Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ads

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I love the Cavanagh ads from the 1930s. They are clearly appealing to the upscale market.

Lefty said:
The cavs are certainly the most elegant.

I love them as well!

It doesn't take very long to collect the majority of Cavanagh ads from the '30s, as Cavanagh ads are pretty rare, as I'm sure you've discovered. John Cavanagh would occasionally advertise, usually in Fortune, since that was his market, but he relied mainly on word of mouth amongst his customers to generate business for his Park Avenue store. John Cavanagh, Ltd., and Cavanagh Hats were his baby, and he wasn't concerned with volume sales, but rather offering the highest-quality, made-to-order product for his exclusive clients.

Even throughout the 1940s Cavanagh ads remain rare, and it isn't until around 1953, with John Cavanagh's influence waning in the company, that you start to see an increase in advertisements. By the time the Salesky Bros. take charge of the Hat Corporation of America, you really get an increase in Cavanagh ads as they attempted to modernize the brand.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
I love them as well!

It doesn't take very long to collect the majority of Cavanagh ads from the '30s, as Cavanagh ads are pretty rare, as I'm sure you've discovered. John Cavanagh would occasionally advertise, usually in Fortune, since that was his market, but he relied mainly on word of mouth amongst his customers to generate business for his Park Avenue store. John Cavanagh, Ltd., and Cavanagh Hats were his baby, and he wasn't concerned with volume sales, but rather offering the highest-quality, made-to-order product for his exclusive clients.

Even throughout the 1940s Cavanagh ads remain rare, and it isn't until around 1953, with John Cavanagh's influence waning in the company, that you start to see an increase in advertisements. By the time the Salesky Bros. take charge of the Hat Corporation of America, you really get an increase in Cavanagh ads as they attempted to modernize the brand.

Brad

They did a good job of modernizing the brand right out of existence.
I prefer the upscale approach. It makes better sense and the ads are very tastefuly done---as opposed to the modern Stetson advertising:
lawrence92.jpg

:rolleyes: :kick:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The links on my post from page 2 seem to be broken, so here they are again.

These three are from 1929/1930, "The Saturday Evening Post".
hatad001.jpg

hatad003.jpg

hatad002.jpg

Do you happen to know the date of that groovy Mallory ad, Hadley? I'm guessing early to mid '50s. Gotta love not only the styles but the model names as well.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
a couple of really interesting ads

Look at all of the ways they're wearing these. I haven't seen anyone other than Douglas sport this many looks. The guy on the top right must be the Fonzie of his time.
Imperial1908.jpg

The hat ad is ok, but in combination with the ad below, I love it.
mallory1909.jpg

There's at least one band in this ad that you'll never see again.
(Please, no history lectures here. We all know it's not a Nazi hat band.)
Wickhatbands1908.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've been collecting Crofut & Knapp's year-long series of "Hat of the Month" ads by Percy Edward Anderson that ran in the Saturday Evening Post between 1929 and 1930, partly for my Cavanagh research, partly to replicate hats of the period, but mostly because they look so nice framed on my wall.lol These were bold and colorful ads for their time!

Anyway, I received one today for "The Ariel," which ran April 19, 1930, and I was surprised by the brim edge detail - concentric rings stitched around the outer edge. We've seen it on Dobbs, Stetson, and others, but this was the first time I've run across it on a C&K hat. I've love to see physical examples of these hats. I wonder if any are still around?

Ariel.jpg

Detail.jpg

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Those are also very nice. I've only seen a few C&K, Knapp, or Knappfelt hats.
Marc and feltfan are the only two with photos of Knapp hats that I can find on the Lounge.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What a beautiful ad.
This sort of cattleman's crease (side-dent) on a non-western hat is one of my recent favorites.

Warbaby said:
A couple of classy hat ads from the early 20s:

adLonglyHats1920.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Anyway, I received one today for "The Ariel," which ran April 19, 1930, and I was surprised by the brim edge detail - concentric rings stitched around the outer edge. We've seen it on Dobbs, Stetson, and others, but this was the first time I've run across it on a C&K hat. I've love to see physical examples of these hats. I wonder if any are still around?

I'm a little puzzled here. Is there a cav edge and decorative stitching, or is a cav edge not standard on a C&K hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24