Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat too small

Duck

Practically Family
Just recieved a Dobb's stingy brim that I won the bid and it's too small. I was worried about it being a little too large with the measurement listed (no size in hat). I had no idea the seller was measuring the OUTSIDE of the hat!!:eusa_doh:
Who in their right mind would give the outside circumference?[huh]

Ok, rant off now, I just had to blow some steam.
I don't know if I should keep it and try to stretch it, or not.

What's a hat?

Duck said:
I had no idea the seller was measuring the OUTSIDE of the hat!!:eusa_doh: Who in their right mind would give the outside circumference?[huh] I don't know if I should keep it and try to stretch it, or not.
A lot of people are not fans or interested in the product they are trying to sell and therefore don't have any idea as to the What Where Why How or even how much.

I asked a seller on Ebay what the brim size was on a fedora and they came back asking what the brim was! :eusa_doh: So we see that even the most basic, mundane information has escaped from everyday life.

majormoore

Vendor
If you have a hatters rule, you can pretty much tell what the size of the hat is when you measure the outside of a hat.

I use mine all the time , just to recheck the hat I blocked, not saying it's 100% and this is the way you should do it, but it does help understand what size the hat really may be.

Mike Moore

If it is a small jump you may be able to use a hat stretcher, but use caution as the sweat band and ribbon can be damaged. Also you can put a ledge in the felt at the edge of the stretcher. There's threads on stretching hats here so try the search for some outlines on the endeavor.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:

I asked a seller on Ebay what the brim size was on a fedora and they came back asking what the brim was! :eusa_doh: So we see that even the most basic, mundane information has escaped from everyday life.

I can do that one better...here is the text of Q & A for a Open Road style fawn colored number that has been "Buy it now" at $98.99 for a few months...HHHMMmmm...I wonder not why when I read the following;

"Q: Hello & greetings from Tennessee! could you pls. tell me the width of the brim? It looks like about 2 - 2.5 inches (from crown to edge) but it is difficult to tell. thx Greg

A: Dear Greg: Thank you very kindly for your interest in this Hat! :~) I'm going to provide you with additional measurements all around - the front section of the top of the brim measures approximately 2 7/8i inches; the back 2 1/8 inches; left side of brim 2 inches; right side by feather nearly 3 inches. Please feel free to inquire further if I have not satisfactorily provided you with the information you require. :~) Kindest regards, Andrea"

[huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Well, if nothing else Rick, that hat is certainly custom and one of a kind!

It's the new oblong chic!

Best,
Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran