Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat look worn?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
the hat Jeff Bridges is wearing is much more dense and much thinner ... most likely vintage
felt like that will respond better to the destruction you wish you inflict

modern thicker stuff will look kinda funny I think ... but what do I know ... I've never purposely destroyed a hat before

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I like this photos, but without a hole :D .... so I need to cut a brim edges like third photo? What else?

2016-08-27_17-37-59-bc6b9d.jpg

photo-1-for-props-2373bb.jpg

2016-08-27_17-44-00-1ac1f2.jpg

Why don't you study acting? Then you would have a proper excuse to masquerade as a poor man.

I was raised by folks who were poor in the first place and then lived through The Great Depression. Fortunately they stayed alive to tell about it and educate their children. During my adult years I have travelled quite a bit, and I have seen more poverty, than anyone wants to see. For me it always bring forward a nasty, bitter taste to my mouth, when I experience reasonable well off people, profiling themselves by masquerading as poor people.

Different strokes for different folks - but that's just two cents, based on the real-life experiences of my family. You may change them to what ever you like, Sir.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Why don't you study acting? Then you would have a proper excuse to masquerade as a poor man.

I was raised by folks who were poor in the first place and then lived through The Great Depression. Fortunately they stayed alive to tell about it and educate their children. During my adult years I have travelled quite a bit, and I have seen more poverty, than anyone wants to see. For me it always bring forward a nasty, bitter taste to my mouth, when I experience reasonable well off people, profiling themselves by masquerading as poor people.

Different strokes for different folks - but that's just two cents, based on the real-life experiences of my family. You may change them to what ever you like, Sir.
around my way it's called "fakin' the funk"

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Seriously, I believe you've gotten plenty of ideas. Just get the hat you prefer and start to distress it. Beat it up. Get it wet. Mash it around with your greasy hands. Rub it in the dirt/earth/dust etc. Handle it with dirty/oily hands. Kick it around the yard/street whatever... you'll do it and it will develop some "patina" and character in a few months.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I like this photos, but without a hole :D .... so I need to cut a brim edges like third photo? What else?

2016-08-27_17-37-59-bc6b9d.jpg

photo-1-for-props-2373bb.jpg

I can well understand the attraction for a worn, characterful hat, it has nothing to do with poverty, it's just a style (shabby chic ?) some folk like. :D The hat worn by Jeff Bridges in ' True Grit' was made by 'Baron Hats' so if you've 625 bucks (+ $50 for aging it ) to spend, they'll make you one, with or without the pinch hole.(50 bucks for a pinch hole) I would forget about trying to age your cheap wool felt hat, without the materials & know how it just ain't gonna happen. Anyone who 'professionally' ages hats isn't going to divulge their techniques on a public forum.
What I would do, is calm down & take my time scouting ebay US for a used fur felt cowboy hat which will be much easier to give a worn look to by actually wearing it.

Last edited:

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
they'll make you one, with or without the pinch hole.(50 bucks for a pinch hole)

Dang! If you get 5 pinch-holes you could buy a custom beaver-felt from Mr. Gannon!

A true story relevant to this discussion just came to mind. When I was living in El Paso, I dated a girl whose grandfather was used as an extra when Lone Wolf McCade (starring Chuck Norris) was filmed around there. (I know: Cheesy doesn't even begin to describe this movie, but let's stay on point.) Her grandfather, who worked as a real ranch-hand, showed up in his every-day attire, and was cast as one of the banditos in the opening scene. Well, Chuck showed up donning one of the faux distressed babies on his head; but after the first few takes, the director asked my girl friend's grandfather if he would swap hats with Chuck, who wore it throughout the movie. The rest goes into the annals of bad movie history.

Lessons to be learned? I would say, first, no matter how hard you may try to artificially distress a hat, nothing will match the look of one whose wear was honestly earned. Second, if some movie director asks you to swap your nicely worn hat with the star, say yes only if you get a big cash payout. I don't think grandpa got anything other than the faux distressed hat!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I can well understand the attraction for a worn, characterful hat, it has nothing to do with poverty, it's just a style (shabby chic ?) some folk like
I know what this fad is called - and I know it's widely accepted. That doesn't change my view on the subject, so let's agree to disagree :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21