Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage Advice

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

part of my room and my closet.

Hat storage and fending off larva!

Since I only have a few hats and have boxes for all but one, I like to keep my hats in the box. I also put an aromatic cedar block inside each box, which I attached using sticky velcro tape. This allows me to remove the blocks and sand them when the aromatic quality drops. Sanding will bring back the aromatics by exposing new wood and the volitiles that make up the aromatic.

The use of cedar blocks and/or mothball type products is recomended to keep any larva from your fur felt hats. Just make sure that they do not touch the hats.

Best wishes,

Table Clip for Hats!

I had suggested this previously, there are a couple of places that make a clip that is for womens handbags.

It clamps onto the table and allows a woman to hang her bag.

It seems to me that there should be a way to take the basic design and modify it to accomedate a mans fedora.

See here:
http://liquidpetal.com/productlist.aspx?GrpID=HBA&sm=1b6
and
http://www.flosaccessories.com/default.aspx?
or
http://www.alibaba.com/productsearch/handbag_hanger.html

The purse hanger looks to fold flat, so you could put it in a jacket pocket.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Thanks John.Thats good advice. I love the smell of cedar and i already have some blocks that i use when storing my handknit sweaters.

Love those hatboxes of yours by the way! They are almost as impressive as your hat collection:)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Thanks Dean

deanglen said:
I LOVE bud's "wall of Glory", a veritable sea of C-crowns and thin ribbons, and I'm sure that I can even see the Stratoliner pins on some of them! TOO, TOO beautiful! It would also make a grand jigsaw puzzle scene!

dean

You are much to kind. I have added the top shelf since I last posted. I am pretty happy with my hat rack. I used raw sanded cedar boards (1X6) for the back and (1X10) for the shelf.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Mine are mostly either on shelves (where I can leave the front brim hanging over) or hanging on good old prosaic large nails. I have a strip of wood mounted above the closet door (with nails in it) that holds three hats, and I can get six more on shelves in the closet above the coat rod. The rest are in boxes in an upstairs bedroom.

rick54

New in Town
Thanks gents, all good points indeed! Speaking of hat clips, I remember as a small child seeing the clips on the back of pews in a Catholic church. Always got in trouble for snapping them!

I don't like the idea of having to leave my hat in the car either, due to no safe place to put it once inside. Yes, I do think about theft. But I must say that the hotel in question here is the Amway Grand, in Grand Rapids Michigan, and owned by the founders of Amway, Rich DeVos and Jay VanAndel. The cloakroom is directly behind the hostess station, not open to the public, and is impecable as far as cleanliness goes. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a spot of dirt anywhere in the hotel, the whole place is spotless! Each coat and hat are tagged in some way so that she knows which coat and hat goes with which table. So I take it from what you all have described, this treatment is not the norm as far as hotels go. Well, I think I've found a gem then. We'll be returning again tomorrow for breakfast , and I'll pay a little more attention.
Such deserving attention of a hostess is certainly worthy of a generous tip in my book!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's mine.....

Here's my hat Rack.I currently have 2 like this but, I'm in the process of making 2 more for myself, as I grew out of the two I recently made. :eusa_doh:

I'm attempting a vertical rack this time around, I hope it works. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner