• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by RBH, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Found this today and was excited to see Jimmy Stewart wore the same size as me {7 1\2}
    Then I checked futher and saw that they take claim for the thin ribboned fedora in Seabiscuit . [we know that Art had the original Marathon]
    That made me wonder about these size listings. Does anyone have a clue if the sizes would be correct or not?
  2. Stoney

Stoney Practically Family

Thanks for posting this. I guess I'm the same size as Donald O'Conner and Ronald Reagan.

3. I've seen the orignals! Very cool. That was back when Eddie Baron still ran the shop...many, many moons ago. He made a really nice hat.
  4. Many of the sizes are surprisingly large, considering how small we often consider vintage hat sizes to be. 7 3/8, 7 1/2 and even 7 5/8 are very common on the list. What are rare are any sizes below about 7 1/8.
  5. Wesne

Wesne One of the Regulars

I once heard a theory (as I recall it was attributed to Merv Griffin) that people with big faces tended to become big celebrities, or something like that. Basically the idea was that a large face photographed well and came across well on-screen. Naturally it wouldn't hold true for everyone but it was a sort of natural selection at work - people with large faces were better adapted for this particular function and tended to be more successful at it. Maybe large heads go along with big faces.
  6. According to that theory, I should be a movie star. I wear a 7-5/8, just like Ray Milland, and Michael Rennie.
    But fame has eluded me,...[huh]