that but they were very, very helpful!

Thanks so much to all of you for your help.I will most certainly try the above noted suggestions!!

Best regards,

JD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Top jacket looks fairly recent to me, early '80's, the tweed material itself may well be older, but that pattern is very 80's to my eye.

The brown one underneath is 1960's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21