Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Sponge? Really?

nola89

Familiar Face
So I feel like I need some sort of device to clean my felt hat with. Brushes are an obvious choice, however, does anyone have any experience or know anything about the Hats In The Belfry hat sponge?

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/01032-OrangeSponge.html

Supposedly, it does what a brush does. It's cheaper than the brushes I've seen and if it works why not save some dough?

However, if this is a joke of a product I will happily shell out $3+ for a proper tool.

bendingoak

Vendor
It's a sponge that does a little more than a hat brush. It will shave off a tiny bit of felt/hair. I would say get yourself a good hat brush. It will get all the dust and loose dirt off your hat and tighten up the nap.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I've got two of these sponges (one for light, other for dark color hats), and whilst there isn't anything "magic" about them (there never is any magic involved...), they do a very good job. The structure of these sponges is such that the "ridges of the air bubbles" are just hard and sharp enough to scrape the surface of the felt, in doing so removing surface dirt. To a certain extent, it works well - not that it removes deep-set smudges; for that you need a naphta dunking.
A brush is softer. It just "brushes off" surface dust etc.

I perceive three stages of cleaning:

-"daily" brush stroke, for surface dust

-"occasional" sponge massage, together with steam, for "low/medium dirt"

(both above with a good baby powder (talcum) sprinkling, to remove "superficial athmospheric car exhaust gunk and other fatty substances") and, generally, a baby smooth felt surface (and -some would consider it to be- "an effete, but nice" scent).

-"exceptional" naphta dunk for serious deep cleaning, followed by sponge, and thereafter brush and talcum...

In short: you need sponges AND brush.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
Aren't there some (tiny) risks when getting a wool hat wet?
maybe because it's already felted it wouldn't make a difference, but I've been knitting for long enough to know that water is usually wool's worst enemy

warbird

One Too Many
Yes most wool hats, with a few exceptions, whould not be gotten wet.

What these folks are referring to here are fur felt hats. I for one do not bother to really ever clean my wool hats. The couple I have are for wearing in areas where I don't want to wear an expensive fur felt hat but need a cover on anyway.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Sponge versus Brush

The biggest difference I have found between the orange brushes and a brush is that the sponges are harder and keep their straight form, and hence brush "down". The brushes are softer and more flexible, and hence brush "off". That is - for satin finishes or long hair, the brushes do a fine job of creating a pattern in the felt (direction of nap). Brushes I would say are better at getting fine dust and grime off the hat, instead of pushing it in. For what it is worth, thats my 2 cents worth.

leo

One of the Regulars
I received brush and hard and soft sponges for my new Nathaniel's Outback Explorer and was shown how to use them. What PabloElFlamenco said is spot on to what I learned. I also have a brush and sponge for my darker hats, too. It's important to avoid using one sponge for both dark and light hats.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy