Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats As Sun Protection, NOT Just for Bald Men

Thwack

Familiar Face
This past weekend I was at a graduation, girlfriend's brother was getting his bachelors. There were 9 of us there and I was the only one who's face, neck, and top of the head weren't horribly burnt by the end of the day. Now I admit, I should have worn sun screen (we all should have) but at least I had the sense to wear my hat and keep as much sun off me as I could! The fedora wins again!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've worn hats almost continuously since about 20 years old. Before that I had an afro (couldnt fit a hat on it), and before that I wore ball caps. I bought my first fedora when I was about 22. About that time, I got seriously into motorcycles, and there was no room for a fedora on a bike (no saddlebags), so I wore ball caps, or my newsboy caps, that I could put inside my jacket while riding.

When not riding, however, I wear a fedora. I love them for their style, and for the fact that the brim, when the hat is properly positioned, can block the bright sky down to the horizon, something a ball cap, with its curved bill, cannot do.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I always wear a hat outside (unless it's blowing a gale) and I've got a full head of hair. I'm fair skinned and burn easily plus I get heat stroke easily too. But I stick a hat on (even felt) and I'm fine in the sun plus it's great in the rain. And like Scotty says, if you've got a wider brim (fav Fedora is a Fed IV) it does a great job of keeping the sun out of my eyes (even if I'm wearing sunglasses).

Chinaski

One Too Many
I spent many summers as a youth getting fried by the sun. This past year for the first time I went to the Dr. due to a rough patch of skin on my nose, and got a shot of liquid nitrogen in a couple places on my face. I've always been into hats, but will definitely wear them outdoors more often. This is a perfectly legitimate justification for purchasing more hats!!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Especially if you have "Irish" complexion.

I feel NAKED without a hat.

I also am wearing BLUE LIZARD sun screen. Supposedly it has the good SPF stuff in it.

Yep. In the 60's, we all got fried by the sun. And now we find out that exposure to the sun is cumulative...

WEAR A HAT ALWAYS and SUNSCREEN.

Rule17

New in Town
Australian schools

Recognising that Australia has the world's highest incidence of skin cancer, schools here won't let children out in the sun unless they're wearing hats. It amazes me, therefore, that almost none of my adult friends wears a hat of any kind, even an awful baseball cap. They're taught how dangerous the sun is but they can't be persuaded to wear a hat, despite all the PSAs to that effect.

A saleslady at the Hattery in the Blue Mountains told me they get lots of customers who've had skin cancer on their ears and necks and come in for proper hats. They've learned too late that they should have paid more attention in school :eusa_doh:

awest84532

Familiar Face
Another year!

It was a flashback to see this thread again. It was the first one I posted on, and...

Well, I made it another year and do have several more hats. I also got a new ear in the mail Saturday:). I wold rather it had been a new hat, oh well. The new ear followed new scans a couple of weeks before which were clear.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Learned about the sun and it's effects livin' down here in Texas. Even with broad brimmed western hats, it still takes it's toll. lot's a older ranchers and farmers with skin cancer still even wearing a hat. But it definately HELPS :)

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I am glad to say that I have always worn a hat, from the time I was a young lad, anytime I was working out in the sun, and even when I wasn't most of the time.

I also ride motorcycles, and I have been made fun of by my riding buddies, on occcasion for always wearing long sleaved western shirts and a leather vest, and gloves, no matter how hot it gets, while they wear short sleaved tee shirts but they are the ones always complaining about how hot it is. With all of that bare skin showing, they just cook on a sunny day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy