Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT FOR OBAMA Godspeed Josh Shayne

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
http://www.hatforobama.com/

He's on a quest to take the President a hat and... well, let's hope he succeeds.

Proceeds from the sale of the Presidential hats that Stetson is making are going to an organization that gives hats to children that have lost their hair during cancer treatment.

We already have a thread here on Obama and the inauguration and weather or not he will wear a topper, though for the regular day to day, he's going to be in the sun and traveling the world. A man wearing a suit and going nation to nation needs a hat that goes with a suit and the only thing suitable is a dress hat like a fedora. I know he'll look great in the hat. I hope he wears the hat and continues to wear it. It would economically help out the hatters of America (plug for economic stimulus), and ad a little more credence to the assertion that Barrack is one of our most stylish presidents since Teddy Roosevelt.

So Shayne, all the best. Hope Obama gets to wear that hat... and get him a grey one too...

univibe88

One Too Many
I really hope he succeeds. Of course getting it in his hands is one thing - Obama then has to decide to wear it. Here is hoping the cold weather helps with that.

skippymchaggis

New in Town
are the hat's being sold for the charity any good? i have only been lurking here a couple weeks after ordering an Aero jacket and am still learning about hats.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'd say when it comes to Quality, Stetson is definitely a step above modern Borsalino and Akubra. Stetson puts a lot of powder in their felts to even out color so the worry sometimes is that the color dribbles out after the first couple hits by rain.

Other than that, They are okay and I'd say dollar for dollar an okay hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The man. The hat. The mission.

The Pinnacle is 100% beaver felt and a nice poduction hat. Several people on the FL have them. It'd be a nice hat in black for the new president to wear on inaugration day.
The Temple is fur felt and another nice hat. It looks nice in the caribou grey color.
The third hat in the Presidential Series is a wool/cashmere blend. Definitely the lesser of the three felt choices offered in the Presidential Series.

Here's wishing Josh success on his quest.

Matt, Thanks for starting this thread. It's nice to know that a portion of the money from each hat sale goes to a worthy cause.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
"Hatless Jack"

I'm sure most everyone on FL has read "Hatless Jack." This reminds me of the hatters and Kennedy.

Obama should definitely wear a hat.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think that for hats to make a uniform comeback in someway it would have to happen with the media first. We need to see reporters on the scene wearing more hats. Trying to get the president to don a hat is nearly an impossible task. Though give free hats to the reporters that cover the stories, those on the scene that are outside and wearing a coat; give them fedoras to wear and it will catch on. Right now the most notable on air wearers are Al Roker and Matt Lauer on the Today Show. I'm sure on the scene of an incident a black fedora is sometimes more menacing than a grey one... why not go grey. Just an idea. I'm sure plenty of reporters would wear them on the air. There is a better chance of spawning a hat wearing public if they see those in the media leading the way.

MattLauer2.jpg
340x.jpg

dostacos

Practically Family
for those NOT following on his twitter, he was close enough for VP elect Biden to respond to him. I think he needs to get them to the secret service :eusa_clap

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Wow! That video is so hard to watch. I don't know I think a couple Stetson Reps would look more astute in suits and ties trying to get the hat to Obama, yet I'm sure if they were going about it the same way they would never get as close as Josh.

I still think the hat needs to be gray. It's just my opinion. Black overcoats sometimes need gray hats to take the look away from being so stark. Especially if they aren't formal and are just in suits and overcoats.

Now if somehow the mainstream media would pick this up. I know it's small when it comes to stories available... yet it would be quite a feet.

Good luck Josh!

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Hai mekka lekka... 7 1/4

I am curious as to what size the hat they he is trying to give to the President-elect is and how the size was chosen. Is Barack Obama's hat size available as public knowledge somewhere or has Mister Shayne consulted some sartorial sage who can deduce it at sight without measuring.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
dostacos said:
for those NOT following on his twitter, he was close enough for VP elect Biden to respond to him. I think he needs to get them to the secret service :eusa_clap

If anyone NEEDS to sport a fedora, it certainly would be Vice President elect Joe Biden! He doesn't seem to have much hair left. :eusa_doh:

dostacos

Practically Family
WideBrimm said:
If anyone NEEDS to sport a fedora, it certainly would be Vice President elect Joe Biden! He doesn't seem to have much hair left. :eusa_doh:
well Shane DID look to have TWO hats in his hands.....:eusa_clap

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I still think the hat needs to be gray. It's just my opinion. Black overcoats sometimes need gray hats to take the look away from being so stark.

Agreed...especially in Washington DC where Jack Abramoff ruined black fedoras for awhile...

Jack-Abramoff-main.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic