Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hasidic Jews and the Fedora

Alon

One of the Regulars
Jews living in Eastern Europe "adopted" the fashion of the people among whom they lived. I put adopted in quotation marks because it isn't as if the Jews had their own material culture before arriving in Eastern Europe which they then shed. The current Hassidic garb dates to the late 18th or early 19th century, when the black caftan and fur hat became the standard. The hat had many different regional variations. When Hassidic Jews began immigrating to the United States some, particularly the Chabad-Lubavitch brand of Hasidism, adopted the local custom of wearing fedoras instead of the fur shtreiml.

Maguire

Practically Family
Alon said:
Jews living in Eastern Europe "adopted" the fashion of the people among whom they lived. I put adopted in quotation marks because it isn't as if the Jews had their own material culture before arriving in Eastern Europe which they then shed. The current Hassidic garb dates to the late 18th or early 19th century, when the black caftan and fur hat became the standard. The hat had many different regional variations. When Hassidic Jews began immigrating to the United States some, particularly the Chabad-Lubavitch brand of Hasidism, adopted the local custom of wearing fedoras instead of the fur shtreiml.
Thats kind of funny considering the fact that today they stick out like a sore thumb here in NYC, despite the fact that this was an attempt to adapt the clothing style of their neighbors. well better to adapt fashion in 1900 than 2008.

vintage68

Practically Family
Alon said:

Thanks. Ain't it great that we have The Fedora Lounge as a resource?!!!

I was positive I could post the question and someone here would have the answer.

Gotta love the FL.

Interesting that the outfit has become a standardized uniform.

Magus

Practically Family
In the Old Testament, the scripture that Jewish believers use as the main text of their faith, covering your head is a sign of respect for God. Thus, the fedora becomes part of worship rather than just a fashion choice.

Maguire

Practically Family
Magus said:
In the Old Testament, the scripture that Jewish believers use as the main text of their faith, covering your head is a sign of respect for God. Thus, the fedora becomes part of worship rather than just a fashion choice.

Well that is not strictly jewish- it was always considered a sign of modesty and decency to wear a hat, Christians did it and Muslims did it too. not specifically the fedora, obviously.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Magus said:
In the Old Testament, the scripture that Jewish believers use as the main text of their faith

The Talmud is not regarded as holy as the Bible, but it is much more the main text of Judaism, if there's any. An often overlooked thing is that Orthodox Jews are not fundamentalists, but have always commented, interpreted and discussed the "Old Testament", as opposed to modern Christian fundamentalists and some Reform Jews. (This is not to polemize, it's just a different approach.)

Concerning the issue at hand: covering one's head is explicitly not based on the Bible, but is first mentioned in a later talmudic source, rather passim in an anectode ("soandso wouldn't walk four cubits without covering his head"). Also, until today, it doesn't have the status of a law (mitzva) but of a mere custom, and in fact local habits differ in this.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Never met Shaul-Ike but...

I am sure he is a mench! Please post more often because your intelligence both pleases and impresses me.

analogist

vintage68

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Also, until today, it doesn't have the status of a law (mitzva) but of a mere custom, and in fact local habits differ in this.

Interesting. So why would the Hasidim always wear black hats and always fedoras? Purely out of custom at this point?

vintage68

Practically Family
Magus said:

Would this be the reason then that not only the Hasidim but the Amish as well wear black hats to cover their head? Does the color black have any significance?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Compulsory black hats is a post-war phenomenon. There's a thread somewhere here with Golden Era pictures of ultra(!)-Orthodox people, and there are more colours than in colour pics of today. :) How this came about is complex thing (and rather off-topic I suppose).

Funnily, while the black hat had assumed some status several decades ago, people aren't aware that the form did change, just like among other wearers. In the sixties, most ultra-Orthodox would wear a stingy black hat, very Blues Brothers.

Rumour has it that the fedora in particular was adopted when the last rabbi of the Hasidic Lubavitch/Chabad sect arrived in the US. He purportedly went to the first hat shop to look what they have, and decided for this. Nonsense, of course.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Americans are exposed to far fewer varieties of Orthodox Judaism than actually exist. The reason we all associate Hassidism with the fedora is because of Chabad-Lubavitch, which is not only among the largest Hassidic groups in North America, but unlike all other Hassidic groups, it is not insular and actively seeks new adherents (among Jews).

In Israel you see a lot more varieties of Orthodox head covering, many different styles. The Vizhnitz wear a large fur hat:
streimel.jpg

There are many variations of this hat.

The Breslov wear something like a boater but out of fur:
alef.jpg

One of the most typical hats, now highly ceremonial, is the Shtreiml, associated with southern Poland, Hungary and Romania:
40_big.jpg

The status of a Hassidic Jew could often be told by the material of his hat. The wealthiest would wear mink.

By the by, Hassidic groups are named after the city in which their founding rabbi was born.

The Litvaks (Yiddish for Lithuanians - a nickname for the other major branch of Orthodox Judaism that is not Hassidic and does not actually denote the country of origin of its adherents) mostly wear fedoras and very many varieties. Again, those living in North America would be familiar with far fewer types than those of us in Europe or Israel.

Black is their chosen colour because they perceive it as the colour of modest wear.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Addendum: Even top hats were common for rabbis until the early 20th century and continued to be used in the UK until mid century. As Shaul-Ike's link shows, there is no uniformity except within a Hassidic group.

A very famous cantor from the early 20th century:

yossele_rosenblatt.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Believe me , I am happy that most of my customers want only black hats. I can only imagine what it would be like if the religious community still wanted blue and gray hats. We have so many different variations on the black hats pertaining to the brim widths and the different size bands. If we had to carry different colors as well, I'd be totaly crazy!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

vintage68

Practically Family
Alon said:
In Israel you see a lot more varieties of Orthodox head covering, many different styles. The Vizhnitz wear a large fur hat:
streimel.jpg

Black is their chosen colour because they perceive it as the colour of modest wear.

Tell me Jews don't wear this hat in the heat of Israel!!!!??;-)

gsquaredb

New in Town
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Compulsory black hats is a post-war phenomenon. There's a thread somewhere here with Golden Era pictures of ultra(!)-Orthodox people, and there are more colours than in colour pics of today. :) How this came about is complex thing (and rather off-topic I suppose).

Funnily, while the black hat had assumed some status several decades ago, people aren't aware that the form did change, just like among other wearers. In the sixties, most ultra-Orthodox would wear a stingy black hat, very Blues Brothers.

Rumour has it that the fedora in particular was adopted when the last rabbi of the Hasidic Lubavitch/Chabad sect arrived in the US. He purportedly went to the first hat shop to look what they have, and decided for this. Nonsense, of course.

This seems very odd since there are pre-war pictures of the Rebbe wearing a similar style fedora to what is worn in post-war and today.

Magus

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
The Talmud is not regarded as holy as the Bible, but it is much more the main text of Judaism, if there's any. An often overlooked thing is that Orthodox Jews are not fundamentalists, but have always commented, interpreted and discussed the "Old Testament", as opposed to modern Christian fundamentalists and some Reform Jews. (This is not to polemize, it's just a different approach.)

Concerning the issue at hand: covering one's head is explicitly not based on the Bible, but is first mentioned in a later talmudic source, rather passim in an anectode ("soandso wouldn't walk four cubits without covering his head"). Also, until today, it doesn't have the status of a law (mitzva) but of a mere custom, and in fact local habits differ in this.

I love it when these things come up as it instigates research!

As Shaul-Ike Cohen pointed out I should have said that the Old Testament is "a" main text not "the" main text. And this caused me to dig further. I then found that I was WAY off base it is not based on the Old Testament.

So...I stand corrected...well...actually I am sitting...but you know ;-)

Not wishing to remain uninformed I called my friend Rabbi Ben and he echoed Shaul-Ike Cohen's comment. He by explained to me that is indeed a custom. Though some would wish to consider it law because of its widespread following...and that it based on the geographical and societal setting in which the Testament as written. That being, in the Middle East when you entered the presence of someone of high standing, you covered your head. As to how it got fedora-ized...I have nooooooo idea.

Thanks for the thread...and thanks to Shaul-Ike Cohen for the prompting...in me at least :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn