Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Tipping

rick54

New in Town
I'd like to thank those forum readers who directed me to Optimo Hat Company. I paid a visit to Graham and staff this past weekend. Fantastic store, staff, and visit!
I was able to leave with a beautiful quartz Homburg Saturday, which I wore around Chicago the rest of the weekend before heading back to Michigan.
I received several compliments on the hat, and it certainly was a head turner with both men and especially the women. If you're ever in Chicago, the Optimo Hat Company should certainly be at the top of your list for a visit.
My question has to do with the etiquette of hat tipping. Things have become so bad these days in regards to this subject, that one often sees baseball caps being worn at the playing of the Nation Anthem, let alone tipping the hat when meeting a lady!
I'd like to ask you gents who do wear hats, if you do follow the rules of tipping your hat on meeting a lady, or has this show of respect gone the way of the women's liberation movement? I'm sure my grandmother would understand and appreciate the gesture, but I'm not so sure that any lady below the age of sixty-five today would understand the meaning! They'd probably ask to see my actor's guild card if I were to do it!
You'd think that common sense would dictate that a hat is removed at least for the playing of the National Anthem and / or the passing of the colors in a parade along the street, but as far as the other rules, how closely do you observe them?

There is a thread titled "Hat Etiquette" form late October 2006 that has a lot of the when, where and why. I don't tip my hat to people I don't know and rarely to people I do know, but when indoors if I have to address anyone or ask anyone a question I take my hat off.

National Anthem, flag cerimonies and parade flags, off. Church, off. At graveside funerals, when the prayer comes, off.

It is when you feel an obligation to show respect.

Who?

Practically Family
I have been thinking about graveside hat etiquette lately, being of an age where friends and relatives are beginning to depart. I have decided that if I am standing there in a pouring rain, with no disrespect to the deceased or attendant clergy, I will leave my hat on. Perhaps I will try to stand at the back of the crowd to avoid offending.

I just cannot convince myself that removing one's hat in a downpour is either sensible or respectful.

Comments?

Who? said:
I have been thinking about graveside hat etiquette lately, being of an age where friends and relatives are beginning to depart. I have decided that if I am standing there in a pouring rain, with no disrespect to the deceased or attendant clergy, I will leave my hat on. Perhaps I will try to stand at the back of the crowd to avoid offending. I just cannot convince myself that removing one's hat in a downpour is either sensible or respectful.

Comments?

I'd say you need to own and use an umbrella!

Who?

Practically Family
John;

Well, my reason for posting was to see what the opinion of the group was. If your reply is any indication, it was a stupid idea.

Tnx

Always Prepared!

Who? said:
John;
Well, my reason for posting was to see what the opinion of the group was. If your reply is any indication, it was a stupid idea.
Tnx
No Smack Down intended, just want to get you up to speed!;)

If you are in the position, I don't think anyone wants you to get pneumonia, least of all the dearly departed so yes leave your hat on.

BUT one of the things you will find is, as an adult you want to be proper and prepared. As a man you should try not to be careless. If you can lead by example, then maybe others will learn from your lead.

I have 2 umbrellas, a full size one and a collapsable Totes brand travel umbrella for in the vehicle when the rainy season hits. If it rains and it was unanticipated, I will still have the one in the vehicle.

Stay Dry!

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Showing respect...

I invariably tip my hat when meeting a woman, or even in passing if our eyes meet. I don't take it off my head, rather I lightly hold the front of the brim 'tween thumb and forefinger and nod my head down. The women are almost always charmed by the respect and acknowledgment, and many say so as their eyes sparkle.

Mindraker

Familiar Face
I don't "tip my hat", but I -do- hold the door open for the next person, regardless of gender, I remove my hat indoors, and take it off at the anthem (military background, perhaps).
I offered my seat at the bus stop once to a lady and it made her day.
I think that the tipping of the hat is partially a generational thing. I guess I never grew up seeing my dad doing it, therefore I never got accustomed to that.

Russ

One of the Regulars
When I remember!

When I meet a lady whom I know in the street -- especially an older lady -- I will tip my hat if I remember. But having lived in Tokyo for nearly 20 years, my condition response is to smile and bow slightly and then remember I should have tipped my hat after it's too late! At least I'm trying...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I am in Japan It takes me a couple of days to become accustomed to bowing at the right time. I still am confussed about when to stop. I do enjoy Japan as it seems to be one of the few places that still recognizes respect and politeness. Whether it is genuine or mearly conditioning I appreciate it.

Twitch

Hey John, that the difference in Californian and Conneticut. You and I think about the act of hat removal during a funeral as normal, 2nd nature and back there it becomes a controversy of whether it will rain or not and how that will dictate etiquette.lol

Anyone that doesn't remove his headgear during the nation anthem is an ass.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Or perhaps deserves to wear one for a hat :eusa_doh:

Out of doors I tug & nod for all I make social contact with. If trading (say with a vendor) or simply passing by, I don't do either. (New York, hey.)
In lobbies and stores, I sometimes uncover, sometimes not. Depends on the nature of the place.
In elevators, I uncover if females enter.

feltfan

Marc Chevalier said:
Hat tipping, eh?

When my hat gives me good service, I give it a 20% tip, maybe more.

And there I thought it was like cow tipping.
I'd better stop knocking peoples' hats off.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't tip the hat check... though I tip the hat now and again.

Many time I doff the whole felt cover when in the presence of a lady.

Standards are hard to define for hat decorum. Old rules don't stand as they once did, though for me they still stand.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
i see a number of gender rules running about in here. nothing wrong with that, but...i'm female, mid-20s, and i invariably tip my hat to my elders (well, unless my hands are full, which isn't so invariable). i also tip my hat when being introduced. my parents taught me to observe several forms of respect. i was invited into a new friend's home recently for a few minutes' visit, and startled him by both removing my hat and standing when his grandmother entered the room.

[huh]

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Ladies genderly speaking have no rules when it comes to hat ettiquette... save maybe one. Wear not a hat to your own party as it may look as though you are getting ready to go somewhere better.

And please take it off in the theater.

We do have different genders. rules however are arbitrary and not set in stone so do as you wish.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Rick54,

Welcome to the Lounge. It's good to see another Michigander here (I grew up about 10 minutes from Rockford).

I agree with much of what has already been said. I ALWAYS remove my hat during the National Anthem and during the presentation of Colors at parades. It also comes off when entering churches or federal buildings.

Other "rules" tend to be a little less stringent. I usually tip my hat to ladies that are older, or to whom I have made extended eye contact. I don't tip my hat to gentlemen as I still view it as an insult. I usually keep it on indoors unless entering someone's home or office. And, of course, I remove my hat at restaurants.

As Matt stated, the old rules don't stand the way they used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou