Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Matching Suit?

CollegeKid

New in Town
First of all, hi everyone, I'm new here. Second, I have a question. If you have an ensemble of a black suit, black shirt (with white snap buttons), white and black tie, black shoes, and white spats, does your hat's main color have to match your black suit? Or can it match the white?

Also in general, does the hat have to match the suit, or can it be a different color to coincide with your other articles of clothing?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'll let the experts answer (and there are many here to help you). For my part, I just want to say welcome to the Lounge. ;)

Yes, Kid, welcome aboard.

Like zetwal, I'll not only offer my greetings, I'll defer to the more expert voices to answer your question.

But I can comfortably say this ...

Your description of that outfit conjures "costumey" images. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. I've been known to wear some outlandish stuff myself, every now and then. Think turquoise pleated formal shirt, red eelskin cowboy boots, pink (yes, pink) hat. So don't take my assessment of that getup you're contemplating as any sort of putdown. But know that there are probably few settings where that outfit wouldn't seem at least a bit showy. If that's what you're aiming for, well, you'll likely succeed.

CollegeKid

New in Town
Haha yes this one is specifically for a costume party, so it is a bit showy. I'll have to put up some pictures sometime.

But can you wear a different colour hat than your main suit colour other than gray and brown hats?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge. Do a search - there's at least one other big post about black hats. Going with gray's probably a better choice because it's more versatile in that it can be worn with black, grays and blues.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
With your outfit grey or black are the best colours. As for matching in general, grey and brown are the most versatile. I'd personally match with the suit and not the shirt or tie, as the suit covers more of your body. The odds are that if your hat matches your suit, your shirt and tie will match anyway as they should match your suit.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge, kid!

Recognizing that you are looking for an over-the-top costume look, I'd say you want to keep the black/white thing going. Get a black fedora with a white band or a white fedora with a black band.

Since this is just a one-shot deal for a costume party, I would go with wool felt. Maybe something like this:
26_IYX51991_NOCOLOR_3.jpg

which you can get here for $17.95. They also have a black one for $16.95.

You have a lot of choices, I Googled "wool felt gangster hat" and returned 22 fedoras under $30.

Of course, we at the FL hope that you find you like the look and consider getting a better-grade fedora for daily wear.

CollegeKid

New in Town
Yeah I ended up getting a black one with a white band. And I do own a couple of Fedoras I wear with casual clothing, but I don't wear suits that often where I get the chance to wear a hat as well. Although I did spend a little extra money on the hat, it is still pretty nice. It is similar to the one that Wolfmanjack posted.

Thank you all very much so far! Hopefully I will be able to slowly expand my wardrobe...with whatever money I don't spend on food, rent, or school.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
My Father taught me that your hat is supposed to "compliment" your coat. Overcoat if it is overcoat weather,
suitcoat, blazer, or sportcoat if not. He said that "compliment" is a match, harmonize, or pleasant contrast,
but never a clash. In my opinion, a white hat and white spats
clash with a black suit. Whereas, a Gray hat and gray spats
would harmonize. A brown hat would clash, but a dark blue (not navy) hat would harmonize. A tan or taupe hat would be a pleasant contrast. Just my 2 cents.:D

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Cigarband said:
In my opinion, a white hat and white spats
clash with a black suit. Whereas, a Gray hat and gray spats
would harmonize.

I agree, to a point. Here I am at the premier of Public Enemies in a black pinstriped DB with a gray hat and spats.
JMSspats2.jpg

But remember, CollegeKid is putting together an over-the-top outfit for a costume party. I think the high-contrast black/white thing he has going will really make his outfit pop.

Go with it, Kid...and before you go out the door, take some pics to post here.

CollegeKid

New in Town
I got some pics of it, I think it looked pretty nice. I decided to not go with the spats though. I'll put them up when I upload them.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
CollegeKid said:
I got some pics of it, I think it looked pretty nice. I decided to not go with the spats though. I'll put them up when I upload them.
Looking forward to seeing your pics, Kid.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, like others have offered, black with white band or white with black band... my personal favorite is white with a black band. If you want to add a touch of authenticity, most "gangsters" wore white hats with black ribbons or matching ribbons. If they wore a black hat, it had a black ribbon.

A photo of the most infamous of them all; Al Capone in a light hat with dark band.

1194564.jpg

Now, a photo of the most infamous "movie" gangster; James Cagney in a dark hat with dark ribbon

public-enemy_1452829i.jpg

Good luck and have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran