Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Company Histories?

silverHalo

New in Town
Anyone know of any books written about or including detailed histories of Hat Companies? Stetson, Dobbs, Mallory? Etc.. I shudder to think that histories of some of the greatest hat makers have disappered for ever, without a trace. What ever happened to their vintage catalogs? Pictures?

Barry

Practically Family
silverHalo,

That's a great avatar!

I'm interested in the same thing. Last weekend I picked up a hat at a vintage clothing store (even though I suspect the hat isn't really old). All it says is "Melton," "Art in Hats," and "Fifth Avenue, New York." It's in good shape and fits perfectly. I do need to have it reblocked because it was blocked too low for my taste.

I wonder if Melton was a hat store and they simply re-branded the hat with their own name. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Barry

silverHalo

New in Town
The Stetson book is great. But what off all the others? Mallory getting swallowed by Dobbs, swallowed by Stetson, by Hatco. Christy's of London? What of all the old catalogs? Anyone have any .PDF's of those?

WEEGEE

Practically Family
JUST ORDERED THIS BOOK

The Story of Two Famous Hatters --Updegraff, Robert R:

New York, NY: Knox Hat Co./Privately Published, 1926. Hard Cover. 76 pages, includes a page of drawing of what at first appears to be a variety of pears but which turns out upon closer inspection to be "Outlines of Some Famous Heads", including U.S. Grant, Enrico Caruso, and Theodore Roosevelt! Charming bit of New York commercial history from the days of painstaking craftmanship and pride in handmade work!.

It seems to be available though most book sites (of course used and not expensive)

I'll let all know when i receive it. :beer:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HAT TALK by Debbie Henderson, Ph.D.

Hat Talk, by Debbie Henderson.

One of the best. It chronicles the history, from actual haters, of the glory days of the American Hat Industry. Priceless information.

I ordered it from the author directly. It is out of print, I think.

"HAT TALK" by Debbie Henderson, Ph.D.

"Converstaions with Hat Makers about their Hats-the Fedora, Homburg, Straw, and Cap".

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Debbie Hendersons book "Hat Talk " is one of the best history books. She also wrote a book about top hats . There is a book about the history of Borsalino that was written about ten years ago . It's a great book about the factory but it's written in Italian. Jeffrey Snydens book about Stetson is also good .
:cool2:

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Where to find Hat Talk?

Andykev said:
Hat Talk, by Debbie Henderson.

One of the best. It chronicles the history, from actual haters, of the glory days of the American Hat Industry. Priceless information.

I ordered it from the author directly. It is out of print, I think.

"HAT TALK" by Debbie Henderson, Ph.D.

"Converstaions with Hat Makers about their Hats-the Fedora, Homburg, Straw, and Cap".

I looked several places online, amazon, powells, half.com, overstock.com. Amazon had a couple of titles by Debbie Henderson, but no "Hat Talk". Anyone want to sell me their copy? :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I ordered Hat Talk through Borders Books today. Their website, http://www.bordersstores.com lists it as in print, so I ordered it to be picked up at my local store. Have to wait and see. Don't go through Borders.com, as it's an Amazon.com portal, though, and it won't be find.

Alibris has a signed first edition for $75!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot