Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Pilgramage #2: Greeley Hat Works

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Back from the road again, and time for installment #2 of my Hat Pilgramage: the Elusive Search for the Perfect Hat.

I flew into Denver for about 15 hours, primarily to drive 1.5 hours up to Greeley to pick up my very cool custom hat. It's an out of the box number for sure, as I know most folks here don't like stiff western hats.

The Picture quality is not great, but have a look:

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Before I give you a profile look and some chat about Trent the man and his shop, you have to see how remarkable the inside of the hat is--highly artistic liner, sweat, felt combo. All the highest craftsmanship and materials I've yet to see in a hat. From the photo though you can't see my name stamped in the sweat.

And a great touch, Trent provides me with a cedar block of the conform fit to place in the hat when not being worn. Class act!

gcollins

One of the Regulars
The felt on this hat is high quality for sure. 100% pure and premium black beaver, so incredibly soft and finished with a buff to it. Stiff? You bet, but shaped for my head and feels great. A kind of western-fedora crossover hat, and yes, that's a sterling silver buckle on the self band. I just love it.

And Trent is such a great guy to work with, not unlike some others around here with intense customer focus who continually bends over backward to make you the perfect hat. He is a true master hatter. You walk into his shop in a small Colorado town, and there's Trent with his bluetooth headset connected to his cellphone and his palm pilot, calling my name, Mr. Collins!, when I walk through the door. After we chat over some local Colorado rootbeer with his staff (all in custom Western hats and who will never call me anything but Mr. Collins) and his young son....he gets to work with the conformateur and steamer to make sure that the art that leaves the door on my head is worthy of his name.

He does have a nice lighter weight 100% beaver, which is also a very, very nice beaver. It is not pliable per fedora soft standards, but it is fine fine fine. I'll get another hat at some point made from this material in the color of sage, a lovely lighter olive color. His natural is also quite nice.

His workshop with antique equipment? Unbelievable. There cannot be 4 shops in the universe like this one. And the service level pretty much doesn't exist in many places.

I won't spend as much time on this forum going over the details on my balanced assessment of Trent's hats, since most of the folks here may not care much for this kind of hat. I can however provide the true positives and negatives to you seperately, if you are interested. Suffice it to say, this guy is not chosen to provide a hat to President Bush by luck. But a custom 100% beaver hat is not cheap here. And, you know, it shouldn't be.

Is this the perfect hat? I'll leave that for the end of the Pilgrimage series wrap-up.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hi Matt:

I knew someone was going to ask that, and a closer look is due. The sweat is unbelievably soft and thick and the liner is composed, as you can see in 4 layers. Cool beans.

Anyway, don't congratulate me, I just had the hat made as part of the Pilgrimage series. the great makers of the hats are the ones to celebrate--their craft, their drive to make the perfect lid. I'll be publishing a full report and scorecard on the finest hats made by the finest makers. These looks are just a look, as we continue the pilgrimage. I'll be looking for input as to the catagories of the scorecard.

Now for that liner!

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hey Zohar:

Indeed, I'll get to Chicago sometime in November. I travel more often to the states these days, but primarily only around San Fran. I should get to Chicago sometime in November. But I'll need to see about Graham making his best in class hat for submission to the Pilgrimage Scorecard. Donations are accepted and each hatter can submit more than one hat. And I'll try my best to visit each hatter as well as review the hats in excruciating detial for the scorecard.

So far, I'm looking at these hatters:

1. VS
2. Greeley Hat Works
3. Optimo
4. Gladhatter
5. Brent Black
6. Michael Harris

Who else should I include? I'd like about 10 or so.

Regards,
G

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Good one. Maybe Peter Bros.

You know, I also meant to list Gary White. He should be an excellent hatter as well, but doesn't get much press. Perhaps when you're in buffalo, you don't get too much foot traffic.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Glad to here the good reviews of Trent's work. I still have been unable to make it out to his shop. Then again, I don't get out that direction very often. You are giving me more reasons to make a trip to Greeley. :)

Oh yeah, nice lid! ;)

Tom

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Hello G,
I would add Fedora here at the lounge. I have 2 of his Platinum Beavers and they are great. I have one in brown blocked I.J. style and a Natural that he sent me open crown. I'll get some pictures up soon. I also would add

http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/prices.htm

I have seen a silver belly in beaver that he made for RayK from him and it was a very nice hat the brim was stiffer than i like. These 2 fellows make a great hat and are a pleasure to deal with.:D

myronw

New in Town
Hi Mr. Collins,

Is it about time for your next installment? We're all waiting on pins and needles to see what you come up with next. Those of us who are living vicariously through you, need another hat fix!

Seriously... I hope you're well and that things are going great for you, over there on the other side of the world.

Keep smiling,

Myron

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'm telling ya...go pick your hat out from Rosendo Delgado or Flerida Pachay in Montecristi...then fly out to those other destinations and have them block it. Save $$$$$

Gershomite

New in Town
Fine looking hat, G, very fine indeed. Attention to detail is evident. The liner is first rate. Nice looking hatbox too. I actually prefer the brim to be a bit stiffer than most right out of the box. It will take the set I want it to as time goes by.

All that way to Greeley and no photo's of Trent or his shop?

:)

Gersh

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Myron and Gersh:

Thanks for the reminder indeed. I'm on the raod again this week (what's new?) in India and Singapore, so I'm a bit strapped for time. Too many telcons with the US, and trying to get the business done during the days and nights (asia takes night work to a different level).

Once I get back to China, I'll get out another intallation of the hat series reviews.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner