Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"HARVEY" remake is in the works

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I can honestly say I cried when I first read about this on a gossip website a couple of months ago. Breaks my heart. If Jimmy Stewart is in it, you don't remake it! Even when they remade "Harvey" the last time, Jimmy Stewart was STILL Elwood P. Dowd.

I don't know if I'll be refusing to see it on principle or only viewing it to see how awful it is...

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
There's talk about remaking IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

Why would you even bring that up? My whole day is ruined :(

(just kidding of course :p )

That might send me over the edge in the sense of "going postal," though. I hate it when people mess with classics. It's a Wonderful Life should certainly not be messed with.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
GoldenEraFan said:
Why must movies be remade? There are so many books from the golden era and prior that haven't been made into movies. What ever happend to origionality?

Movies should not be remade. I hate remakes.

so...

I hate remakes = I dont go to the movies anymore.

It's simple mathematics for me. :)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
There's talk about remaking IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Never mind "It's a Wonderful Life"... soon they will come up with a remake of "The Wizard of Oz" and they will have to make it politically correct too, can you imagine?.... heavens have mercy! lol

Feraud

Bartender
GoldenEraFan said:
Why must movies be remade? There are so many books from the golden era and prior that haven't been made into movies. What ever happend to origionality?
The complaint about a lack of originality in Hollywood (which I generally share, btw) should go back to the beginnings of Hollywood itself. There have been remakes practically from the beginning of film.

HadleyH said:
Never mind "It's a Wonderful Life"... soon they will come up with a remake of "The Wizard of Oz" and they will have to make it politically correct too, can you imagine?.... heavens have mercy! lol
The Wizard of Oz people know and love is a remake! Possibly the third version I think..
What stands out to me about the 1925 version is Oliver Hardy as a farmhand.

My objection to Will Smith in a Harvey remake is the fact that he is a generally terrible actor.

While we are on the subject of Will Smith, Steven Spielberg and remakes, let me throw this travesty into the mix.
Spielberg is supposedly going to also remake the fantastic Chan Wook Park film Oldboy! Why this amazing and recent film needs to be remade is beyond comprehension. Spielberg is the devil. :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never seen the first won't see the remake!

HARVEY-SPIELBERG.png

Panache

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier...The question is said:
Marc,

I read the title of your thread and my instant response was "WHY?" as well.

I understand remakes of movies where a director goes back to the source material of a project to offer their interpretations. I believe that Bogart's the Maltese Falcon was not the first filmed version of the book.

However there are works where the portrayal of the story is so definitive that it is pointless to attempt another film version.

"Harvey" a most marvelous play is one of them.

Cheers

Jamie

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
The Wizard of Oz people know and love is a remake! Possibly the third version I think..

Yes, i know what you are saying, but at least in the Golden Age remakes were made with some honesty and dignity. Nowadays remakes are frankly grotesque.... i mean ... hundreds of examples can be given but just one: "The Women" remake, mention above ....:eek: Feraud please!!!! lol lol

I wonder why they dont just go ahead in Hollywood and say that what they are doing are caricatures of the originals????

With that, I dont have a problem! [huh] :p ;)

Panache

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
Yes, i know what you are saying, but at least in the Golden Age remakes were made with some honesty and dignity. Nowadays remakes are frankly grotesque.... i mean ... hundreds of examples can be given but just one: "The Women" remake, mention above ....:eek: Feraud please!!!! lol lol

I wonder why they dont just go ahead in Hollywood and say that what they are doing are caricatures of the originals????

With that, I dont have a problem! [huh] :p ;)

How about comparing Robert Wise's 1961 "The Haunting" with the newer version? :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic