Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Target gone too far?

HistWardrobe

Vendor
PR nightmare?

Yikes! I'd hate to be in the PR department of Target when the inevitable happens and some ghetto kid gets shot right in the bullseye on his shirt.

Talk about crisis management PR. No thanks. What on earth were their marketing people thinking?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Webster says:
Main Entry: cou¬?ture
Pronunciation: k?º-'tur, -'t[UE]r
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Old French cousture sewing, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin consutura, from Latin consutus, past participle of consuere to sew together, from com- + suere to sew -- more at SEW
1 : the business of designing, making, and selling fashionable custom-made women's clothing
2 : the designers and establishments engaged in couture
3 : the clothes created by couture

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Lauren Henline said:
Webster says:
Main Entry: cou¬?ture
Pronunciation: k?º-'tur, -'t[UE]r
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Old French cousture sewing, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin consutura, from Latin consutus, past participle of consuere to sew together, from com- + suere to sew -- more at SEW
1 : the business of designing, making, and selling fashionable custom-made women's clothing
2 : the designers and establishments engaged in couture
3 : the clothes created by couture

Touche

Main Entry: tou¬?ch?©
Pronunciation: t?º-'shA
Function: interjection
Etymology: French, from past participle of toucher to touch, from Old French tuchier
-- used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or the success or appropriateness of an argument, an accusation, or a witty point

Rosie

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
We'll have to start pronouncing "Target" in a Frenchy, couture-like way.

"Tar-jay", anyone? lol

Actually, some people do this, in a funny way. It's an "urban" joke I guess. If one has bought something from Target and someone compliments you on it, people usually respond in a hoity toity voice "Tar-jay dahling, Tar-jay".

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Why pay more ...

Why pay more for a mediocre quality product? I search out quality clothes that don't have any advertising. If they would pay me or at least give me a break on the price for advertising for them, then I might wear their logo. But they want me to pay for the privilege of advertising for them. No thanks.

A friend, who used to be in the garment manufacturing business in Greenville South Carolina, said the only difference in the shirts with the alligator or polo pony and many other brands is the logo. Literally, they could be from the same run without the embroidery.

I am all for stores like Lands End and Target which don't have logos. I hope the bulls-eye logo doesn't catch on.

Robert

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
The fleur de lis effect on the one jacket is really distracting - cards, anyone?:p

As for Louis Vuitton. There's a reason for their stuff to be so expensive. It's quality work. You don't buy it for the status, you buy it for the workmanship. It's the same thing as when you buy Church's shoes, or an Hermes tie. You're paying for the quality, not the label.

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
wackyvorlon said:
... There's a reason for their stuff to be so expensive. It's quality work. You don't buy it for the status, you buy it for the workmanship. It's the same thing as when you buy Church's shoes, or an Hermes tie. You're paying for the quality, not the label.

They may have originally gotten their reputation by producing a quality product, but at some point, status takes over. That is when I get turned off.

Robert

wackyvorlon said:
As for Louis Vuitton. There's a reason for their stuff to be so expensive. It's quality work. You don't buy it for the status, you buy it for the workmanship. It's the same thing as when you buy Church's shoes, or an Hermes tie. You're paying for the quality, not the label.

Da problem, of course, with Louis Vuitton is that most of the stuff they sell, and you see on the streets (with LV plastered all over it) is not well made. It is shoddily constructed of very poor materials - i have investigated this. They have gone the way of Kelley bags - low market. To make it cheap enough to get a brand image so the wannabes will buy it, the company has to cut costs.

Quite frankly, many people do buy LV or Church's shoes for the status. Spending power is the only way many people have to assert themselves in this world. If it's shoddily made, all the better: It simply shows that one can afford to waste ones money on crappy merchandise (not that they can - it's all on credit which they'll never repay) that is going to fall apart.

As for Hermes ties. I've no idea why so many people waste their money. they are no better constructed than many cheaper ties, and their selection of patterns is truly hideous. Gaudy. Over the top. Flashy. The epitome of bling for rich old folks.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic