Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ads

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Last Mallory ad

Mario said:
Mallory, Date unknown
3757643113_aea4d9c22a_o.jpg

Thanks Mario! I love these Mallory ads almost as much as I love the hats themselves!

Seeing all those model names, one wonders how many specimen have been made of these... I have never seen an Air Cruiser or a Varsity, so far!

BTW, when you magnify the above image, in the upper left edge the word "March" becomes visible. And after that, I think I read either 1943 or 1948.

Regards,

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Bantam Man said:
Thanks Mario! I love these Mallory ads almost as much as I love the hats themselves!

Seeing all those model names, one wonders how many specimen have been made of these... I have never seen an Air Cruiser or a Varsity, so far!

BTW, when you magnify the above image, in the upper left edge the word "March" becomes visible. And after that, I think I read either 1943 or 1948.

Regards,

Yes, those ads are just great. Most of them were made by Earl Cordrey, who did a lot of illustration work in the 1940s and 1950s, primarily men's fashion stuff.

And all those hat names - have you ever seen a Stetson Glenmar, Durand or Frazer? I certainly not. Where have they all gone?

BTW: I just found the complete version of the above ad, along with the date:

Mallory, March 1948
3760188352_cc4cf361ee_o.jpg

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Mallory ads

Fantastic Mario! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Where did you all learn this?

BTW, are there any vintage hat shops in Berlin? If so, please PM me. I hope to visit your city later this week. It will be my first time.

Gute Nacht! (I have to go to work tomorrow morning... :eusa_doh:)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Bantam Man said:
Fantastic Mario! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Where did you all learn this?

BTW, are there any vintage hat shops in Berlin? If so, please PM me. I hope to visit your city later this week. It will be my first time.

Gute Nacht! (I have to go to work tomorrow morning... :eusa_doh:)

Not much to it, really - all those infos can be found on the internet. You just need to follow the proper links... ;)

And no, there are not really any vintage hat shops in Berlin that I know of. Thrift stores, yes - and some of them might have some nice hats, but you never know.

buler

I'll Lock Up
original ad artwork for Stetson

Here is an original inking for some Stetson advertising. Its marked '33 in pencil at the bottom and says "rough" on the back. Too bad there isn't an artist name to be found.

B

stetson_auction_pic_1.jpg

stetson_ink_1.jpg

stetson_ink_2.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Hats ink blotter

Here is a desk ink blotter that I just won on ebay. Can't make out the artist signature or date, even with a magnifying glass.

B

stetson_blotter_upload.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Swann-Abram hat co postcard

This postcard is full of information. Interesting that nutria is the cheapest.

B

swann_abram_front_cropped.jpg

swann_abram_back_cropped.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I recently picked up these two hat advertisements. They're both printed on thin paper, so I'm guessing they were meant to be pasted about town, as ads were (and still are) in large cities.

I don't know anything about either maker, so fill me in, hat mavens.

owlhat1.jpg

linneyhat1.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fedora reference 1891

Ad from June 1891 referencing a fedora hat. The play "Fedora" was first shown in the US in 1889.

fedora_reference_jun_1891_utah_dese.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner