Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone been tempted to buy...

carldelo

One Too Many
Those are marketed as being similar to the hats Depp wears - I don't think they're claiming to be the actual hat he owns. For the (high) price, you might as well kick in the extra dough and get a fully custom lid - I mean, as long as you're wishing, why not wish for a VS made just for you?

PS having said all that, the caribou gray hat you refer to is a really slick lid. It's very similar to the Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone (about 1/4 the price BTW)

The Lark

One of the Regulars
I think half the fun in wearing a rare and classy piece of clothing can come from the fact it is/was worn by a screen icon like Bogart, Sinatra or Harrison Ford (as Indiana Jones).

Funnily enough, I found an Indiana Jones hat the other day (that was the brand name) and as nice as it was, it looked very different from the film versions. It was good quality but the crown shape was all wrong. Funny how widely these reproductions can distort from the original.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I have never been tempted to buy a Johnny Depp look alike hat. What can I say?[huh]

The Lark said:
I think half the fun in wearing a rare and classy piece of clothing can come from the fact it is/was worn by a screen icon like Bogart, Sinatra or Harrison Ford (as Indiana Jones).

I've never even thought about it like that before. I suppose being used to wearing hats for much of your life without the film references "robs" you of this feeling.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Interesting topic, but those are too pricey for me. Also it wouldn't be the same and not just because he's Johnny Depp and I most certainly am not. His hats are truly vintage and have that worn in look coupled with the mellow, fabric-like felt of yesteryear. Those modern reproductions are too perfect and stiff for my taste.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
At those prices, I'm not tempted. They've got some good-looking hats there, but $149 for a wool felt?!? It's not hard to find better deals for that kind of money. Besides, I have to admit that I'm also leery of companies that market things using phrases like "this product ' is comparable in style and design to the one' seen . . . " The phrasing tells me that it's not exactly the same product. If it were, and if they had permission to say "this is the hat worn by Johnny Depp," they'd plaster that all over their site.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scottyrocks said:
I dont know. It says the hat is wool felt. And it's $129?? I dont think so.

Exactly. Overpriced for what you get IMHO. I thought someone had already determined Depp wears an old Borsalino. And as another poster mentioned - it just says it's a hat of the style Depp wears. It's definitely not the maker of hats he wears.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This fella sells on eBay & his prices are the high side of outrageous! His auctions always feature multiple photos of Depp (or Tom Laughlin or whomever sport(ed) the hat he is hawking).
I know the cost of doing business is appreciably higher in Canada, but honestly.
It appears as though Magill Hats in Montreal actually manufactures his hats and although I have only handled a Magill once I was quite underwhelmed. The Magills I saw were also more than a bit cheaper than what he is asking. So unless he is getting a semi-custom grade of finishing (e.g.- better felts, sweats & ribbon work) than what I saw on Magills, he is getting away with highway robbery.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Doin' the Depp

Save your money and practice doing the Johnny Depp patented bash. That way you can get any vintage hat with a wide brim and a high crown to look like his. The crucial thing (I've now done this a couple of times) is to get the front profile of the crown right: almost rectangular when looking at it straight on, with a deep, high pinch. Then curl up one side of the front of the brim, so that the transition from it to the curled-down half is a bit like what you'd get on a normal fedora, on the side, when it goes from the curled-up rear to the snapped-down front. (Not sure if that last bit was very clear.)

If you *really* want the look, get a hat that's way too big for your -- this I don't recommend.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I guess those reproductions aren't worth it.

I'd like to experiment with beating my own hat from scratch now, but I think it would be a long term project.

I'm not even sure where you get hold of open top hats that you shape yourself. Maybe I'll check the hat store again sometime.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
The Lark said:
. . . . I'm not even sure where you get hold of open top hats that you shape yourself. Maybe I'll check the hat store again sometime.
I believe the Akubra Campdraft is sold open crown. The practice hat doesn't have to start open crown, though.

carldelo

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
I believe the Akubra Campdraft is sold open crown. The practice hat doesn't have to start open crown, though.

Yes, by all means, starting off with a Campdraft is a great idea. It has the wide bound brim and felt that's robust enough to take multiple bashing in stride. Plus you (the OP) are already in Oz, so it will be a great value. It's got to be one of the top 3 hats on the Lounge. It even has a thin ribbon, which you can cover up with wider ribbons to experiment with different looks as you go along. To quote a certain brunette with a dog: "I had everything I was looking for right here in my own back yard all the time!"

flipper

New in Town
I could care less what Johnny Depp, Kidd Rock or any one else wears or thinks is in vogue today. These hats were cool 2 or 3 decades before these cats were even born! On the other hand, Bogart, Joseph Cotten and others from the era...were there!! These icons from "the day" are what made these styles cool then and now, not Johnny Depp.
Mark

Visigoth

A-List Customer
This is very true, but Depp has in fact reinvented the fedora. I don't think I've ever seen anyone from the Golden Age wear one bashed like that.

billyspew

One Too Many
Visigoth said:
This is very true, but Depp has in fact reinvented the fedora. I don't think I've ever seen anyone from the Golden Age wear one bashed like that.

Oh I don't know the mob sure liked to wear them differently...

capone.jpg

Dewhurst

Practically Family
flipper said:
I could care less what Johnny Depp...

So, there is room to care less, it seems? I couldn't care less, personally. I just couldn't, can't, and won't.;)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Depps hats are vintage and only similar to those sold on that site. He has also been wearing them a lot longer that the current fad and is probably annoyed to be included in that group of poseurs (just as I often am). And I don't understand your point Flipper, does that mean I too don't have any business wearing these hats because I wasn't "there"?

flipper

New in Town
My point J.M.S. is, I'de like to think that most of the folks here at The Lounge have a deep appreciation for the Golden Era, myself included. Most are probably not scouring the web looking for the latest fashion trends according to Mr. Depp. I like Johnny Depp..the man is cool...very cool...but he didn't invent it. In my opinion, cool was invented a long time ago in a Tinseltown much different than the one we know today.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925