Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat liner coming out

GearHead

One of the Regulars
The liner on my Stetson is starting to come lose around the sweat band.
What's the proper way to fix this?
Thanks,
Erick

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I had a similar thing happen on one of mine and used a very small dab of fabric glue to hold it in place. Not sure if this is the purist's answer, but it worked and did no damage to the felt.

Magus

Practically Family
There should be a little piece of material between the sweatband and the hat body. A very few wide stitches from the liner to the this should secure it. Even if it was glued in the past, attaching it this way would make removing the liner later easier (if you ever had to do that).

M

Pilgrim

One Too Many
If the liner's lower edges come down behind the sweatband, the liner may stay in place by itself. I have one hat like this - the liner was removed, but after being put back in place it hasn't moved.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Believe it or not , Elmers glue works great . Since no one sews in linnings anymore ,the glue will dry up and the lining falls out . The worst offender in this is Borsalino. we must glue in between 50 and 100 linnings a week from them in the summer .

Fedora

Vendor
Believe it or not , Elmers glue works great

It does indeed. But, what a headache for the hatter when and if the hat is reblocked. That glue stays on the felt. When you go to iron the felt hat on the block, the glue reactivates and sticks the hat body to the block. If glue was used on the top of the crown to keep the liner from dropping down, it is really hard to get the body loose from the block. That is the one area that you cannot run the stick up to break it free. Hot glue works no better in this regard. Stitch it. Fedora

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran