Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat making books?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've been doing some scouting around for books on hat-making without success. At least, without success where men's hats are concerned. There seems to be plenty on making women's hats.

I tried running a search, but we all know the search function is pretty useless for some things. A search with the words "hat making book" comes up with a lot of posts, none of which seem to be relevant.

Searching on simililar subjects on used book sites have likewise been fruitless, as has Googling. I get sites and references to making women's hats.

One of the reasons for my search is that I'd like to see how hat blocks and flanges worked together. I've purchased a few blocks and one with a flange. (I thought I also purchased a couple of flanges through BIN a couple of weeks ago and today received a refund and a message saying there had been a mix-up and they couldn't sell me the flanges right now. Asking for more specifics.)

Both the blocks and the flange have holes on the undersides for posts. I've seen the photos in the sticky on making a new hat regarding the block, but it doesn't appear the hatter used the same sort of flange as what I have and see on eBay.

Were books just not published on the subject? Was it something you were expected to learn as an apprentice and therefore no one thought to write about the process? [huh]

I suppose I'm not the only one frustrated with this here. I do recall seeing comments made by people who have deconstructed hats to see how they were put together and by others who taught themselves by trial and error. I can do that, but I'm fairly well known in my family as one who goes out and gets books on whatever new venture or skill I'm interested in.

Anyone have any references, or at least photos of hat blocks and flanges being used together?

Thanks,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner